Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternatives to Proctor U for Straighterline?
I apologize if this has been asked before. I am interested in taking some courses through Straighterline. On their website, the only option listed for taking final exams seems to be Proctor U. For several reasons, I'd rather not use Proctor U. I also happen to live close to a community college that offers proctoring services. Anybody knows if Straighterline allows off-site proctoring?
MLTtoMLS Wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before. I am interested in taking some courses through Straighterline. On their website, the only option listed for taking final exams seems to be Proctor U. For several reasons, I'd rather not use Proctor U. I also happen to live close to a community college that offers proctoring services. Anybody knows if Straighterline allows off-site proctoring?

I haven't seen anything about any other proctoring options on their site. Would you mind sharing your problems with ProctorU?
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
Saylor offers alternatives (at a testing center or library), but you have to make the arrangements.

https://sayloracademy.zendesk.com/hc/en-.../212896217

Also, these are the courses that Straighterline offers that do not require final exams (ergo, do not require proctoring):
Q: What if my course doesn't have a final exam?
A: Several composition courses, such as English Composition I and Lab Sciences, do not have final exams, so there's no need for proctoring. To ensure academic integrity, written work for such courses is subject to review via plagiarism detection software and other protocols. Proctoring is not applicable in the following courses:

Developmental Writing (ENG099)
English Composition I (ENG101)
English Composition II (ENG102)
Anatomy and Physiology I Lab (BIO201L)
Anatomy and Physiology II Lab (BIO202L)
General Chemistry I Lab (CHEM101L)
General Physics I Lab (PHY250L)
Introduction to Biology Lab (BIO101L)
Microbiology Lab (BIO250L)
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
rowan555 Wrote:I haven't seen anything about any other proctoring options on their site. Would you mind sharing your problems with ProctorU?

I don't think Proctor U would work well in my situation. My concerns:
1) I don't like the idea of some stranger having potential access to my personal files on my laptop. So, I would need to purchase a second laptop to use just for Proctor U exams.
2) A clear, quiet, well-lit room is required for the exam. The room has to be scanned with the webcam prior to the exam. None of the rooms at my place are completely clear of furniture and sometimes clutter. No, I am not a hoarder, the place is just small Wink This would require some serious rearrangement...Not sure it's worth the effort.
3) Being interrupted can invalidate the exam. That is a possibility.
I live close to a testing center. It seems way more practical to just drive there, show my ID, and take the test. No distractions or fear that the test might be invalidated because of circumstances that are beyond my control (disconnection, interruptions).
This is a little bit out of the box, but perhaps you could check with your testing center to see if you could access a ProctorU-monitored exam on one of the computers at the testing center? That would resolve the laptop and interruption scenarios.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Furniture isn't an issue, nor is clutter, really. As far as a second laptop, you can buy a really old one at the thrift store. As long as it can run Windows, has a webcam, and runs a browser, you're good. Another thought might be to take it at work on the weekend, or at a friend's house. You could also set up on a card table in your bedroom with a "Keep out or die!" sign on the door.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
MLTtoMLS Wrote:1) I don't like the idea of some stranger having potential access to my personal files on my laptop. So, I would need to purchase a second laptop to use just for Proctor U exams.
If it makes a difference to you, ProctorU uses LogMeIn's software, and you can see exactly what they're doing--your session terminates once you close the chat. If not and you have no other options beside ProctorU, maybe you can install Linux on a separate partition on your current laptop or use a virtual machine.
Thank you everybody for the helpful suggestions! I might be able to work around the issues using some creativity Smile
MLTtoMLS Wrote:Thank you everybody for the helpful suggestions! I might be able to work around the issues using some creativity Smile

Our living room is a MESS - I work from home selling on Amazon and Ebay, and we literally have crap EVERYWHERE for the past 5 or so months - my son had no issues with using his computer amidst the chaos - it's really not a big a deal as you might think. And I've read a lot about what access they are given and feel totally comfortable with it. It's so much easier than having to make arrangements to take a test at a local site.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
I just took 3 finals in the midst of moving, from two different houses and multiple locations in the houses. One final was the night before the moving truck came bright and early and I was sitting on a mattress on the floor in a bedroom filled with boxes and bed frames and other stuff. There was no problem. Another one I was sitting at the dining room table at the new house like 2 days after we moved and I didn't even clean off the table. I was being super lazy but honestly was tired from packing and moving 6 hours away and unpacking and just went for it. Again, no problem. As long as you don't have like papers or notebooks or chalkboards around, they are pretty lenient. I will say mine were through Study.com and not SL, but I'd imagine they are similar. Also, I make sure that I do not turn my head away from the screen at all. I keep my eyes glued to that screen so there is no chance of them saying I was looking at something else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 175 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,459 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 333 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 323 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 711 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 437 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 635 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,169 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,090 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138