Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I ready for my CLEP tests?
(01-26-2019, 07:12 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 11:54 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Did alright, passed all three this morning.  
Principles of management,  68
Principles of marketing,  73
Principles of macroeconomics,  70

Relieved to have another group finished.  Smile

Okay, so you're kidding right- you did "alright?"
You KILLED THEM!!! WOW congratulations!!!!
Also, did you really take THREE exams in one day??  You're my hero!

Nice Wink

It's psychological I think, cause if I saw a 70 on a regular test I would be so mad at myself for my inadequate study..lol I told my parents I got a 70 on macro and their first reactions were, "oh, I'm sorry, do you have to retake it?" Sure wish that CLEP would have just gone with a scale like DSST instead. If you tell someone you got a 470 on your DSST, people are just like, "is that good?" but if you share you got a 70 on CLEP everyone sort of winces like you barely passed.. 

It was way less time-consuming taking the tests on Saturday. The cashier's office is closed, so I got to just pay right there at the testing center. They can't take cash, but, debit is easier anyways. I started my first test at 9:15 and signed out at the end of my third test at 11:45. But, none of these three were particularly time consuming other than macro. I will definitely be going on Saturday for my last two CLEP tests, way faster than going on a Friday.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
[-] The following 2 users Like Jenniferinfl's post:
  • cookderosa, morethancjsmom
(01-27-2019, 07:31 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 07:12 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 11:54 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Did alright, passed all three this morning.  
Principles of management,  68
Principles of marketing,  73
Principles of macroeconomics,  70

Relieved to have another group finished.  Smile

Okay, so you're kidding right- you did "alright?"
You KILLED THEM!!! WOW congratulations!!!!
Also, did you really take THREE exams in one day??  You're my hero!

Nice Wink

It's psychological I think, cause if I saw a 70 on a regular test I would be so mad at myself for my inadequate study..lol I told my parents I got a 70 on macro and their first reactions were, "oh, I'm sorry, do you have to retake it?" Sure wish that CLEP would have just gone with a scale like DSST instead. If you tell someone you got a 470 on your DSST, people are just like, "is that good?" but if you share you got a 70 on CLEP everyone sort of winces like you barely passed.. 

It was way less time-consuming taking the tests on Saturday. The cashier's office is closed, so I got to just pay right there at the testing center. They can't take cash, but, debit is easier anyways. I started my first test at 9:15 and signed out at the end of my third test at 11:45. But, none of these three were particularly time consuming other than macro. I will definitely be going on Saturday for my last two CLEP tests, way faster than going on a Friday.

Hey that's great! Yeah, I agree that 70 feels like a C lol, but you did amazing.
Random question, did your cashier charge you for 3 sitting fees or just 1? I had a school in Illinois many years ago that initially charged me per exam but as I became a regular, allowed me to pay 1 fee on days when I took 2 exams. Just curious for no reason.
(01-28-2019, 07:49 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Hey that's great!  Yeah, I agree that 70 feels like a C lol, but you did amazing.  
Random question, did your cashier charge you for 3 sitting fees or just 1?  I had a school in Illinois many years ago that initially charged me per exam but as I became a regular, allowed me to pay 1 fee on days when I took 2 exams. Just curious for no reason.

Unfortunately, they charge a sitting fee for each exam. At least it's only $15, the school closer to me charges $30 for each exam.
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenniferinfl's post:
  • cookderosa
(01-29-2019, 07:05 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 07:49 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Hey that's great!  Yeah, I agree that 70 feels like a C lol, but you did amazing.  
Random question, did your cashier charge you for 3 sitting fees or just 1?  I had a school in Illinois many years ago that initially charged me per exam but as I became a regular, allowed me to pay 1 fee on days when I took 2 exams. Just curious for no reason.

Unfortunately, they charge a sitting fee for each exam. At least it's only $15, the school closer to me charges $30 for each exam.
Did you use Modern States? They'll reimburse the proctoring fee if you did
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • cookderosa
(01-29-2019, 11:49 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 07:05 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:

Did you use Modern States? They'll reimburse the proctoring fee if you did

Yes, I used Modern States. I have no extra money until tax return time, so, I'm very grateful to Modern States. After next weekend's CLEP tests I will probably just go ahead and apply to WGU. Fingers crossed I can just finish in one term. I qualify for some Pell Grant and loans. I would prefer to knock out some more classes via Straighterline, I'll do at least one more to get the discount, but, otherwise I'll only be able to afford to do one Straighterline every couple weeks. I desperately want to finish my bachelors in time to start a masters in fall. Smile
Sophia(2 credits)
  • quigongene
Just remember, you can only "import" 90 credits at WGU.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(01-29-2019, 09:42 PM)quigongene Wrote: Just remember, you can only "import" 90 credits at WGU.

A lot of my 'brick and mortar' college credits do not apply to an accounting degree. Only around 30 of my 'brick and mortar' credits are likely to transfer in as most of my credits are science/math. I expect to transfer in about 22 CLEP credits and perhaps 6 credits from Straighterline. I'll still have 60+ credits to do at WGU. I would prefer less, but, it's going to take me a long time to come up with the $1000 or so for another 30 Study.com credits. Obviously it would be cheaper than owing on a student loan- but, I have an hour commute to earn $12 an hour at a job where I have quite a bit of responsibility. I want out like yesterday.. lol
Sophia(2 credits)
  • quigongene
(01-29-2019, 10:58 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: I want out like yesterday.. lol
I was able to knock out 55 CUs in 15 weeks....you've picked the right school ;-)
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • Jenniferinfl
(01-29-2019, 10:58 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 09:42 PM)quigongene Wrote: Just remember, you can only "import" 90 credits at WGU.

A lot of my 'brick and mortar' college credits do not apply to an accounting degree. Only around 30 of my 'brick and mortar' credits are likely to transfer in as most of my credits are science/math. I expect to transfer in about 22 CLEP credits and perhaps 6 credits from Straighterline. I'll still have 60+ credits to do at WGU. I would prefer less, but, it's going to take me a long time to come up with the $1000 or so for another 30 Study.com credits. Obviously it would be cheaper than owing on a student loan- but, I have an hour commute to earn $12 an hour at a job where I have quite a bit of responsibility. I want out like yesterday.. lol

The main issue with WGU is that they have so few GE's,and so many major courses, that if you're trying to bring in a lot of GE-type courses (as many people do), you end up with tons of credit that can't be used.

I think you'd be better off really planning your degree out, and shooting for at least getting any cheap/free courses out of the way if you can - and CLEP probably isn't going to cut it at WGU (esp with that accounting degree).  You should try for College Algebra, Business Law, Financial Acct, Microecon, English Comp, and your sciences through CLEP, and then think about Saylor for Intro to Business, Managerial Acct, Stats, Org Behavior, Prin of Finance, Corp Comm, and MIS.  That way, you're only paying $175 and getting those courses out of the way, making it easier to think 1 term instead of 2.

I have no idea what your B&M credits are, but really think that you can finish up with CLEP, move onto Saylor, and knock out some courses for really cheap before you have to worry about enrolling at WGU.  That also gives you some time to try to save up some money before you enroll as well.

Don't forget that you get a $200 discount if you take 4 SL courses, plus you can get a $500 scholarship each term (I think it's almost automatic).

I forgot to mention: I think WGU will take Shmoop (??), in which case you might be able to knock out a bunch of courses for $88 as well.

Too bad Modern States doesn't work with DSST's, so that you could get Speech & HRM done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-30-2019, 01:58 AM)dfrecore Wrote: [...]
I forgot to mention: I think WGU will take Shmoop (??), in which case you might be able to knock out a bunch of courses for $88 as well.
[...]

WGU was the first to disallow Shmoop courses... well before TESU stopped taking them.

I was wondering if they might start accepting them once Shmoop added proctoring, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that anything has changed with their opinions of Shmoop.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,847 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Free access to job ready Coursera certs cardiacclep 22 3,998 06-28-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: sayazop
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,317 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone Do IQ Tests or a Part of an IQ Society? dewisant 9 934 05-13-2022, 06:34 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,644 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Looking for EQ & IQ Tests online: Anyone? bjcheung77 6 978 10-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,275 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,237 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az