Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I figuring Excelsior costs correctly? LPN to RN (associates)
Hi guys! I hope ya'll can help me - I have turned to this board off and on for nearly a decade for all of my alternative credit information so I know how much knowledge abounds here. Wink 'm an obsessive planner and trying to work out what my costs would be if I went through the Excelsior LPN to RN program. I am currently in my LPN program and it requires I live away from my hubby and kiddos for most of the accelerated program - since we live in the boonies and hours from the nearest nursing programs. I would prefer not to live away from them while finishing my RN (and need to work during, too), which is why I'm hoping I can make Excelsior work for me. 

I love CLEPing and hope that between CLEP tests, some prereqs I'm taking through Portage Learning, and filling out with Straighterline, I will only have to take the nursing classes via Excelsior. I have a prior master's degree, and have read that it might get me out of the info literacy requirement, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Figuring on all this, I've come up with the following costs (I plan on the self-study/testing option for all classes I am able to do that for):

Application Fee $50
Enrollment Fee $1095
Nurse Courses/exams (8 courses, if I'm reading it right) $2840
FCCA courses/exams (2 of these?) $760
CPNE (assuming I can pass first try) $2295
Graduation Fee $495
Annual Fee (assuming 2 years) $990
Practice tests for nursing/FCCA courses ($75x10) $750

Total Cost $9275

I know this doesn't include books or other study materials I may need to pass the testing requirements. But am I missing any other costs that you guys see? Am I misreading any requirements on their site (entirely possible!)?

Here is where I'm pulling most of my info from: https://www.excelsior.edu/costs-and-financing/nurses

Thank you all SO much in advance for any help you can provide. I would LOVE to actually be able to be with my family and finish my education, and I think that Excelsior would give me the best option for that. I just need to make sure I can afford it!

Thank you all again! <3
(12-03-2018, 01:27 PM)tifferbugz Wrote: Hi guys! I hope ya'll can help me - I have turned to this board off and on for nearly a decade for all of my alternative credit information so I know how much knowledge abounds here. Wink 'm an obsessive planner and trying to work out what my costs would be if I went through the Excelsior LPN to RN program. I am currently in my LPN program and it requires I live away from my hubby and kiddos for most of the accelerated program - since we live in the boonies and hours from the nearest nursing programs. I would prefer not to live away from them while finishing my RN (and need to work during, too), which is why I'm hoping I can make Excelsior work for me. 

I love CLEPing and hope that between CLEP tests, some prereqs I'm taking through Portage Learning, and filling out with Straighterline, I will only have to take the nursing classes via Excelsior. I have a prior master's degree, and have read that it might get me out of the info literacy requirement, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Figuring on all this, I've come up with the following costs (I plan on the self-study/testing option for all classes I am able to do that for):

Application Fee $50
Enrollment Fee $1095
Nurse Courses/exams (8 courses, if I'm reading it right) $2840
FCCA courses/exams (2 of these?) $760
CPNE (assuming I can pass first try) $2295
Graduation Fee $495
Annual Fee (assuming 2 years) $990
Practice tests for nursing/FCCA courses ($75x10) $750

Total Cost $9275

I know this doesn't include books or other study materials I may need to pass the testing requirements. But am I missing any other costs that you guys see? Am I misreading any requirements on their site (entirely possible!)?

Here is where I'm pulling most of my info from: https://www.excelsior.edu/costs-and-financing/nurses

Thank you all SO much in advance for any help you can provide. I would LOVE to actually be able to be with my family and finish my education, and I think that Excelsior would give me the best option for that. I just need to make sure I can afford it!

Thank you all again! <3

Yes, that is a good estimate.   Most people take a non-afflilated CPNE workshop, but it's not required.   If you are going to do the program there are about 10 Facebook pages that are for that program and/or the CPNE.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

(12-03-2018, 03:56 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: Yes, that is a good estimate.   Most people take a non-afflilated CPNE workshop, but it's not required.   If you are going to do the program there are about 10 Facebook pages that are for that program and/or the CPNE.

Thank you SO much! I will definitely keep the CPNE workshop in mind. With waiting periods running around 12 months to take the CPNE after you finish all of your other classes and apply, I'd like to be as prepared as I possibly can be. I'll have a year to study, after all.  Undecided

And thank you for mentioning Facebook groups. I'll look around for those when I get a little closer. I appreciate your help!
[-] The following 1 user Likes tifferbugz's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
I'm a paramedic currently doing this program. Just remember only 25% (I think or 30?) Can be from non traditional programs, ie SDC/SL. If you're done A&P and Micro, you'll be good to go. Those costs should be fairly accurate based on my experience thus far.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
(12-03-2018, 06:01 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I'm a paramedic currently doing this program. Just remember only 25% (I think or 30?) Can be from non traditional programs, ie SDC/SL. If you're done A&P and Micro, you'll be good to go. Those costs should be fairly accurate based on my experience thus far.

Thank you so much! I will have A&P I and II from a regionally accredited program, as well as micro. Do you know if the 25/30% requirement includes CLEP?

Thanks for confirming the accuracy of how I’m understand costs - I really appreciate that! How are you liking the program?
(12-03-2018, 09:35 PM)tifferbugz Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 06:01 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I'm a paramedic currently doing this program. Just remember only 25% (I think or 30?) Can be from non traditional programs, ie SDC/SL. If you're done A&P and Micro, you'll be good to go. Those costs should be fairly accurate based on my experience thus far.

Thank you so much! I will have A&P I and II from a regionally accredited program, as well as micro. Do you know if the 25/30% requirement includes CLEP?

Thanks for confirming the accuracy of how I’m understand costs - I really appreciate that! How are you liking the program?

From my knowledge for the ADN program, only 7 Ace credits can be accepted for non-science courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HappyNurse35's post:
  • tifferbugz

That does not include CLEP. I used 2 of them to fill a humanities and sociology gap, and it's all approved on my portfolio/transcript.

Unfortunately I have spent the first semester of the program patching up holes in their core requirements. I am going to do the AP/Micro Uexcels within the next month, and then I'll be able to get into the nursing core. I should have done more research and had my core completed as I did my BA, but I didn't know I was going to be doing EC's program at the time I was doing my TESU work. C'est la vie.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • tifferbugz
(12-19-2018, 04:53 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote:

That does not include CLEP. I used 2 of them to fill a humanities and sociology gap, and it's all approved on my portfolio/transcript.

Unfortunately I have spent the first semester of the program patching up holes in their core requirements. I am going to do the AP/Micro Uexcels within the next month, and then I'll be able to get into the nursing core. I should have done more research and had my core completed as I did my BA, but I didn't know I was going to be doing EC's program at the time I was doing my TESU work. C'est la vie.

Hindsight is 20/20...all the prereqs I could have gotten while doing my business degree... D: 

Thanks so much for your reply. Best of luck to you! Sounds like you're making progress. Smile

(12-19-2018, 03:30 PM)HappyNurse35 Wrote:

From my knowledge for the ADN program, only 7 Ace credits can be accepted for non-science courses.

Thank you! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes tifferbugz's post:
  • Cheeseburrito

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 529 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 1,014 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,728 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,772 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,400 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,370 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,142 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,841 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,307 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,370 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az