Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Affordable Health Care Law
Just asking...how is everyone being affected by the Affordable Health Care Act?
My insurance @ work is going up $140.00 per month. :ack:
So I guess it's only affordable if you don't use it!
pinkrose Wrote:Just asking...how is everyone being affected by the Affordable Health Care Act?
My insurance @ work is going up $140.00 per month. :ack:
So I guess it's only affordable if you don't use it!

Not at all for me as an employee. I work for a large'ish company that's pretty employee-friendly. They're absorbing the employer expenses rather than passing them on in premium increases, and our three offered policy options already met (and far surpassed) all the standards set by the Act. Our premiums will go up 5% on Jan. 1, which is pretty standard from year to year. The policy itself is largely unchanged (only one change that comes to mind, and it works in our favor for a policy improvement).

As the HR rep at my location, I've fielded approximately 5,482,912 questions from our employees who were confused by literature received in the mail that made them think they HAD to go sign up at Healthcare.gov, so it's been a pain in my tush explaining 5,482,912 times and mentioning 12 times in our various Open Enrollment meetings that they only need to do that if they a) have waived our coverage and are not covered elsewhere, or b) want to shop alternatives (of which our policy is considerably cheaper and better than what's offered on the Exchange).
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Understandable. I guess a lot of people have been confused by it. I feel bad for so many people, not only by an rate increase, but others having been dropped altogether.

The company I work for has opted to keep spousal coverage, very lucky about that. My husband's insurance will go for another year; so next year he will go on my coverage because I don't want him forced on the exchange. Not sure if it will cost the same, but I would rather have both of us on my insurance instead of him using the exchange. :patriot:
mrs.b Wrote:Not at all for me as an employee. I work for a large'ish company that's pretty employee-friendly. They're absorbing the employer expenses rather than passing them on in premium increases, and our three offered policy options already met (and far surpassed) all the standards set by the Act. Our premiums will go up 5% on Jan. 1, which is pretty standard from year to year. The policy itself is largely unchanged (only one change that comes to mind, and it works in our favor for a policy improvement).

As the HR rep at my location, I've fielded approximately 5,482,912 questions from our employees who were confused by literature received in the mail that made them think they HAD to go sign up at Healthcare.gov, so it's been a pain in my tush explaining 5,482,912 times and mentioning 12 times in our various Open Enrollment meetings that they only need to do that if they a) have waived our coverage and are not covered elsewhere, or b) want to shop alternatives (of which our policy is considerably cheaper and better than what's offered on the Exchange).

I thought that if someone has an employer that offers insurance, that person can't go on the exchange unless the employer's insurance is deemed unaffordable (over 9.5% of annual earnings). Or, does that only apply to receiving subsidies to purchase on the exchange?

I saw my company's insurance rates from this past year and the coming year. There was only one minor change. Our insurance rates are about the same.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Or, does that only apply to receiving subsidies to purchase on the exchange?

That. If the employer's plan is deemed "affordable," employees will likely not receive premium reductions. That does not mean it can't be shopped and purchased, but it will likely be far more expensive than the plan available through the employer.
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
I will check my opinions of the whole thing at the door.

But we are a large company (50k+), however to not pay increases we have to take voluntary health screenings, and commit to at least 1 health activity.
This is employee and spouse commit to get a no increase, if only employee does the above, then its a small increase of about $30-50 a month, if neither do it, it's $60-100 a month.

HR says it has nothing to do with ACA.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
scorched Wrote:HR says it has nothing to do with ACA.

It doesn't. Mandatory health screenings are fairly standard practice to ensure employees know their health risks so they can seek preventative care, rather than wait for a catastrophic illness to rear its ugly head in the form of costly hospital stays, surgeries, or worse. To talk just money, it is much less expensive to pay those annual doctor visits and labs, and potential maintenance drug scripts for things like blood pressure or cholesterol medicine, or insulin, than to wait for heart disease or diabetes to get bad enough that they make themselves known in more symptomatic ways. It makes financial sense, and savings are seen in reduced premiums which good companies then pass on to their employees. Then there's the cost involved in an employee being out for an extended period of time on health leave, when coworkers need to carry the burden of a work load, or temporary help has to be brought in to fill the gap and trained. That's just the benefits to the employer; employees hopefully value their lives enough to see that an annual visit to the doc - even if the hand is forced by an insurance requirement - serves them in hopefully preventing the discomfort, stress, and potential life-threatening illnesses associated with the severe medical conditions those screenings are designed to identify. My employer required mandatory health screenings before ACA was a major talking point. I'm waiting for them to hike premiums through the roof for smokers.
- Arnold Fletcher Award

I am union, so there have only been a few changes like keeping kids on longer and dropping lifetime cap. I would gladly pay higher taxes if the governmen would allow the uninsured to buy into Medicare. I have lived in the UK and wasvery impressed with their national health system.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
What if the uninsured don't want insurance?
"Those who expect to be ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson

Graduated, Finished, Completed!! my B.A. in History from TESC!!!!! Technically February 2013 & Generally May 2013!!!
They will be taxed. This was done so that people wouldn't put off buying insurance until they get really sick raising rates for everyone else. This was also done so that taxpayers wouldn't have to foot the bill when they go to the emergency room and don't pay.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Want or Not Want Government Care? Kal Di 24 1,953 02-14-2022, 10:20 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Learning Care Group Acquires Young School bjcheung77 0 585 05-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  iPhone SE 2020 - Most Affordable iPhone $399 bjcheung77 4 1,176 04-16-2020, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Employers don't care where you went to school, nor about your GPA...Atlantic article. rebel100 22 2,617 11-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Thank God for the Affordable Care Act sanantone 13 2,104 08-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Last Post: defscarlett
  Do you take care of your health????? YaakaKhiladi 11 1,377 09-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Last Post: namwen
  Raise your hand if you don't care about the debates ryoder 23 2,528 10-26-2012, 06:33 AM
  Health Insurance STG 3 1,039 08-18-2011, 04:06 AM
  Most Affordable Colleges burbuja0512 4 1,371 07-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Last Post: CLEP101
  hear to your health whitesampam 1 912 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Last Post: NAP