Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age waiver denied from TESU. Policy changed Jan. 1, 2018
(04-05-2018, 11:08 AM)Clodyneseidel Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 10:56 AM)stampbuyme Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 10:41 AM)Clodyneseidel Wrote: All Excelsior is asking is a copy of her High School diploma and a letter handwritten by my daughter giving her parents permission to speak for her when necessary. . Excited ? She is most likely accepted at 15 years old.

I did a lot of research on Charter Oak yesterday, but am feeling uneasy about pursuing that route if we can't lock in requirements until she is 16.  That move has already cost us a little.  Was it free to apply to Excelsior?  They sure responded fast!  Encouraging!  Thanks for updating.

It cost $50 to apply. They responded right away. The advisor called too. My husband just spoke to him. It seems like they will accept her based on the fact that she graduated High School. He asked for the copy of the diploma. I think normally age requirement is 18.

Just peeked at their catalog, and it reads like the CLEP College Comp does not count for their writing requirement.  Also, we homeschooled, so I am wondering if they would be very impressed with our "diploma."  It's legal, but...  I found nothing on their site about age requirement.  Ok... back to hoop jumping.  Smile
(04-05-2018, 10:41 AM)Clodyneseidel Wrote: All Excelsior is asking is a copy of her High School diploma and a letter handwritten by my daughter giving her parents permission to speak for her when necessary. . Excited ? She is most likely accepted at 15 years old.

I did a lot of research on Charter Oak yesterday, but am feeling uneasy about pursuing that route if we can't lock in requirements until she is 16.  That move has already cost us a little.  Was it free to apply to Excelsior?  They sure responded fast!  Encouraging!  Thanks for updating.

It cost $50 to apply. They responded right away. The advisor called too. My husband just spoke to him. It seems like they will accept her based on the fact that she graduated High School. He asked for the copy of the diploma. I think normally age requirement is 18.

Excelsior College is free to apply with credit affiliation with Study.com, SL, Sofia, etc - there are others as well, when you apply you can search the list.  This is not very well publicized for some reason on this forum. They offer other discounts as well with the partnerships. Note they do require a minimum of 12 credits (approx 4 courses) through them for these discounts, but the other annual fees are waived; so depending on the situation it could be close to equal  - please refer to the website for more information.

https://my.excelsior.edu/web/partners
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • stampbuyme
(04-05-2018, 01:54 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 06:24 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: EC has no age restriction and COSC says 16 yrs.  I am leaning toward COSC for no good reason other than it seems to have better feedback in posts I read.  She will be 16 in Oct., so I would be comfortable using their current requirements & holding my breath and proceeding in faith.  I had gotten so adept at navigating TESU's requirements and equivalents, but now my head is just spinning.  I have a spreadsheet that shows what she has so far when plugged into TESU's requirements.  Would that help?  Or if you can you point me to where I can find what is required at each school, I could rework my spreadsheet? 

Jennifer Cook DeRosa tells me that you are a gem.  What do you need from me to put together a degree path so we can keep plugging along?  I would be ever so grateful for whatever help you can give.  Smile

Honestly, I just don't know COSC as well as TESU, so you can't count on me for much help there.  I do have a degree plan that you can use though, if that will get you started. But for instance, I can't tell you that XXX course will count in the Concentration.  I just don't know the school well enough to guide you.  But, I think the spreadsheet will give you a good start.

The thing to remember about COSC (and EC) is that you can't apply and be considered an enrolled student like TESU.  You have to enroll, and then start paying per-term fees.  Since you don't want to do that until you're ready to go, you have to get all 114 credits before you enroll (or at least, get most of them, and then enroll in the cornerstone and get the help from them to map out your courses.  But, with your daughter's age, there is time if you make a mistake, to correct it and take another course or two, so it's not like you'd need to panic.

Also, with COSC it's possible to "double-dip" meaning a single course can meet multiple requirements.  So the Business Stats course that's required for the business degree will also meet the Knowledge Area Requirements in Math.  World Religions will count for both Non-US History and Global Understanding.  Either of the Econ courses will count as Social/Behavioral Sciences, and meets the business prereq.  You can only count each course for 3 credits, but they will meet 2+ areas.  You will also need a lab science course; Study.com now has Bio I with lab, and it's a virtual lab which sounds a lot better than the SL labs.

Anyway, hopefully this gets you off to a good start, and someone who knows COSC better than I do will chime in once you've put all your courses into their respective slots.

Thank you for this spread sheet.  Very helpful.  We definitely lost ground with this shift.  (9 credits lost w/ lit downgrades.)  And the lab science requirement...BOO!  Glad to know now though.  Yep, she will end up having taken unnecessary classes.  Oh well... 

I am attaching what I have plugged in so far.  If you can see any glaring errors, I would appreciate it.  I am concerned about the UL requirement.  Do I have that right? 

