Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Capstone - Academic Community Impact
(08-03-2020, 06:09 PM)ab10365 Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 03:55 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 02:57 PM)ab10365 Wrote: Apparently the actual capstone course won't be available until January so I'll have to pass on this one 
Are you referring to the actual LIB 495 one? And I was planning to graduate before December. They are delaying so much at updating the academic evaluation despite the fact that TESU has received my transcripts weeks ago. That makes it hard to enroll because it delays the removal of the block on LIB 495 that is only removed once 100 credits appear on the evaluation.
Yes. This is part of the message I received when I inquired about the program a few days ago:

“So happy to hear that you are interested in the ACI program.

The SOS 204 course will start in September 2020. This course will be an introductory course to take first before enrolling in the LIB 495 CE course which will launch in January 2021.”

If you’re trying to graduate soon, I think your best bet would be to tale the traditional capstone. Since one course is a prerequisite, and the other isn’t available until January, going this route would require you to push back your graduation date. This seems pretty interesting but I’m planning to take my capstone in November so I won’t be participating.
Thanks, same here, I will go the traditional route, as LIB 495 is the only course I will take with TESU and plan to finish before December as well.
Just an FYI, this alternative option would only be useful for someone who intends to take 16 credits at TESU.  The SOS 204 Academic Community Impact - Theory, Methods, and Practice course is required, along with the Cornerstone and Capstone.  This might work for someone who is going for say a second degree in Business Administration or something like a BS in Tech Studies as these secondary degrees require a different capstone.  You can then select a final course or two to complete the 16 residency requirements.

Hmm, I wonder, this might even work for someone who wants to get an Associates that requires an Associates Capstone, as an example, someone looking to get an Associates in Environmental Safety and Security Technologies require the Cornerstone and an Associates Capstone.  They can then take the SOS 204 and the Jane Austin course for 1 credit.  That just leaves you with the two Bachelors Capstones to wrap up the 16 credits needed for residency, so you won't need to pay the waiver fee and finish with an extra Associates.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I just received an email today: "For a limited time, students who enroll in SOS-204 may also qualify for a LIB-495: Community Engagement course tuition waiver".
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
rachel83az Wrote:I just received an email today: "For a limited time, students who enroll in SOS-204 may also qualify for a LIB-495: Community Engagement course tuition waiver".

Interesting!! I checked my email and didn't seem to get this message! Would you mind copy/pasting everything in the message? Is there a contact person or email so I can get more details? I would like to enrol in the course if the LIB-495 gets a tuition waiver. How much of a waiver are we talking about, the whole cost or a partial cost?

"Dear BJ,

Are you interested in networking with professionals, tackling real-world problems, making an impact in your community and completing your BA degree requirements with a hands-on Capstone course?

Then consider enrolling in the two-course sequence: SOS-204: Academic Community Impact – Theory, Methods, and Practice; and the LIB-495: Liberal Arts Capstone – Community Engagement course, and begin fulfilling those goals. The SOS-204 course satisfies a civic engagement, human cultures or general education elective requirement in your academic program and will set you up to enroll in the LIB-495 Community Engagement course in which you will execute your BA degree Capstone project remotely with a community partner.

For a limited time, students who enroll in SOS-204 may also qualify for a LIB-495: Community Engagement course tuition waiver.

Developed in conjunction with TESU's recently launched Academic Community Impact Program (ACI), the course sequence focuses on connecting you with community-based nonprofits through solution based hands-on projects. By completing the sequence, you will help fulfill a strategic and critical need for a local organization while you build your resume and expand your professional network. Regardless of how you apply your course work, the SOS-204 and LIB-495 course sequence will provide a valuable bridge to community-based learning and collaboration while you fulfill your degree requirements.

Learn more about the ACI Program and email Dr. Daniel Fidalgo Tomé, Community Engagement Program Manager, to get started. If you need guidance in planning your courses for the upcoming term, an advisor can help. Make an advising appointment, email academicadvising@tesu.edu or call 609-777-5680"
I wonder how hard it is to get the "tuition waiver".  With the NEW Capstone option and if there is a tuition waiver, there will be no price difference, you just have to take the SOS-204 Academic Community Impact before you take the NEW Capstone.  It's an alternative option for the capstone, it's more hands-on and helps the community, also helps you with networking as well.  

The kicker is it gives you 6 credits towards residency vs the old capstone, gives you 3 credits only. The value is the ROI, it won't cost you anything or much at all for the alternative credits needed, you may take an extra term to finish the required courses, but that would mean you get the extra Bachelors and/or another Associates FREE.  Please see below for the cost break down, I've written about this before...

If you are just taking the two required courses at TESU (Cornerstone/Capstone), you just get an Associates en route to the Bachelors.
Cost: App fee $50
Cornerstone: $1557
Capstone: $1557
Residency Waiver: $3192
Grad fee: $298
Total: $6654 USD - You no longer have the Study.com discount on capstone/cornerstone

If you are looking to get 16 undergraduate credits, these can be anything + cornerstone/capstone
Cost App Fee: $50
13 Credits exactly in a 3 month term: $4639
3 credits for Capstone 3 month: $1557
Grad Fee: $298
Total: $6544 - you save $100+ USD

Now, with the NEW Liberal Arts Capstone option, it'll look like similar to the 16 credits where you can take any course + cornerstone and capstone.  Since you can take anything you want, I would rather choose a course or two that I need to finish my degrees, and if it allows me to complete a second capstone, why not? Further to that, it would be easier than taking 13 credits in 1 term, and then the Bachelors Capstone to round out the 16 credits.

If you are looking to get 16 undergraduate credits, these can be anything + cornerstone/capstone
Cost App Fee: $50
Take lesser courses here for 10-12 Credits in a 3 month term: $4639
3 credits for Liberal Arts Capstone - FREE if there is a tuition waiver
3 credits for Business Capstone 3 month: $1557
Grad Fee: $298
Total: $6544 - you save $100+ USD

--- To get more info on the course and capstone waiver, I sent them this message ---

Subject: How do I sign up for SOS-204 and the LIB-495 tuition waiver?

Hi Academic Advising and Academic Community Impact Teams,

A fellow TESU student received this email and for some reason I missed it.  I am very interested!

Anyways, How do I sign up for the SOS-204 and how do I get a LIB-495 tuition waiver?

I was just wondering, for the LIB-495 tuition waiver, how much is the waiver and when is this going to expire?

--- The reply I received ---

Happy to hear that you are interested in the Academic Community Impact program.

Students interested in participating should enroll in SOS 204 Academic Community Impact – Theory, Methods, and Practice. This course will support students with tools necessary to prepare a project proposal and orient folks to the concepts of community based learning.

Below- I’ve provided the link to the course here:
https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=SOS-204&sem

After students successfully complete this course, I will manually register students to the LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone ( Community Engagement Section) – where you will work with your community partner and execute your project proposal.

Students who successfully complete SOS 204, qualify to apply for a tuition waiver scholarship for a limited number of students enrolling in LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone ( Community Engagement Section). Questions about applying for the waiver scholarship – should be directed to me.

I also think it’s a good idea to discuss this with an academic advisor. I’ve CCed Donald Stoltz from Academic Advising who has been supporting students interested in the ACI program – on how this best fits your academic pathway.

I’m more than happy to address other questions you may have as well. I hope you find this helpful.

Looking forward to keeping in touch with you.

Cheers,
Dr. Tomé

Daniel Fidalgo Tomé, Ed.D. | Community Engagement Program Manager
Thomas Edison State University
301 West State Street, Trenton, New Jersey 08618
p. (609) 984-1120, ext. 2315
e. dtome@tesu.edu
w. https://www.tesu.edu/aci

I love the idea of this. To make an impact on the community. I hope it goes well and expands outside the liberal arts to the Business Administration degrees :O
I remember seeing WGU's business capstone is focused on going to an actual business and proposing a solution to a real-world problem.  Or maybe that was the MBA.

Anyway, this is something you can do on your own also.  There are plenty of small businesses and charity organizations that would let you come in and propose solutions or update their website/social media.

You could put these experiences on your resume, which would great if you provided some sort of quantifiable benefit.  An example might be if you made a business proposal for a small motel and afterward, their bookings went up 10%, or they cut costs by 5%.  Or work on a website or social media, and their traffic or social engagements went up.

Just some ideas for you guys.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-28-2020, 10:18 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I remember seeing WGU's business capstone is focused on going to an actual business and proposing a solution to a real-world problem.  Or maybe that was the MBA.

Anyway, this is something you can do on your own also.  There are plenty of small businesses and charity organizations that would let you come in and propose solutions or update their website/social media.

You could put these experiences on your resume, which would great if you provided some sort of quantifiable benefit.  An example might be if you made a business proposal for a small motel and afterward, their bookings went up 10%, or they cut costs by 5%.  Or work on a website or social media, and their traffic or social engagements went up.

Just some ideas for you guys.

I receive an email from TESU regarding the SOS 204, my question is if I take this course do I need to take also the cornerstone course??  In what benefits me this if I'm an international student?

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
gams007 Wrote:I receive an email from TESU regarding the SOS 204, my question is if I take this course do I need to take also the cornerstone course?? In what benefits me this if I'm an international student?

Yes, you need to take the Cornerstone, it doesn't replace the cornerstone course at all. It doesn't benefit anyone who is international or not, the course is to provide you an alternative capstone option that "may" be easier and it's geared for individuals who are working already or part of a non-profit organization... It'll be a more hands on approach versus a research approach in the traditional capstone format...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,990 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 249 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 362 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,326 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,043 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  TESU launching MyProgress to replace Academic Evaluations jch 38 3,477 09-23-2023, 11:40 AM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 322 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  TESU Academic Evaluation & Maximum Transfer Credits bradonomics 19 1,948 09-07-2023, 06:21 PM
  TESU academic evaluation hasn't been returned since 1/23/23. Is that enough time? CanICode 10 1,255 08-04-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: CanICode