Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All Sophia Courses Free as of today - 3-19-20!
Code Academy pro is free for students
------------------

[-] The following 2 users Like akr680's post:
  • allvia, AwardTour
(03-20-2020, 08:12 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: Hi
Can i retake their courses or assessments? How many times? What's the policy with Sophia?
Thanks

Sophia doesn't have classes to attend or weekly assignments to submit, or a timeline to have each section completed, but you should try to complete the course in 60 days or less.  You can try to extend it by email, usually they will extend it for a month at most.  Basically - This is how it works:

1) Challenge (think of these as quizzes) - you have 3 attempts at getting the answers correct
2) Milestone (think of these as tests) - I recall you have only two attempts at these
3) Final Milestone (think of this as a final exam) - You need to score 50% or higher to pass the course
4) You need to make sure you get 70% or higher in the entire course to pass the course
5) If for some reason you did not pass the course, you will need to re-purchase the course

Note: For individuals using the Generic account for the final exam, they use Biometric Proctoring (no need for a webcam) and they follow the Honor Code.  Please review the student guide you get when you take one of their classes, all your answers are there.  If you're using a "specific school" account, I think they use the webcam feature (I haven't verified this yet).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I was just using "specific school" account and it was also biometric proctoring and honor code as recent as a week ago. no webcam needed. Switched account to generic to get one more course for free.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

I am looking at the TESU and COSC transfer guides on Sophia, hoping I can find some courses that are accepted at both schools since we are not sure which is my daughter's target college for sure yet. 

Can I assume that if she takes a course that fulfills a requirement for one school, that it would at least be accepted as a free elective at the other school?
walkingbyfaith Wrote:I am looking at the TESU and COSC transfer guides on Sophia, hoping I can find some courses that are accepted at both schools since we are not sure which is my daughter's target college for sure yet. 

Can I assume that if she takes a course that fulfills a requirement for one school, that it would at least be accepted as a free elective at the other school?

Yes, the courses will come into COSC/TESU as general education or free electives, especially if she decides to do a COSC BSGS or a TESU BALS. I would get her to register for as many courses that doesn't duplicate the ones she already has credit for, skip the 3 foundation courses as they won't transfer to either school (Excelsior actually takes them though!).

Each course allows up to 60 days for her to complete the course, if an extension is needed, she can email to get 30 days. I would change the start date of the classes that she registers for to a later date. Just start one or two classes at a time, and keep changing the dates for the remaining courses she registered for (at most it allows is 3 months at a time).

For example, because of the Coronavirus COVID-19 situation and Sophia offered all their courses free, I took a few that I haven't gotten credit for yet, such as the Art His/Project Man/Visual Comm, etc. I have about 8-9 courses added that doesn't duplicate any of my course credits.

Even though it's not used for my BACS degree plan, I love learning new things... so, I start 1 course and changed the rest to start 3 months later. After I am done with one course, I'll start changing the dates again to further down the road until I get all 8-9 done for credit banking in ACE.

(03-20-2020, 07:59 AM)Michelle779 Wrote: Does anyone know if COSC would accept Public Speaking for the Oral Communication requirement? I looked under the transfer equivalents and I don't see it listed. I just want to make sure before I sign up for it.

I heard the answer was "no" another forum. Study.com works though I believe.

(03-21-2020, 06:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
walkingbyfaith Wrote:I am looking at the TESU and COSC transfer guides on Sophia, hoping I can find some courses that are accepted at both schools since we are not sure which is my daughter's target college for sure yet. 

Yes, the courses will come into COSC/TESU as general education or free electives, especially if she decides to do a COSC BSGS or a TESU BALS.  I would get her to register for as many courses that doesn't duplicate the ones she already has credit for, skip the 3 foundation courses as they won't transfer to either school (Excelsior actually takes them though!).

Each course allows up to 60 days for her to complete the course, if an extension is needed, she can email to get 30 days.  I would change the start date of the classes that she registers for to a later date.  Just start one or two classes at a time, and keep changing the dates for the remaining courses she registered for (at most it allows is 3 months at a time).

For example, because of the Coronavirus COVID-19 situation and Sophia offered all their courses free, I took a few that I haven't gotten credit for yet, such as the Art His/Project Man/Visual Comm, etc.  I have about 8-9 courses added that doesn't duplicate any of my course credits.  

Even though it's not used for my BACS degree plan, I love learning new things... so, I start 1 course and changed the rest to start 3 months later.  After I am done with one course, I'll start changing the dates again to further down the road until I get all 8-9 done for credit banking in ACE.
@bjcheung77 by foundation courses do you mean the one credit courses? Is this true they don't transfer in as electives?
Because Sophia.org courses are ACE recommended for credit, I think COSC would accept Public Speaking for the Oral Communication requirement, it's just that their transfer equivalency page hasn't been updated for a while now.

In regards to the Foundation courses, I am not referring to the 1 credit Developing Effective Teams, Essentials of Managing Conflict, and Student Success.  I am referring to the 3 Foundations in English Composition, College Algebra, Statistics - these are NOT going to come into COSC/TESU as they are developmental/vocational level courses.  

If someone would like to take them, it will show up in the academic evaluation/transcript in the other field, with a notation DEV (designating it as Developmental). These would be great preview/refresher courses though and if the person is going to EC Excelsior, these come in as LL free electives, it would be perfect for the EC BALS.

Does anyone have any insight on how generous WGU is with Sophia.org? Unfortunately, our enrollment advisor couldn't say yes or no and there's no partner list like they have for SDC/SL.

Thanks!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
How many courses can I register for? Shall I register for all while it is free?
CarpeDiem8 Wrote:Does anyone have any insight on how generous WGU is with Sophia.org? Unfortunately, our enrollment advisor couldn't say yes or no and there's no partner list like they have for SDC/SL.

Thanks!

Hey, you might want to take a look at their page, WGU is in fact on their list.  I missed this one part in a previous thread, you just need to email Sophia.org to see which courses transfer as WGU doesn't have a transfer list on their site and Sophia.org didn't create one on their site either. 

Link: https://www.sophia.org/online-courses-fo...ing-credit
This is my reply to someone on another thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid304920

shamin Wrote:How many courses can I register for? Shall I register for all while it is free?

Hahaha, no, don't register for all of them, it would be a waste to take courses you have already or if those foundations courses are not for credit. See post #35 and #37 for what I have done in this case (basically take the ones that you don't already have credit in, that's all - don't take ones that duplicate or developmental)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 451 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 898 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 8 690 04-23-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 62,236 04-23-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 124 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 517 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,447 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 752 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,003 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 262 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM