Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Capstone - Academic Community Impact
(08-01-2020, 10:08 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So it sounds like you have to take the SOS-204 course and THEN you can take the hands-on capstone?  So no cost savings there...

No cost savings, no. But putting your education to practical use sounds a lot more interesting than just writing a bunch of papers. However, reading the summary, I'm wondering if it actually costs more to take the alternate capstone. 

Quote:SOS-204 Academic Community Impact - Theory, Methods, and Practice

This course provides a foundation in the history, theory, values, and practice of civic and community engagement in contemporary American society in general and in American higher education in particular. It examines how civic and community engagement are defined in the context of the United States and are integral to higher education. Students will examine the values, skills, and knowledge needed to effectively and responsibly do civic and community engagement while they are students. During this course, students will complete a final project that aligns and integrates their personal, professional, and social priorities through academic work.

Advisory: This course is open to all students and satisfies the civic engagement and social science requirement in the general education program. This course is the first course in a two-course sequence and should be taken by any students who plan to enroll in LIB-495CE-OL, a Capstone option for students who wish to engage in a community-based service project for the Capstone course.

Do you get charged for both SOS-204 and LIB-495CE-OL? I would hope not, but you never know.
(08-01-2020, 10:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 10:08 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So it sounds like you have to take the SOS-204 course and THEN you can take the hands-on capstone?  So no cost savings there...

No cost savings, no. But putting your education to practical use sounds a lot more interesting than just writing a bunch of papers. However, reading the summary, I'm wondering if it actually costs more to take the alternate capstone. 

This course provides a foundation in the history, theory, values, and practice of civic and community engagement in contemporary American society in general and in American higher education in particular. It examines how civic and community engagement are defined in the context of the United States and are integral to higher education. Students will examine the values, skills, and knowledge needed to effectively and responsibly do civic and community engagement while they are students. During this course, students will complete a final project that aligns and integrates their personal, professional, and social priorities through academic work.

Advisory: This course is open to all students and satisfies the civic engagement and social science requirement in the general education program. This course is the first course in a two-course sequence and should be taken by any students who plan to enroll in LIB-495CE-OL, a Capstone option for students who wish to engage in a community-based service project for the Capstone course.

Do you get charged for both SOS-204 and LIB-495CE-OL? I would hope not, but you never know.

No for business degrees right? Only for liberal studies?
(08-01-2020, 04:53 PM)Edriveless Wrote:

Id love to know also!
(08-02-2020, 12:41 AM)Ilianasmile Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 04:53 PM)Edriveless Wrote:

Id love to know also!
Wonder if it can be useful for a History degree. There are lots of non profits including the local historical society and other ones for preservation of local history.
Apparently the actual capstone course won't be available until January so I'll have to pass on this one  Sad
Working on: TESU BA Psychology & Criminal Justice

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
 Behavior, Cultural Anthropology, Business Ethics,
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
TEEX: Death Investigation
Coopersmith: Abnormal Psychology
Study.com: The Juvenile Justice System
(08-03-2020, 02:57 PM)ab10365 Wrote: Apparently the actual capstone course won't be available until January so I'll have to pass on this one 
Are you referring to the actual LIB 495 one? And I was planning to graduate before December. They are delaying so much at updating the academic evaluation despite the fact that TESU has received my transcripts weeks ago. That makes it hard to enroll because it delays the removal of the block on LIB 495 that is only removed once 100 credits appear on the evaluation.
Is the new capstone LL? So that might make things more annoying in that you'd have to find an additional UL course.
(08-03-2020, 04:05 PM)natshar Wrote: Is the new capstone LL? So that might make things more annoying in that you'd have to find an additional UL course.

Does the capstone count as UL course for AOS? If that is the case then I do not need one other UL course as my academic advisor said.
Please read (or re-read), the capstone is LIB-495CE-OL which means it's upper level. It's just the same option as the regular capstone but providing you an opportunity to use it differently in a "Community Engagement" environment. I don't think that changes anything, just a different option of learning, it's still Upper Level and the requirements for the degree is the same.

I emailed the person just at first and asked if the SOS-204 would replace the SOS-110 as the new cornerstone for this specific degree option. We'll find out if it will replace it or not, hopefully it will and then the degree will be identical. If not, that means it'll require 9 credits for this "learning experience or easier capstone if you think of it that way".

Having said that, this maybe a good option for those seeking the 16 credits residency and wanting to "learn things a different way". It would be used as a gen ed, or satisfy the civic engagement or social science requirements. Hit that up with a couple more courses and you have the residency waiver fee requirement removed.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-03-2020, 03:55 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 02:57 PM)ab10365 Wrote: Apparently the actual capstone course won't be available until January so I'll have to pass on this one 
Are you referring to the actual LIB 495 one? And I was planning to graduate before December. They are delaying so much at updating the academic evaluation despite the fact that TESU has received my transcripts weeks ago. That makes it hard to enroll because it delays the removal of the block on LIB 495 that is only removed once 100 credits appear on the evaluation.
Yes. This is part of the message I received when I inquired about the program a few days ago:

“So happy to hear that you are interested in the ACI program.

The SOS 204 course will start in September 2020. This course will be an introductory course to take first before enrolling in the LIB 495 CE course which will launch in January 2021.”

If you’re trying to graduate soon, I think your best bet would be to tale the traditional capstone. Since one course is a prerequisite, and the other isn’t available until January, going this route would require you to push back your graduation date. This seems pretty interesting but I’m planning to take my capstone in November so I won’t be participating.
Working on: TESU BA Psychology & Criminal Justice

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
 Behavior, Cultural Anthropology, Business Ethics,
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
TEEX: Death Investigation
Coopersmith: Abnormal Psychology
Study.com: The Juvenile Justice System

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,308 2 hours ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 529 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 334 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 639 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,372 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,116 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  TESU launching MyProgress to replace Academic Evaluations jch 38 3,544 09-23-2023, 11:40 AM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 335 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  TESU Academic Evaluation & Maximum Transfer Credits bradonomics 19 2,058 09-07-2023, 06:21 PM
  TESU academic evaluation hasn't been returned since 1/23/23. Is that enough time? CanICode 10 1,301 08-04-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: CanICode