I am waiting to be contacted by a rep from COSC to nail down the Gen Business requirements better.  There just is not much on their website for this.  Thank you again.  Smile

Attached Files
.pdf   OLIVIA'S COSC Degree Path ~ BSBA.pdf (Size: 95.85 KB / Downloads: 23)
(04-05-2018, 12:17 PM)allvia Wrote: Excelsior College is free to apply with credit affiliation with Study.com, SL, Sofia, etc - there are others as well, when you apply you can search the list.  This is not very well publicized for some reason on this forum. They offer other discounts as well with the partnerships. Note they do require a minimum of 12 credits (approx 4 courses) through them for these discounts, but the other annual fees are waived; so depending on the situation it could be close to equal  - please refer to the website for more information.

It was common knowledge here for a long time that you can also become an associate member of POAG, which costs $20 a year. Just be sure you meet the requirements.* Wink

https://www.excelsior.edu/web/partners/p...of-georgia

*Eligibility for associate membership in the Peace Officers Association of Georgia is open to all persons of good moral character who embrace the stated mission of the Association and are active supporters of law enforcement.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(04-05-2018, 11:22 AM)stampbuyme Wrote:

Just peeked at their catalog, and it reads like the CLEP College Comp does not count for their writing requirement.  Also, we homeschooled, so I am wondering if they would be very impressed with our "diploma."  It's legal, but...  I found nothing on their site about age requirement.  Ok... back to hoop jumping.  Smile

We homeschooled under a private umbrella school. Since she fulfilled all requirenments for high school graduation through college level material, the school allowed her to graduate. I don’t know about CLEP. My daughter took English with Study.com. The advisor told my husband about The age requirement . Not in website.
[/quote]
stampbuyme Wrote:
Just tried to apply today for my 15 year old!!! Same issue. DENIED!!! She has accumulated 100 credit hours and now trying to see what the other two colleges have to say. I am sure there will be some credits lost in the process. Ugh!!!
[/quote]

Did you try to apply as a traditional student without the corporate affiliation listed? I wonder if the new minimum age applies to Military Degree Completion Program and Regular (not Corporate affiliate) applicants also?
Completed: 
TESU BA Social Sciences, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited)
WGU MBA in Healthcare Management (ACBSP Accredited)
In Progress: Creighton University PharmD

(04-05-2018, 12:17 PM)allvia Wrote: Excelsior College is free to apply with credit affiliation with Study.com, SL, Sofia, etc - there are others as well, when you apply you can search the list.  This is not very well publicized for some reason on this forum. They offer other discounts as well with the partnerships. Note they do require a minimum of 12 credits (approx 4 courses) through them for these discounts, but the other annual fees are waived; so depending on the situation it could be close to equal  - please refer to the website for more information.

The Special Partnership Pricing (via Study.com, SL or Sophia) at EC is worth exactly $50, if you do the multi-source option (meaning you're bringing in 117cr).  You get the application fee waived.  Otherwise, if you don't take at least 12cr at EC, then the fees all revert back to the normal price.  Hardly a discount worth having.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-04-2018, 06:49 PM)stampbuyme Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 06:32 PM)Clodyneseidel Wrote: My daughter turns 16 in December. Thomas Edison had it mapped out so nicely ☹️ Her plan was in Liberal Studies.

Let me know if you learn anything new.  I am looking at revamping some of our plan to include more UL.  I think we can still pull off a spring '19 grad.  My girl just wants to check school off the list so she can pursue whatever learning strikes her fancy.  She loves to learn, and she is driven to move past the "hafta" with freedom to pursue the "wanna."  Smile

If this is the case why be in a hurry? Maybe it's better for her to learn that in life you have to mix the "hafta" and "wanna" all the time. Maybe she could use the time waiting to get into TESU (or whatever) to pursue some of her wannas.
(04-06-2018, 06:27 AM)fork Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 06:49 PM)stampbuyme Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 06:32 PM)Clodyneseidel Wrote: My daughter turns 16 in December. Thomas Edison had it mapped out so nicely ☹️ Her plan was in Liberal Studies.

Let me know if you learn anything new.  I am looking at revamping some of our plan to include more UL.  I think we can still pull off a spring '19 grad.  My girl just wants to check school off the list so she can pursue whatever learning strikes her fancy.  She loves to learn, and she is driven to move past the "hafta" with freedom to pursue the "wanna."  Smile

If this is the case why be in a hurry? Maybe it's better for her to learn that in life you have to mix the "hafta" and "wanna" all the time. Maybe she could use the time waiting to get into TESU (or whatever) to pursue some of her wannas.

fork, I'm not answering for the op, but I will add that when you are DIYing your degree, it is important to lock in a catalog so the requirements don't change. As an example, if you're planning your courses and exams - but TESU changes their gen eds this summer, that's a big deal. Not a big deal when you have a few credits, but a VERY big deal when you have 90+ credits. So, there is a sense of urgency to get credits counted and applied as soon as possible. (that doesn't mean as soon as possible at a certain age, rather at a stage of credit-earning) In the case of this post, they've already been pushed back multiple times. It's fair to be nervous in this case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,999 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,670 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,126 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,663 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,742 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,359 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,604 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,336 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,392 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,868 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore