Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I understanding this correctly about Shmoop and TESU?
(05-11-2018, 03:05 PM)eriehiker Wrote: My message:

I received the email regarding indefinite suspension of Shmoop courses on Friday. I am currently in the middle of the Shmoop Finite Math course. I did not request approval from advising for the course because, while the course could be used within my approved programs of study, I am not using it for that purpose. I am about to graduate with associate degrees in math and computer science and BSBAs in accounting and CIS. I have been taking extra math courses on the side to bolster my qualifications in these areas. This course is a part of these efforts.

So I am just requesting that I still be allowed to finish this course and submit it to TESU as part of my push to build my skills in math. I understand if this is not possible, but I would appreciate it greatly. I can submit screenshots to prove that I am currently mid-class.

Have a great day!

TESU Response:

We have solved your issue

Dear Michael,
Thank you for your patience while I researched your inquiry. Since your Shmoop Finite Math course was not completed prior to 5/2/18 and the course was never discussed with an advisor so we will not accept the course. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a good afternoon.

As a member of the Office of Academic Advising, I look forward to working closely with you in order to ensure your continued success. Should you need additional support, inquiries may be sent via email to academicadvising@tesu.edu (please note your degree program in the subject line). In addition to this service, I encourage you to schedule an advising appointment. During these personalized meetings, you will receive comprehensive counseling which will enrich your academic experience.

I think the only way this might work for someone would be if they had an email from TESU stating that they would not pre-approve an ACE course into their degree.  Then, at least they would have proof that they tried to get a course pre-approved, and TESU wouldn't do it.  After that, it could open up a path for people to bring in Shmoop courses up to a certain date.  Not certain it will work, but at least for anyone who has written proof that they tried to get pre-approved (even if it's not a Shmoop course), that would be a way around this issue.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-10-2018, 10:25 PM)jsd Wrote: [quote='Sparrowhawk' pid='260034' dateline='1526007715']
We are reviewing our ACE/NCCRS credit transfer policies. All ACE/NCCRS recommendations are subject to TESU review.

This has me extremely worried. I'm technically enrolled at TESU for a BALS but I still have 51 credits I need to take still, including my capstone. I was going to fulfill most of those with Shmoop courses. Heavily considering whether switching to Excelsior or COSC would be a better idea right now.
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doodlebabe's post:
  • coldseal
(05-11-2018, 04:15 PM)Doodlebabe Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 10:25 PM)jsd Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 10:01 PM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: We are reviewing our ACE/NCCRS credit transfer policies. All ACE/NCCRS recommendations are subject to TESU review.

This has me extremely worried. I'm technically enrolled at TESU for a BALS but I still have 51 credits I need to take still, including my capstone. I was going to fulfill most of those with Shmoop courses. Heavily considering whether switching to Excelsior or COSC would be a better idea right now.
Probably best to either wait for the outcome at TESU, so at least you know.
Also, you can create spreadsheets for EC and COSC and compare.
Remember that none of the Shmoop courses will come in as UL at either of those schools, so if you were counting on that, you'll have to find those courses elsewhere anyway.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • coldseal
(05-11-2018, 04:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Probably best to either wait for the outcome at TESU, so at least you know.
Great idea! While I wait for the outcome I am going to begin on putting together degree plans for COSC and EC. I just started looking, but have not come across many for EC and COSC that are for people like me taking the courses instead of testing out. Just to get an idea on how different EC and COSC is from TESU.  Sad  I hate even thinking about it, I had my heart and plan set on TESU! But I'm so frustrated about the possibility of losing my 30 credits, not to mention the sleepless nights and sweat(lol) that I put into passing Shmoop classes in the first place!
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes scout2family's post:
  • coldseal
(05-12-2018, 05:37 PM)scout2family Wrote:
(05-11-2018, 04:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Probably best to either wait for the outcome at TESU, so at least you know.
Great idea! While I wait for the outcome I am going to begin on putting together degree plans for COSC and EC. I just started looking, but have not come across many for EC and COSC that are for people like me taking the courses instead of testing out. Just to get an idea on how different EC and COSC is from TESU.  Sad  I hate even thinking about it, I had my heart and plan set on TESU! But I'm so frustrated about the possibility of losing my 30 credits, not to mention the sleepless nights and sweat(lol) that I put into passing Shmoop classes in the first place!

Have you put together a spreadsheet for either EC or COSC yet? I haven't had the time thus far and am having the same issue, not many spreadsheets already done by others to get a feel for what to expect planning wise from either of them  Sad  Would love to pick your brain if you've already worked on it or collaborate together if we're both still at square 1. I can't keep putting off getting this degree done and it doesn't look or sound like TESU will be budging on Shmoop acceptance anytime soon. Aiming to finish (hopefully including capstone/thesis/whatever the school I graduate from calls it) by mid summer.
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
(05-15-2018, 03:57 PM)Doodlebabe Wrote:
(05-12-2018, 05:37 PM)scout2family Wrote:

Have you put together a spreadsheet for either EC or COSC yet? I haven't had the time thus far and am having the same issue, not many spreadsheets already done by others to get a feel for what to expect planning wise from either of them  Sad  Would love to pick your brain if you've already worked on it or collaborate together if we're both still at square 1. I can't keep putting off getting this degree done and it doesn't look or sound like TESU will be budging on Shmoop acceptance anytime soon. Aiming to finish (hopefully including capstone/thesis/whatever the school I graduate from calls it) by mid summer.

Also interested in an Excelsior spreadsheet. I'm currently at a stand still waiting to hear back from EC about my current 17 credits I have listed with ACE.
TESU - BALS 114/120
I have BALS spreadsheets for all 3 schools, but the problem is I don't know how different courses fit into the different areas.  So someone else will have to help with that.  Knowing how TESU takes things helps not at all with knowing what the others will do.

