Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Capstone - Academic Community Impact
From https://www.tesu.edu/aci

Quote:-Are you interested in finishing your degree by taking a more hands-on capstone?
-Are you interested in finishing your degree by tackling real-world problems?
-Are you interested in networking with professionals? 
-Are you interested in making an impact on your community?

Consider taking a course with the Academic Community Impact (ACI) Program focused on connecting TESU students with local non-profits to deliver solution based projects and receive college credit while building your resume!

The Academic Community Impact (ACI)  Program has been working hard these past few months in preparing to launch this new educational experiences for TESU students. The ACI program has been preparing to focus on establishing offerings for our students with hands-on opportunities to engage with non-profit organizations and assist in solving real-world problems through their course work. Thanks to generous funding from a Provident Bank Foundation Signature Grant award, students will have the potential to engage in unique projects that organizations need help with. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Dr. Daniel Fidalgo Tomé at dtome@tesu.edu or explore our website www.tesu.edu/aci to see what kind of projects you might be interested in working with.

Over the past few months, the Academic Community Impact Program has been working to engage members in the community, working closely with the Center for Learning and Technology and the Heavin School to introduce our first course – SOS 204 Academic Community Impact - Theory, Methods, and Practice. This course will be a foundational, introductory course for students to take if they are interested engaging in community-based learning.

The Academic Community Impact Program is focused on offering students hands-on opportunities to engage with non-profit organizations and assist in solving real-world problems through their course work. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Dr. Daniel Fidalgo Tomé at dtome@tesu.edu or reference students to explore our website www.tesu.edu/aci
[-] The following 2 users Like scorpion's post:
  • harrypotter, TwinMom
I was about to post this as I got the email too! It's a little confusing as it doesn't tell you which "degrees" this hands-on capstone applies to, the website link shows several non-profit organizations and another link for 3 sites for extra volunteer opportunities. I wonder if it would work if someone is currently employed at a non-profit organization that deals with charity work such as a food bank or something along those lines. Interesting concept, I guess we'll have to ask to find out more details on this new program... Let me email the person and ask...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • harrypotter, TwinMom
Just judging by the project descriptions for the various charities listed, it looks like it mainly applies to people going for some sort of teaching, art, or communications/English degree. Isles, Inc. has a project description that looks more suited to analytical (math, computer) degree programs. I have not looked at/read everything in-depth, though.
Wow! This looks exciting! Might be worth holding off on enrolling in the 'normal' capstone until more details about this one emerge.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • rachel83az
Wish I could have done that! Although, I was pretty happy with my capstone paper and believe it will be helpful information for non-profits.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Wow this looks interesting! My first course at TESU begins next week so I hope more information comes out about this by the time I'm eligible to take the capstone course.
Working on: TESU BA Psychology & Criminal Justice

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
 Behavior, Cultural Anthropology, Business Ethics,
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
TEEX: Death Investigation
Coopersmith: Abnormal Psychology
Study.com: The Juvenile Justice System
This sounds way more interesting than a regular capstone. It's nice that an alternative is being made available. Hopefully more colleges and universities will take this approach in the near future.
I wonder if this work as an alternative to BUS Capstone?
I hope I get to do ACI!
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
So it sounds like you have to take the SOS-204 course and THEN you can take the hands-on capstone? So no cost savings there...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 244 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 362 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,326 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,042 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  TESU launching MyProgress to replace Academic Evaluations jch 38 3,477 09-23-2023, 11:40 AM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 322 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  TESU Academic Evaluation & Maximum Transfer Credits bradonomics 19 1,948 09-07-2023, 06:21 PM
  TESU academic evaluation hasn't been returned since 1/23/23. Is that enough time? CanICode 10 1,254 08-04-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: CanICode