Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alt Credit Accounting w/o HS Diploma / GED
I have been trying to get a few people I know into earning alternative credits to pursue their degrees. One is considering a few different degree options but does not have a HS diploma or GED, but she's very smart and in her 40's. Right now she really needs to learn accounting for professional reasons, and she went to sign-up for the OnlineDegree.com accounting course but the system would not let her because she doesn't have her HS diploma or GED. Does anyone know if any of the alternative credit sources offer accounting free/cheap and does not require a HS diploma or GED?
Thanks!
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Study.com has accounting courses, 200/month 2 exams included, 70 for up to 3 extra. But this may not be the best preparation for a related job.
Consider AACSB accredited programs, they might be more beneficial depending the career.
Also see https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ounting-II about the accounting courses

Also, you are talking about pursuing degrees, where would that be? Maybe OD would reconsider when the university will allowed to enroll?
I have a couple of thoughts. One is that it might be worth emailing OnlineDegree and asking for an exception. If their policy is intended mainly to keep high schools students out of the system, or to make sure that the person is able to pass their courses, then they might take her age and work history into consideration. If that doesn't work, I'd ask them if a certain number of college credits could qualify her to take OD courses.

Separately, the GED is worth credits at at least one of the Big3. If she's willing to consider it, she might kill more than one bird with that stone.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-26-2019, 11:40 AM)davewill Wrote: Separately, the GED is worth credits at at least one of the Big3. If she's willing to consider it, she might kill more than one bird with that stone.

Which of the big 3 does that? Sort of hoping you will say COSC because they have a bachelors with a public administration concentration that I think would be great for her.
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
How about tuition reimbursement?
(08-26-2019, 10:43 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: Study.com has accounting courses, 200/month 2 exams included, 70 for up to 3 extra.  But this may not be the best preparation for a related job.
Consider AACSB accredited programs, they might be more beneficial depending the career.
Also see https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ounting-II about the accounting courses

Also, you are talking about pursuing degrees, where would that be? Maybe OD would reconsider when the university will allowed to enroll?

The problem isn't so much finding an accounting credit source, but one that will accept her without her having a GED or HS diploma.
SDC accepts anyone?
All of the Big3 require a HS Diploma or a GED to be admitted.  In example you can apply to COSC and not have to send them a transcript of your HS or GED if you have 9 or more college credits already earned; but The requirements for admission as a degree candidate are that the applicant: .... has earned a high school diploma or its equivalency (https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ission.php)

The person without the HS/GED may want to look into earning college credits in the subjects that are included on the GED (they would all count as Gen Eds); this way they could earn credits to count towards a degree while preparing to take their local GED exam.

Study.com is open to HS students (so you do not need to be a GED/HS graduate) - I believe a number of the Home Schoolers here use it as HS coursework while earning college credits.

Finally for the accounting - if they do not need college credit, just the knowledge - check your local library (mine has an online accounting/book keeping course for library card holders). There are also a number of MOOCs out there available in the subject of accounting; but again these are not for college credit.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

It looks like you earn ACE credit, so it should work at COSC:

https://ged.com/educators_admins/program.../adoption/
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
"Right now she really needs to learn accounting for professional reasons..."

It's not clear to me what you mean here. Does she need a degree, or does she just need specialized knowledge? Would a QuickBooks certification be helpful for her? I'm sure it could be obtained without a HS diploma/GED.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,977 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Managerial Accounting Sophia faptaincrunch 2 363 02-03-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 948 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 501 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 823 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,788 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,519 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Study.com accounting 303 assignment 2 Pats20 0 486 06-14-2023, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Pats20