Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing FREE 24/7 tutoring for military & families in LOTS of subject
No, I'm not making anything promoting this site. I just found out about this through an adviser at TESC and checked it out while using ALEKS.

Military and dependents get FREE TUTORING 24/7 through Tutor.com. Online whiteboard and chat sessions with a tutor, plus you rate the tutor after each session.

Like I said, ALEKS was being too picky on some questions and made me question if my math-fu was growing weak. A couple minutes with a tutor and a whiteboard proved ALEKS is just a whiny little nit sometimes, even when you are 100% mathematically right.

Topics include K-12 and college level math (through calculus), science, English, and social studies. Those topics sound familiar... Free tutoring for your tests! :coolgleam:

The whole thing is picked up by DoD Library funding! Big Grin

Our families get to use it too, so USE IT WHILE YOU CAN.

*EDIT* They also have tutors for GED citizenship testing, and "career tutoring" for job searching, resume writing, and interview prep!
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
And I agree with aleks, I keep retesting the precal assessment and it keep getting in the 60s, I thought it just hated me lol if I can get help from a tutor it would give me 1 of my final requirements for my BA. .....great find by the way, I used. Liveperson and they say they have degrees but I doubt it. For a few questions they want 30$ than I had the person get them wrong and said it was 2 hard and he would need more money t do it right lol total ripoff-con. Now if I get stuck on a problem I can get a educated answer...... big big big help......were they able to help u with aleks...
Beginning algebra- ALEKS
Intermediate algebra- ALEKS
College algebra-ALEKS
Precalculus-ALEKS
Intro to statistics-ALEKS
Trigonometry-Aleks
Business statistics-Aleks
BS- Western Michigan University- April 28, 2012
2nd Lieutenant- Dec 14, 2012
Actually my first question was regarding ALEKS. I'm slogging away at College Algebra right now. Next is trig for my TESC requirement and then stats. I was considering avoiding pre-cal and definitely planned to avoid calculus, but with this I will certainly do pre-cal and may consider calculus I and II after all.

What was bugging me w/ ALEKS was this problem that I finally had to just vent about on that thread. Basically ALEKS would require me to fully factor a problem in one question, and then when I went back to the pie and proceeded to the next level question and factored fully it would tell me I was wrong and say the right answer was to stop before factoring.

I talked w/ the tutor and confirmed that yes, mathematically I was correct, and ALEKS was just being a little snot about it for no apparent reason. The tutor was trying to find the pattern behind why ALEKS would suddenly change the rules and he also couldn't figure it out. But that's OK, as I told him I can deal with that. I can learn the pattern after getting a couple of problem "wrong" and then try to leave it un-factored to "pass" that problem. But I couldn't deal with the idea that the Rules of Math had suddenly shifted on me with no explanation. The tutor helped restore my sanity.

I also used it later in the evening to resolve an issue I had with raising negatives to a power when parens are involved but it's still ambiguous whether to include the negative or not. Even the "Dr Math" website said "be careful" and that a lot of times it comes down to how different teachers interpret the problem. Since ALEKS is a system and not a teacher, I couldn't figure out what the "interpretation" would be and needed "the real rule" rather than BS. By the time I was done the second time the second tutor said she really had to think hard through the fundamental principles involved (raising negatives, factoring out -1 infinitely, etc) in order to determine the correct way forward. I actually learned quite a bit in the process.

This really is an awesome service for us AND our families.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,060 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,881 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,791 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,604 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,797 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,897 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,948 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Free Coding bootcamps for veterans: VET TEC program through the VA MNomadic 10 4,305 06-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Busch Gardens or SeaWorld free for veterans MNomadic 0 1,381 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,313 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90