Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age waiver denied from TESU. Policy changed Jan. 1, 2018
So... My daughter (15 yrs) has been plugging along through CLEPs, DSSTs, and study.com.  She is within spitting distance of a BSBA from TESU (11 classes left), so we applied again for an age waiver.  She was denied for the second time.  Having heard that students enrolled in Lumerit Scholar are granted an automatic waiver, we enrolled in one of their courses and headed back to TESU to apply.  Sadly, I learned through TESU admissions that the automatic age waiver is no longer granted.  As of January 1, age waivers for "Corporate Partners" such as Lumerit are only granted to students 18+.  Our door has closed on a degree from TESU unless we wait for 2 1/2 years.  Ugh!

So... we never before considered Excelsior or Charter Oak.  Are these still the 2 best places to maximize credits she has already banked?  Do they have an age requirement?

Any advice to someone starting over.  <sigh>

She has completed all of her general ed.  Her emphasis for TESU was General Management and had mostly just AOS classes w/ some professional business courses left.

Thanks if you can help.  <pass the tissue, please> Sad
You'd think the dean would be able to Grant an exception in light of your daughter's amazing progress
(04-04-2018, 03:15 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: So... My daughter (15 yrs) has been plugging along through CLEPs, DSSTs, and study.com.  She is within spitting distance of a BSBA from TESU (11 classes left), so we applied again for an age waiver.  She was denied for the second time.  Having heard that students enrolled in Lumerit Scholar are granted an automatic waiver, we enrolled in one of their courses and headed back to TESU to apply.  Sadly, I learned through TESU admissions that the automatic age waiver is no longer granted.  As of January 1, age waivers for "Corporate Partners" such as Lumerit are only granted to students 18+.  Our door has closed on a degree from TESU

unless we wait for 2 1/2 years.  Ugh!

So... we never before considered Excelsior or Charter Oak.  Are these still the 2 best places to maximize credits she has already banked?  Do they have an age requirement?

She has completed all of her general ed.  Her emphasis for TESU was General Management and had mostly just AOS classes w/ some professional business courses left.

Just tried to apply today for my 15 year old!!! Same issue. DENIED!!! She has accumulated 100 credit hours and now trying to see what the other two colleges have to say. I am sure there will be some credits lost in the process. Ugh!!!
That is a major bummer!!! But all is not lost!

I would definitely look at the other 2 schools, but I would call first and check to make sure that they will take your child before spending more time on it.

COSC will probably be the cheaper of the 2, and has a BSBA with similar requirements, so I think you'll be ok (actually with EC as well). The only major issue you're going to have is getting the extra UL requirements - both schools require 30cr of UL throughout the degree, not just in the AOS. But I don't think you'll lose too many credits.

Oh yeah, and EC requires Precalc and Stats, whereas COSC just requires College Algebra and Stats.

Contact both schools, and then come back here for help putting together degree plans for both schools to see which one has the best plan for your daughter.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-04-2018, 05:36 PM)Clodyneseidel Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 03:15 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: So... My daughter (15 yrs) has been plugging along through CLEPs, DSSTs, and study.com.  She is within spitting distance of a BSBA from TESU (11 classes left), so we applied again for an age waiver.  She was denied for the second time.  Having heard that students enrolled in Lumerit Scholar are granted an automatic waiver, we enrolled in one of their courses and headed back to TESU to apply.  Sadly, I learned through TESU admissions that the automatic age waiver is no longer granted.  As of January 1, age waivers for "Corporate Partners" such as Lumerit are only granted to students 18+.  Our door has closed on a degree from TESU

Just tried to apply today for my 15 year old!!! Same issue. DENIED!!! She has accumulated 100 credit hours and now trying to see what the other two colleges have to say. I am sure there will be some credits lost in the process. Ugh!!!

I am soooo sorry!  We tried 2 years ago and were told that she needed work experience, so she has been interning as a tech writer/editor.  Now we learn that we are 3 months late with no loop hole.  So bummed!  And I am having the hardest time figuring out Excelsior.  I think this is our only choice at this point.  COSC has a 16 yr. requirement.  Sad

(04-04-2018, 05:51 PM)stampbuyme Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 05:36 PM)Clodyneseidel Wrote:

I am soooo sorry!  We tried 2 years ago and were told that she needed work experience, so she has been interning as a tech writer/editor.  Now we learn that we are 3 months late with no loop hole.  So bummed!  And I am having the hardest time figuring out Excelsior.  I think this is our only choice at this point.  COSC has a 16 yr. requirement.  Sad
Trying Excelsior as well. Charter Oak told us only after she turns 16. She will need double the upper level credits. :-( I have another daughter (12 years old) who started earning credits herself. I think she can take her time. Ugh.
(04-04-2018, 05:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: That is a major bummer!!!  But all is not lost!

I would definitely look at the other 2 schools, but I would call first and check to make sure that they will take your child before spending more time on it.

COSC will probably be the cheaper of the 2, and has a BSBA with similar requirements, so I think you'll be ok (actually with EC as well).  The only major issue you're going to have is getting the extra UL requirements - both schools require 30cr of UL throughout the degree, not just in the AOS.  But I don't think you'll lose too many credits.

Oh yeah, and EC requires Precalc and Stats, whereas COSC just requires College Algebra and Stats.

Contact both schools, and then come back here for help putting together degree plans for both schools to see which one has the best plan for your daughter.

Good luck!
EC has no age restriction and COSC says 16 yrs.  I am leaning toward COSC for no good reason other than it seems to have better feedback in posts I read.  She will be 16 in Oct., so I would be comfortable using their current requirements & holding my breath and proceeding in faith.  I had gotten so adept at navigating TESU's requirements and equivalents, but now my head is just spinning.  I have a spreadsheet that shows what she has so far when plugged into TESU's requirements.  Would that help?  Or if you can you point me to where I can find what is required at each school, I could rework my spreadsheet? 

Jennifer Cook DeRosa tells me that you are a gem.  What do you need from me to put together a degree path so we can keep plugging along?  I would be ever so grateful for whatever help you can give.  Smile
My daughter turns 16 in December. Thomas Edison had it mapped out so nicely ☹️ Her plan was in Liberal Studies.
I wonder if an age waiver would be given if the 16 year old takes the GED before applying? Some states allow homeschoolers to take the GED at 16.
(04-04-2018, 06:32 PM)Clodyneseidel Wrote: My daughter turns 16 in December. Thomas Edison had it mapped out so nicely ☹️ Her plan was in Liberal Studies.

Let me know if you learn anything new.  I am looking at revamping some of our plan to include more UL.  I think we can still pull off a spring '19 grad.  My girl just wants to check school off the list so she can pursue whatever learning strikes her fancy.  She loves to learn, and she is driven to move past the "hafta" with freedom to pursue the "wanna."  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes stampbuyme's post:
  • fork

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,319 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore