Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age waiver denied from TESU. Policy changed Jan. 1, 2018
(04-05-2018, 07:10 AM)Clodyneseidel Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 04:17 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: I wonder if this new policy also applies for Associate´s degrees at TESU. If so, it seems rather silly that someone who has an official high school diploma and is 16 years old would not be able to enroll for an Associate´s degree.

TESU’s mission is returning adults. 18 is the minimum age for an exception as long as you can bring 24 credits. That’s what they told me yesterday. They said their current president wants to stay “true to the mission.”

TESU standard admittance age requirement is 21, so as listed above 18 years old is an exception.  I think they are looking for a certain level of maturity (as in life experience - that can only come with age).  I commend you for having your teens ahead in college credits, now might be a good time for them to get some business (professional work/intern) experience to gain that sort of maturity and understanding; they clearly already have the educational commitment maturity.   Also, they only have a few more years left to be kids so slowing down the degree pace altogether is an viable option too.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Does anybody know the age requirement at WGU? I know that at Athabasca it is 16.
(04-05-2018, 07:46 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Does anybody know the age requirement at WGU? I know that at Athabasca it is 16.

Age requirement for WGU is 16 years old - https://www.wgu.edu/admissions.htm
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I'm so sorry for the ones that did not get in. My 17yr old applied very early in Jan. It took them a long time to approve him; I think it was over 3 weeks. He even sent an email inquiring about the status and they said they had not made a decision yet. They must have been in the process of deciding the new requirements. He had taken several courses at RA Universities in 2017, maybe that helped him squeeze in. I feel very lucky. It would have been a bummer if he had to change schools because all the ACE courses he had completed had been tailored to TESU.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
I can't find anything in the regional accreditation sites, but I wonder if this is pressure coming from them. I suggest that because I've noticed a number of RA colleges that use the wording "for adults" in their online info. Those programs specifically allow a good amount of alternative (non college) credit. It makes me think that colleges get some kind of extra allowance when a program is for adults / returning adults. Perhaps allowing younger students would put that in jeopardy? We lost Shawn Ambrose last year, but he would have known the answer. I'm just guessing of course, but the hesitation and outright refusal of schools like TESU to admit students when there is an open enrollment policy and no residency requirement begs the question "why?"
(04-05-2018, 09:59 AM)mudball Wrote: I'm so sorry for the ones that did not get in. My 17yr old applied very early in Jan. It took them a long time to approve him; I think it was over 3 weeks. He even sent an email inquiring about the status and they said they had not made a decision yet. They must have been in the process of deciding the new requirements. He had taken several courses at RA Universities in 2017, maybe that helped him squeeze in. I feel very lucky. It would have been a bummer if he had to change schools because all the ACE courses he had completed had been tailored to TESU.

Sincerely happy for you, mudball.  We are thankful to know now.  I think it adds maybe 2 more classes to our load.  More $, too, but we still have a path to a degree by mostly exam.  Hiccup in life.  Moving on...  Best wishes to your son!
[-] The following 1 user Likes stampbuyme's post:
  • mudball
All Excelsior is asking is a copy of her High School diploma and a letter handwritten by my daughter giving her parents permission to speak for her when necessary. . Excited ? She is most likely accepted at 15 years old.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clodyneseidel's post:
  • stampbuyme
I didn't read through the entire thread, but I just want to say that when I graduated from COSC, I spent the $$ to go to Connecticut and actually walk in the ceremony. There were two students that were 16 and COSC specifically called them up to the stage and congratulated them.

This was 2011, so no clue if they still do this, but I would recommend COSC for the sole reason that it's a state school that is comfortable with 16 year olds. Nothing against EC, but I do really enjoy being able to say that I went to a "small state college in CT." It just sounds better IMHO.

I can see why some schools wouldn't want to do the age waiver too often. There's a balance between finding Doogie Howser and just looking like you're easy to graduate from. Makes sense to me, but I think COSC's 16 is very reasonable. If they've got a lot of time on their hand before turning 16, they can do a minor, or even better focus on some certificates, or volunteer work that will help them get a job. Since you can't really just get a job with a degree and no experience, volunteer time is probably just as valuable if not more than an early degree. Especially considering that a Big 3 degree means that you probably missed an opportunity for an internship.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(04-05-2018, 10:41 AM)Clodyneseidel Wrote: All Excelsior is asking is a copy of her High School diploma and a letter handwritten by my daughter giving her parents permission to speak for her when necessary. . Excited ? She is most likely accepted at 15 years old.

I did a lot of research on Charter Oak yesterday, but am feeling uneasy about pursuing that route if we can't lock in requirements until she is 16.  That move has already cost us a little.  Was it free to apply to Excelsior?  They sure responded fast!  Encouraging!  Thanks for updating.
(04-05-2018, 10:56 AM)stampbuyme Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 10:41 AM)Clodyneseidel Wrote: All Excelsior is asking is a copy of her High School diploma and a letter handwritten by my daughter giving her parents permission to speak for her when necessary. . Excited ? She is most likely accepted at 15 years old.

I did a lot of research on Charter Oak yesterday, but am feeling uneasy about pursuing that route if we can't lock in requirements until she is 16.  That move has already cost us a little.  Was it free to apply to Excelsior?  They sure responded fast!  Encouraging!  Thanks for updating.

It cost $50 to apply. They responded right away. The advisor called too. My husband just spoke to him. It seems like they will accept her based on the fact that she graduated High School. He asked for the copy of the diploma. I think normally age requirement is 18.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,967 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,656 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,089 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,629 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,723 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,335 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,583 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,316 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,368 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,854 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore