Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Paths to Education and Careers
Information 
Most of us are already here on an alternative path to an education, however I wanted to share some info on some programs that I came across in recent years because I think many could benefit from such info. I wish I had known some of this when I was 19-20 on my own and had just dropped out of a traditional B&M university for the first time and lost my scholarship. With this knowledge, maybe I wouldn't have turned to the military at that time. I'm proud of my service, but there were other programs that I was wholly unaware of that could have steered me in a positive direction without giving up 6 years and risking my life and health. Many on this forum(and some forum member's children) could be a great fit for these programs but also, the many more lurkers, anonymous browsers and such who find themselves here and will continue to in the foreseeable future, may find value in some of these programs as well. Many of these programs have structure and discipline without being the "military" and without the legal binding contract.

Peace Corps
https://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/benefits/
  • Provides training, transportation, living accommodations, food and a small living stipend
  • Usually a 2 year commitment
  • Low skilled positions and positions for college grads(and people with graduate degrees)
  • International travel to where ever you are needed
  • Various educational benefits(loan deferment, fellowships)
  • Transitional assistance to a new career after your service and $8000 
Americorps
https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs...s-programs
  • Similar to Peace Corps, but you mostly stay in the states
  • Some local projects some travel projects to places where you're needed
  • Positions for 17/18 and up with no experience necessary
  • Team program for 18-24 year-olds
  • 3-12 month commitment
  • Can be short-term, part time, or full time
  • Provides training, transportation, uniforms, living accommodations and food(and potentially a living allowance)
  • Some ACE credit opportunities: http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...ICE=300187
  • Up to $6000 education award after service
Job Corps
https://www.jobcorps.gov/
  • Focused on helping low income youth(16-24)
  • Can get HS diploma while part of the program
  • Varies by location but usually includes housing, food, child care, clothing, work/school supplies and living stipend
  • Usually involves free apprenticeships, OJT, courses, other vocational training 
Yearup
https://www.yearup.org/ Local Programs
  • May be funded by government, employers, non profits or unions
  • They're all over, you just have to look!

Military, Reserves, National Guard, Coast Guard
  • These options aren't for everyone, but they are good for some people
  • A very real commitment with consequences if you separate under dishonorable circumstances
  • Potential benefits are far too many to list here
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Muldoon
I'm going to give the caveat that the Peace Corps and Job Corps have had major rape allegations running rampant throughout the programs. I would never advise a woman to join either of those. Ever. They prey on the young and vulnerable.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, Sapientes
Job Corps varies by location, and some are non-residential. Some locations have a major gang problem. Rape, unfortunately, happens on just about every post-secondary campus whether it be Job Corps or a regular college campus. The biggest problem with Job Corps is that the average graduate doesn't do much better than if he or she never attended Job Corps in the first place. A lot of locations offer worthless vocational programs such as CNA and medical assisting. Maybe "worthless" is harsh, but most CNAs where I live make minimum wage to $12 per hour.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The reason why Job Corps is so awful is because the Department of Labor doesn't run any of the centers. They're all contracted out to private entities, and most of them are for-profit. The highest performing major operator of centers is a non-profit organization, so it's a mismanagement of taxpayer dollars to keep awarding these contracts to for-profit companies just because they bid low.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 151 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 622 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 1,908 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  US Education Department unveils stricter college oversight rules bjcheung77 0 340 11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 342 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
  Continuing Education stipend ideas impasta 5 462 09-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: impasta
  Are alternative credits only an American thing? mojave 24 2,191 09-08-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Panorama Education Acquires Mesa Cloud... bjcheung77 0 410 07-01-2023, 01:45 AM
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 811 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Is an Ivy Education Worth It? Imbanewbie 2 547 05-02-2023, 02:37 PM