Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on what Professor to Choose BUS-421
Hi. 

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any favorite or preferred professors for the Business Capstone BUS-421 at TESU.  I am signing up for November 2018 term and want to seek out direction from all of you knowledgable and experienced folks.

Thanks.
(09-18-2018, 08:22 PM)casencarrie Wrote: Hi. 

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any favorite or preferred professors for the Business Capstone BUS-421 at TESU.  I am signing up for November 2018 term and want to seek out direction from all of you knowledgable and experienced folks.

Thanks.

Hey casencarrie! I took the BUS-421 capstone back in January and my professor was Jack Lampman. He was very helpful, responsive to questions, and active in the discussion forums. If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ to find reviews on potential professors.
BSBA:CIS & ASNSM:CS from TESU - June 2018 Graduation

CLEP: A&I Lit., Intro Sociology, Biology, Western Civ. I & II, US History I & II, American Government, Intro Psychology, Macroecon., Microecon., Princ. of Management, Princ. of Marketing, Intro Business Law, Financial Accounting
DSST: Ethics in America, Intro to World Religions, Computing and Information Systems, Princ. of Finance, Management Information Systems
CollegePlus: Comparative Worldviews, Social Justice
Lumerit: English Comp. I & II, Intro to Business
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Intro to Stats
Saylor: Corporate Communications
TECEP: Managerial Accounting. Business in Society, Network Technology
Study.com: Comm 101, Digital Marketing and Advertising
Straighterline: Intro to Programming C++
CSU-Global CBE: Information Systems Analysis and Design
TESU: BUS-421
[-] The following 1 user Likes TacticalTechie's post:
  • peacel

Thanks.

Hi,
I'm finishing Bus-421 final assignment tonight!! I've have Jacob (Jack) Aschkenazi. So far he's been really fast at grading assignments early the next morning after they are due, and he's always quick to respond to my emails, and asks questions on the discussion boards - so i think he's pretty good. There is a lot of writing in this class.
JD
(09-20-2018, 10:43 PM)TacticalTechie Wrote:

Thanks.

Hey casencarrie! I took the BUS-421 capstone back in January and my professor was Jack Lampman. He was very helpful, responsive to questions, and active in the discussion forums. If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ to find reviews on potential professors.

I just registered for the November BUS-421 Online Capstone and selected Professor Lampman due in part to this recommendation. I also checked his rating on ratemyprofessors.com and he's a 3.9, which is pretty decent overall. The reviews suggest that he's a hard grader; an older review even suggested that he doesn't give grades higher than a 93 so its hard to get A's in his course, but that was contracted by another review. Hopefully, his grading is reasonable now.

This is my first traditional online course, so I'm curious to see how things go. Particularly given that BUS-421 is apparently heavy on writing. While I can write well, I tend to avoid academic writing as much as I can and end up rushing through writing assignments, doing the minimum needed to get them out of the way. Since the capstone will encompass my only graded credits, I probably need to be more focused on the writing here. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Jdesign, TacticalTechie
(09-24-2018, 11:42 AM)Merlin Wrote:

Thanks.

I just registered for the November BUS-421 Online Capstone and selected Professor Lampman due in part to this recommendation. I also checked his rating on ratemyprofessors.com and he's a 3.9, which is pretty decent overall. The reviews suggest that he's a hard grader; an older review even suggested that he doesn't give grades higher than a 93 so its hard to get A's in his course, but that was contracted by another review. Hopefully, his grading is reasonable now.

This is my first traditional online course, so I'm curious to see how things go. Particularly given that BUS-421 is apparently heavy on writing. While I can write well, I tend to avoid academic writing as much as I can and end up rushing through writing assignments, doing the minimum needed to get them out of the way. Since the capstone will encompass my only graded credits, I probably need to be more focused on the writing here. Smile

I just enrolled and paid for my November Capstone with professor Lampman as well. See you in class! haha.
(09-24-2018, 03:01 PM)activechamp06 Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 11:42 AM)Merlin Wrote:

Thanks.

I just enrolled and paid for my November Capstone with professor Lampman as well. See you in class! haha.

Hehe, nice. Yep, see you there. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
I've checked ratings for professors on ratemyprofessor and was curious about getting forum feedback on BSBA Capstone Professors at Tesu. Does is month offer different professors? Is that how it works? I was leaning towards Ness but don't see him available for March. Maybe he'll have class beginning April?
Am also curious about:
Christie Cruse (OL course)
Jack Lampman (GS)

Some mentioned above, having Lampman but hadn't started their course yet. How would you rate him now?
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
(02-05-2019, 04:07 PM)scout2family Wrote: I've checked ratings for professors on ratemyprofessor and was curious about getting forum feedback on BSBA Capstone Professors at Tesu. Does is month offer different professors? Is that how it works? I was leaning towards Ness but don't see him available for March. Maybe he'll have class beginning April?
Am also curious about:
Jack Lampman (GS)

Some mentioned above, having Lampman but hadn't started their course yet. How would you rate him now?

I had Lampman for my OL course, he's a good mentor, though he can be a bit slow to post grades (probably because he's juggling multiple classes). He grades tough but fair, and provides feedback with each grade. If you follow the APA guidelines in your papers and put in the extra effort to meet or exceed the rubric requirements, he will reward you with a good grade.

There is a ton of writing in this course. I hope you're prepared. Smile

I suggest the OL (Online) vs GS (Guided Study) version of the course since it means the final paper has less weight. You'll have to do a few more discussion forum posts, but that's an acceptable tradeoff IMO.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(02-05-2019, 06:57 PM)Merlin Wrote: There is a ton of writing in this course. I hope you're prepared. Smile

HAA! 3 College Comp/Writing courses have YET to help me! My weakness has always been 'writing' properly. I will need an editor/tutor to go over my assignments! LOL 

Thanks for the good info!
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
(02-05-2019, 04:07 PM)scout2family Wrote: I've checked ratings for professors on ratemyprofessor and was curious about getting forum feedback on BSBA Capstone Professors at Tesu. Does is month offer different professors? Is that how it works? I was leaning towards Ness but don't see him available for March. Maybe he'll have class beginning April?
Am also curious about:
Jack Lampman (GS)

Mine has been with Cruse. I think she's fine. She is always prompt to answer questions posted in the ask the mentor forum. There is also a private forum to ask questions but I haven't used that. The grading is super slow but I'm guessing that like other mentors she's busy with other classes. She does provide feedback on most of the papers. There was only one of mine that she didn't, but even I felt the structure of that paper was awkward in places. I probably should have worked on it a bit more. The class otherwise runs itself. She never comments in the discussion forums. I haven't taken any other classes at TESU so I don't know what is common for mentors to do in those forums. Obviously I'm very self-directed so her more hands-off approach is fine with me. If you follow her announcements and the guidelines/rubrics you can get a good grade. You will do a lot of writing, though. The pace of this class is fierce no matter which mentor you have.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice tpell1219 14 487 Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Last Post: RJ77
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 281 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,263 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Good study advice for my TECEPS? kowenboy 3 371 09-01-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Accounting Electives Advice Chudson 0 302 07-11-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Chudson
  Advice: Taking a bunch of writing TECEPs tomorrow. CanICode 10 1,215 05-28-2023, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BACIS/BSSC TESU Class Advice dernsaw 5 661 12-13-2022, 01:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Advice for a liberal studies-psychology student futureaccountingstudent 6 894 03-15-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  TESU - Classes, Credits and What to do? Need Advice. Risingstar 6 1,261 02-18-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Risingstar
  Advice on these three TESU Liberal Arts Capstone advisors? Jenna.C 21 4,817 01-18-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: bartlebuck