Some things to keep in mind:

1) COSC requires 2 natural sciences, 1 of which needs a lab; EC requires 1 natural science; TESU will allow you to take computer science in lieu of natural science

2) COSC will take free FEMA courses; EC will allow you to bring in FEMA courses through FCC (so not free, so why did I bother writing this); TESU doesn't allow the FEMA IS courses at all

3) COSC/EC have per-term fees, TESU does not; so enroll at TESU ASAP, but wait to enroll at COSC and EC until you're ready to take the capstone and graduate (basically until you have all of your other credits)

4) Math for BALS - TESU/EC allow any college level math; COSC requires College Algebra or Stats
   Math for BSBA - TESU/COSC require College Algebra and Stats; EC requires Precalc and Stats

5) TESU only requires 12cr/15cr of UL in the AOS, plus capstone; EC/COSC require 30cr of UL throughout the degree

6) At this point, it looks like TESU is following in the footsteps of EC/COSC in terms of ACE/NCCRS recommendations for UL credit (they used to be very lenient).  So this is no longer an automatic reason to choose TESU.

The schools all cost roughly the same for a BALS or BSBA, comparing apples to apples - COSC is a bit cheaper, especially if you have a bunch of FEMA credits.  Otherwise, price would not be a reason to choose one over the other two.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 45.78 KB / Downloads: 10)
.xlsx   COSC BA generic.xlsx (Size: 14.32 KB / Downloads: 18)
.xlsx   EC - BALS.xlsx (Size: 511.11 KB / Downloads: 19)
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • coldseal, Life Long Learning, Muldoon, Murdockb
(05-15-2018, 03:57 PM)Doodlebabe Wrote:
(05-12-2018, 05:37 PM)scout2family Wrote: Great idea! While I wait for the outcome I am going to begin on putting together degree plans for COSC and EC. I just started looking, but have not come across many for EC and COSC that are for people like me taking the courses instead of testing out. Just to get an idea on how different EC and COSC is from TESU.  Sad  I hate even thinking about it, I had my heart and plan set on TESU! But I'm so frustrated about the possibility of losing my 30 credits, not to mention the sleepless nights and sweat(lol) that I put into passing Shmoop classes in the first place!

Doodlebabe- I've basically put together what dfercore has provided, but am stuck since I don't know how the Shmoop courses will transfer over. I need to make a decision once we know for sure what TESU decides to do-- should I re-do the 10 courses thru Study.com(or another approved site) OR do I now focus on the extra UL courses for COSC/EC that wasn't in my original plan?! The extra UL requirement isn't necessarily 'more work', just higher level courses. I am leaning towards retaking the 10 courses since I will probably know most of the material anyhow, it's just going to cost me extra $$ that wasn't budgeted for. 

In the meantime, I have applied to the other schools and am sending transcripts. Might as well, plan for the worst and hope for the best.  Blush BTW, does anyone happen to know what the turnaround time is for acceptance to COSC/EC? TIA!

And thanks dfrecore-- for your breakdown and spreadsheets on the Big 3. You're such a huge resource, even if you don't have all the answers.  Smile
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
(05-16-2018, 04:35 PM)scout2family Wrote: Doodlebabe- I've basically put together what dfercore has provided, but am stuck since I don't know how the Shmoop courses will transfer over. I need to make a decision once we know for sure what TESU decides to do-- should I re-do the 10 courses thru Study.com(or another approved site) OR do I now focus on the extra UL courses for COSC/EC that wasn't in my original plan?! The extra UL requirement isn't necessarily 'more work', just higher level courses. I am leaning towards retaking the 10 courses since I will probably know most of the material anyhow, it's just going to cost me extra $$ that wasn't budgeted for.

While COSC/EC should take the Shmoop courses, they are pretty strict about following ACE recommendations, so you can pretty much assume that none of them will come in as UL since they're all LL recommended by ACE. From a course equivalency perspective, you can probably expect them to evaluate similar content-wise to how they were evaluated at TESU, but the only way to be sure would be to submit transcripts and see how they shake out.

If you do, please post up the evaluation. It's probably a good idea for us to start building a database of EC and COSC equivalencies given everything going on with TESU lately.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(05-16-2018, 06:02 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 04:35 PM)scout2family Wrote: Doodlebabe- I've basically put together what dfercore has provided, but am stuck since I don't know how the Shmoop courses will transfer over. I need to make a decision once we know for sure what TESU decides to do-- should I re-do the 10 courses thru Study.com(or another approved site) OR do I now focus on the extra UL courses for COSC/EC that wasn't in my original plan?! The extra UL requirement isn't necessarily 'more work', just higher level courses. I am leaning towards retaking the 10 courses since I will probably know most of the material anyhow, it's just going to cost me extra $$ that wasn't budgeted for.

While COSC/EC should take the Shmoop courses, they are pretty strict about following ACE recommendations, so you can pretty much assume that none of them will come in as UL since they're all LL recommended by ACE. From a course equivalency perspective, you can probably expect them to evaluate similar content-wise to how they were evaluated at TESU, but the only way to be sure would be to submit transcripts and see how they shake out.

If you do, please post up the evaluation. It's probably a good idea for us to start building a database of EC and COSC equivalencies given everything going on with TESU lately.

I fine Excelsior NOT strick about ACE recommendations on DSST and FEMA F2F ACE credits (some LL as UL).  I found TESU to be very strict. Only way to really find out is to apply to all 3.   orgasm during sexOT 
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,999 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,670 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,126 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,663 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,742 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,359 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,604 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,336 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,392 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,869 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore