Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aleks intro to Statistics
I just started the assessment for Intro to Stats,, WOW - I foresee a long road ahead. :eek:
TESC BSBA
1A – Eng 101 & 102 SL – Business Communications SL – College Algebra ALEKS 73% - Intermediate Algebra ALEKS 74%
1B – Macro SL – Micro SL – Business Stats 80% ALEKS – Substance Abuse DSST 450 – Environment and Humanity DSST 55 – Intro to Psychology CLEP 56
1C – Intro to Religion DSST 445 – Ethics in America DSST 443 – Sociology CLEP 58
1D – Pre-Cal ALEKS 76% - Tech Writing DSST – I need to choose 4 more
2A – Business Law CLEP 57 – Intro to Comp DSST 443 – Principles of Financial Accounting SL – Managerial Accounting SL – Marketing CLEP – Principles of Finance DSST – Business Ethics and Society DSST – Strategic Management Capstone – Management CLEP 50
2B – Money and Banking DSST - Marketing need to choose one – MIS DSST 415 – Organizational Behavior DSST – Human Resource Management DSST
2C – Principles of Supervision DSST – Intro to Business CLEP – Business Law 2 DSST 49
2D – Personal Finance DSST 446 – HTYH DSST 435
jmichelle79 Wrote:I just started the assessment for Intro to Stats,, WOW - I foresee a long road ahead. :eek:
t
The free Khan videos for stats and prob work really well with the ALEKS stats course. In fact, after I'd gotten through the vids, I worked up to about 58% in ALEKS, I just went and took the DSST and passed Smile
I will check out the khan videos Smile thanks for the tip.
TESC BSBA
1A – Eng 101 & 102 SL – Business Communications SL – College Algebra ALEKS 73% - Intermediate Algebra ALEKS 74%
1B – Macro SL – Micro SL – Business Stats 80% ALEKS – Substance Abuse DSST 450 – Environment and Humanity DSST 55 – Intro to Psychology CLEP 56
1C – Intro to Religion DSST 445 – Ethics in America DSST 443 – Sociology CLEP 58
2A – Business Law CLEP 57 – Intro to Comp DSST 443 – Principles of Financial Accounting SL – Managerial Accounting SL – Marketing CLEP – Principles of Finance DSST – Business Ethics and Society DSST – Strategic Management Capstone – Management CLEP 50
2B – Money and Banking DSST - Marketing need to choose one – MIS DSST 415 – Organizational Behavior DSST – Human Resource Management DSST
2C – Principles of Supervision DSST – Intro to Business CLEP – Business Law 2 DSST 49
It was taking me forever to get through ALEKS Stats until I gave up 2 Cs then I started just printing out every explanation if I couldn't solve it right away. I had a lot of pages but I used the backs as scrap paper. I finally got through and got my 70%. It can be a very difficult course if your brain can't wrap around some of the wierd concepts. Khan videos did help too. Good Luck I know you can do it.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thanks again for the advice. Smile

I have decided to start pre-cal and revisit stats.

I want to give myself time to watch the Khan videos and try to absorb stats. Smile
TESC BSBA
FYI you can print to PDF or XPS files that are searchable. So you can save them to a folder with a name (i.e. name the file the same as the page title) and search among the files using Windows' search feature.

Personally I had a copy of Microsoft OneNote that I'd never used, and always wanted an excuse to use one of these, so now I have a OneNote notebook filled with hundreds of pages of screenshots and "printouts" from ALEKS plus all of my actual work. If you can swing it I highly recommend it, it made the work much easier.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I did the same thing as cookderosa did...After about 17 hours in ALEKS, I hit the 70% mark. I took an assessment, which knocked me down to 63%... I said screw it, took the DSST the next week and passed.

I did learn quite a lot using ALEKS, but the grading is extremely unforgiving. Miss one question, or one part of a question and all of a sudden ALEKS thinks you have no idea what you're talking about.
*DSST*
Substance Abuse 428
Principles of Statistics 441
Introduction to Computing 432
Technical Writing 62

*CLEP*
A & I Literature 67
Intro to Sociology 58
College Composition 55

*US Army/DAC*
AMMO-18/43/49/66

*FEMA*
9 courses + PDS

AA in Electronics Technology (Coastline Community College)
Working on BSAST Technical Studies (TESC)
I pressed on and ended up with 40 hrs in stats to get my passing 74%.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I'm at about 60% on Pre-calculus. Hopefully I will be able to complete this soon.

I save the notes in a folder so I can have access to them without printing. I use linux, so saving my files might be a little different than with windows; but I have not had a problem.

dcan, the Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet is pretty cool Smile Smile tempted to buy a new toy.

Thanks again for all your advice!
TESC BSBA
My best advice on aleks would be to keep going to at least 72% before requesting an assessment because you'll probably lose at least a couple of points and those assessments can take hours. As mentioned above, printing out everything that you don't understand helps. For word problems there are "usually" between 4 and 8 examples and if you print them all out (with the slightly different wording) you can get through even the most difficult word problems.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 952 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  Statistics RA credit available anywhere? echo64 7 756 12-11-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online Learning Statistics Alpha 0 496 07-14-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 971 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Intro to Sociology Jennr2z 8 1,045 05-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 0 544 11-29-2021, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Applied Business Statistics - alternative source? Vle045 6 1,026 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Udacity Intro to Cybersecurity nanodegree Cofffeee 7 1,358 07-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  SL Intro to Nutrition High_Order1 6 1,558 03-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,363 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Last Post: dfrecore