Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afit
Has anyone thought of pursuing a graduate degree with AFIT? I just searched AFIT on this forum and there's not even one post on it. Any reason why?
College Mathematics: 59 | Humanities: 58 | College Comp Modular: 58 | Intro. to Psychology: 65 | Public Speaking: 61/X | College Algebra: 63 | Technical Writing: 56 | Astronomy: 62 | Intro. to Computing: 462 | Macroeconomics: 59 | Microeconomics: 64 | Money & Banking: 52 | Marketing: 59 | Calculus: 47 | A&I Lit: 64
Because this forum is focused on using CLEPs to test out of the Big 3 schools. It just happens to have a military forum on it for military-specific issues.

AFIT now takes a small amount of enlisted students. They fought to keep enlisted out even as enrollments were down and they were dying for students, but they finally relented and it's been a win-win for everyone so far. It would be an incredible experience if you are able to go.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I'll just drop this here for future reference. Blew my mind. I just found out AFIT accepts applicants without orders, meaning you can apply without command sponsorship. Maybe even as a civilian! But you have to pay tuition. Thankfully they accept VA GI Bill benefits to pay the tuition.

Incredible.

CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems

UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Sorbik Wrote:Has anyone thought of pursuing a graduate degree with AFIT? I just searched AFIT on this forum and there's not even one post on it. Any reason why?

Hi Sorbik,
Anyone can start a thread on here. This is the first I've hear do AFIT (not that it applies to me) but I bet others that it might apply to would like to know more. Why don't you gather some facts about this program and start a thread so others can benefit from your research? That way it can grow from there as others add to it.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Moving to Ohio is not my idea of fun so AFIT is out the running for me.
Yet another surreal twist just happened.

AFIT has a distance learning master's degree in systems engineering with tracks in space programs, logistics, and lean engineering. A thesis is mandatory. AFIT Graduate School of Enginnering & Management - Extension Services

I just sent them an e-mail to find out if civilians can enroll, just in case somebody is interested someday.

I wonder if I would be able to move into a masters degree in computer engineering with my BA Computer Science at TESC? I still have a few things to get situated before I can apply for the next AF rated or nonrated board, namely I need to prepare for my afqt, take a few more cleps and finish my courseload at tesc with a 3.5. (Made the mistake of taking 5 courses at once while working FT and clepping!) I should be able to breath again within the next 3 months :-). I'd move to Ohio if the AF sends me there, I like Cincinnati :-).
E-mail and ask. I know enlisted slots are competitive, but no idea what the standards are.

I wonder if TA would pay for a DL master's degree from AFIT? Dang.

Found on AFIT's website. You have to be military (active or guard/reserve), foreign military, DoD civilian, or US Gov't employee to apply. Plus, their DL master's program has a mandatory 3 quarter long thesis culminating in an oral defense.

But, assuming you fit the criteria above, if you have the background (one page mentioned the more technical departments wanting 3-4 semesters of calculus) and can pay with TA (apparently yes it is accepted) and the GI Bill for top-up, and you really want it, then you can apply.