Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alternatives to Saylor for UL credit (TESU BSBA CIS)
Well, I've taken 2 Saylor courses. I failed networking on the first attempt and barely passed on the second. Failed Strategic Information Systems, but emailed them about some errors/mistakes in the exam hoping to get my grade adjusted. I still haven't heard back after 2+ weeks. At this point, I feel like it's a lost cause. 

Since then, I've spent 3 weeks studying 3 hours a day the Software Engineering material determined to pass that one, but after taking the practice test I've realized it's hopeless. I already knew the information in the last 2 and still failed. I don't have a ton of background knowledge in SE and the questions are so arcane and unclear. 

So what are my options? I need 3 UL and 3 LL. Will the Teex cybersecutiry ones get me anywhere? Any Study.com options? I'm good with networking, security, server administration, etc.

Thanks!

To anybody else considering the Saylor credits for CS. Learn from my mistake. If you already know the material, take the practice test and see if you want to go for it, but don't waste your time trying to sludge through the endless, outdated material they link to.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
Just take the Study.com courses. They also have their issues, but as long as you're paying attention you shouldn't have any issue passing. Particularly given that it sounds like you already have a lot of the requisite experience and knowledge. In such a case, the courses should go pretty quickly. You can also take more CS focused courses to fill in the gaps, and your experience should give you a leg up there as well.

Not to mention, the Saylor CS/CIS courses are all lower level credit now. So if you want UL credit you need to hit up Study.com anyway, or look into other options like TECEPs or CSU-Global CBE's. You can take the Networking TECEP for UL credit, for example.

The TEEX courses are all lower level now as well. Two of the three (CAP-295 and CIS-244) can be used in the BSBA CIS. The last (CYB-120) works as an elective credit (but not GE electives).
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-04-2018, 08:15 PM)Merlin Wrote: Just take the Study.com courses. They also have their issues, but as long as you're paying attention you shouldn't have any issue passing. Particularly given that it sounds like you already have a lot of the information. In such a case, the courses should go pretty quickly.

Not to mention, the Saylor CS/CIS courses are all lower level credit now. So if you want UL credit you need to hit up Study.com anyway, or look into other options like TECEPs or CSU-Global CBE's.

The TEEX courses are all lower level now as well. Two of the three (CAP-295 and CIS-244) can be used in the BSBA CIS. The last (CYB-120) works as an elective credit (but not GE electives).

Which Study.com ones have people been getting credit for? I've already done Computer Science 302: Systems Analysis & Design and Computer Science 303: Database Management.
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
Hi, just wondering, what did your TEEX get evaluated as? If it was evaluated as UL then you can do the exact same courses as I am!
See this thread: I chose to remove Saylor and add Study.com courses instead, it lists the options I am taking for all 6. If your TEEX came in as LL, then you will need one more UL course. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid273919
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
(12-04-2018, 08:20 PM)camjenks Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 08:15 PM)Merlin Wrote: Just take the Study.com courses. They also have their issues, but as long as you're paying attention you shouldn't have any issue passing. Particularly given that it sounds like you already have a lot of the information. In such a case, the courses should go pretty quickly.

Not to mention, the Saylor CS/CIS courses are all lower level credit now. So if you want UL credit you need to hit up Study.com anyway, or look into other options like TECEPs or CSU-Global CBE's.

Which Study.com ones have people been getting credit for? I've already done Computer Science 302: Systems Analysis & Design and Computer Science 303: Database Management.

I took those two, as well as Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising (UL) and CS 111: Programming in C (LL). If you haven't taken Business 303: Management Information Systems, that is another good UL option.

But pretty much any of the CS courses will work.

(12-04-2018, 08:24 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Hi, just wondering, what did your TEEX get evaluated as? If it was evaluated as UL then you can do the exact same courses as I am!
See this thread: I chose to remove Saylor and add Study.com courses instead, it lists the options I am taking for all 6.  If your TEEX came in as LL, then you will need one more UL course.  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid273919

Assumed the OP hasn't taken the TEEX courses yet, so they would be LL evaluated.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-04-2018, 08:24 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I took those two, as well as Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising (UL) and CS 111: Programming in C (LL). If you haven't taken Business 303: Management Information Systems, that is another good UL option.

Thanks! I'll look into Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising (UL) and maybe the Teex credits.
(12-04-2018, 08:29 PM)camjenks Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 08:24 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Thanks! I'll look into Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising (UL) and maybe the Teex credits.

You should be able to use the UL DSST Fundamentals of Cybersecurity (CIS-344 Computer Security). Also check out LL DSST Management Information Systems (CIS-201 Management Information Systems).
I mainly relied on CSU Global and TEEX, but as mentioned, the TEEX courses are now all LL.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Study.com added a bunch of CS courses recently, although most are LL. Here are all of their UL CIS courses:

BUS 303: Management Info Systems (CIS-301)
COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design (CIS-320)
COMPSCI 303: Database Management (CIS-311)
COMPSCI 306: Computer Architecture (CIS-330)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-04-2018, 08:15 PM)Merlin Wrote: Just take the Study.com courses. They also have their issues, but as long as you're paying attention you shouldn't have any issue passing. Particularly given that it sounds like you already have a lot of the requisite experience and knowledge. In such a case, the courses should go pretty quickly. You can also take more CS focused courses to fill in the gaps, and your experience should give you a leg up there as well.

Not to mention, the Saylor CS/CIS courses are all lower level credit now. So if you want UL credit you need to hit up Study.com anyway, or look into other options like TECEPs or CSU-Global CBE's. You can take the Networking TECEP for UL credit, for example.
HI Merlin! 
CSU-Global -- which courses are UL? Is there a list of how CSU-Global transfers into TESU? I'm on the hunt for test-out options to fulfill Tech Studies AOS. Computer courses seem to fit the bill. Saylor was listed as backup, back when I made the degree plan in 2018 and I guess Saylor is now LL. Bummer!
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 299 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 947 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 497 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 671 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 821 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,784 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,517 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 529 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore