Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree
Hi Everyone!

I am thinking of taking the Aleks math course. I am petrified of math because am horrible at it. So how does one take the course and do I have to take a proctored test at the end of the course too? Thanks for all your help!
If you are horrible at math, I'm going to recommend that you do something else. The lowest-level math ALEKS has for credit is College Algebra, and you don't need anything that high of a level. Instead, I would recommend College Math, or Math for Liberal Arts. Both are MUCH easier than ALEKS.

Also, you can learn math for free with a variety of options, but one of the best is Khan Academy. It's free, video-based, and very well done. If you get through Algebra I (high school), then you can do the ModernStates.org College Math prep course, then go take the College Math CLEP test for free. The benefit for this - in addition to it being free start-to-finish, is that you're not limited on time. And more schools will accept it as the lowest-level math (so you don't have to go with a particular school specifically because they'll accept the math course/exam you've completed).

One other option: taking it butt-in-seat at your local CC. Most schools have resources, like a math lab, and free tutoring. Many people do better with this optin than online.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Since you're going for a BALS - Hands down the CSM Learn course would be the easiest math/stats course. Which school are you looking at applying to?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-07-2020, 05:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you are horrible at math, I'm going to recommend that you do something else.  The lowest-level math ALEKS has for credit is College Algebra, and you don't need anything that high of a level.  Instead, I would recommend College Math, or Math for Liberal Arts.  Both are MUCH easier than ALEKS.

Also, you can learn math for free with a variety of options, but one of the best is Khan Academy.  It's free, video-based, and very well done.  If you get through Algebra I (high school), then you can do the ModernStates.org College Math prep course, then go take the College Math CLEP test for free.  The benefit for this - in addition to it being free start-to-finish, is that you're not limited on time.  And more schools will accept it as the lowest-level math (so you don't have to go with a particular school specifically because they'll accept the math course/exam you've completed).

One other option: taking it butt-in-seat at your local CC.  Most schools have resources, like a math lab, and free tutoring.  Many people do better with this optin than online.

Thanks dfrecore! I will have to look into Khan academy. I am planning to do a BS in psychology.
@ragkrish I say do the CSM course then college algebra. You may be bad at math but if you want to do the BS in Psyc, you will have to do statistics as well, so you will need to get those math skills up.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(02-07-2020, 08:02 PM)ragkrish Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 05:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you are horrible at math, I'm going to recommend that you do something else.  The lowest-level math ALEKS has for credit is College Algebra, and you don't need anything that high of a level.  Instead, I would recommend College Math, or Math for Liberal Arts.  Both are MUCH easier than ALEKS.

Also, you can learn math for free with a variety of options, but one of the best is Khan Academy.  It's free, video-based, and very well done.  If you get through Algebra I (high school), then you can do the ModernStates.org College Math prep course, then go take the College Math CLEP test for free.  The benefit for this - in addition to it being free start-to-finish, is that you're not limited on time.  And more schools will accept it as the lowest-level math (so you don't have to go with a particular school specifically because they'll accept the math course/exam you've completed).

One other option: taking it butt-in-seat at your local CC.  Most schools have resources, like a math lab, and free tutoring.  Many people do better with this optin than online.

Thanks dfrecore! I will have to look into Khan academy. I am planning to do a BS in psychology.

Which school do you want to go to?  That makes a difference.  At TESU, you need both a low-level math for your GE requirements, and then a Statistics course for the major.  At COSC, you need Statistics in Psychology, but not another math course at all. TESU will take CSMLearn for your math requirement, COSC won't (although it can be used as an elective).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 478 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 765 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 353 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 950 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia