Other
26.67%
4 26.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon Kindle or Barnes & Noble NOOK?
My birthday is coming up and I need to decide what I want. I'm kind of frugal and wanted to see which gets the most bang for your buck.

Opinions?
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:My birthday is coming up and I need to decide what I want. I'm kind of frugal and wanted to see which gets the most bang for your buck.

Opinions?

Tell a group of your friends that you'd really love to have a Kindle for your B-Day, and then tell another group of friends or family that you'd really love to have a Nook for your B-Day. Then sit back and hopefully you'll get both. Big Grin

Check out this comparison website:
Kindle vs. Nook vs. iPad: Which e-book reader should you buy? | Crave - CNET
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I've had the nook 'classic' since its introduction and have been very pleased with it. I've played with a Kindle before and didn't find many differentiating features. I don't think you would be disappointed with either one.

You might also want to consider the nook color. While more expensive, it may provide you with the better bang for the buck. It depends on what you read - magazines and web pages look a lot better on the color version. If I had a do over I think that would be my choice.
MS Information Security and Assurance, Western Governors University
BA Natural Sciences/Mathematics, TESC

CLEP: American Government, U.S. History I; DSST: Astronomy, Environment and Humanity.
My mom has a kindle and honestly if you want an e-reader, go for the kindle.

If you want almost like a tablet, i would say go for the nook color.
[COLOR="Magenta"]65 B&M credits so far Smile
ACE Credits-
Sophia Conflict Resolution
Kaplan PLA course
FEMA - PDS Certificate (2011)

BA hopeful :hurray:

Eventually-
Masters degree
Valdosa DPA [/COLOR]
LOL @ clep101. OMG haha.

What's the difference b/w a tablet and e-reader?
i say spend a little extra and get some kind of tablet

in addition to reading books, you can actually use alot of tablets for taking online classes, and tons more.

or you can get the nook, considering that its an android tablet anyway and hope they unlock all the features one day. or you can root kit it and make it a full tablet yourself.
hmuchmo1 Wrote:i say spend a little extra and get some kind of tablet

in addition to reading books, you can actually use alot of tablets for taking online classes, and tons more.

or you can get the nook, considering that its an android tablet anyway and hope they unlock all the features one day. or you can root kit it and make it a full tablet yourself.

Although, if you are going to use it primarily for reading, consider the advantages of a reader:
  • less eye strain (colored screens can increase this significantly)
  • battery life (enormous difference)
Plus, if you get a tablet, you are likely to be distracted by entertainment options more often (I know I would!).
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
yeah I cant really argue about getting distracted but considering that you can actually do homework on the tablet would certainly be the winner for me.

I would hope as online degree seekers we could be strong willed and avoid angry birds as often as possible. :p

sirjake Wrote:Although, if you are going to use it primarily for reading, consider the advantages of a reader:
  • less eye strain (colored screens can increase this significantly)
  • battery life (enormous difference)
Plus, if you get a tablet, you are likely to be distracted by entertainment options more often (I know I would!).
Lazy question alert: what can a modified nook do that the original nook can't do? Also, is it root or route? When I asked B&N seller yesterday about modifying the nook, he used a word that sounds like root/route, and I assumed it was the latter. Ah, the joys of the English langiage!!:confused:
Wow, y'all are talking a different language to me! Less eye-strain is VERY important to me. I also have ADHD, so the last thing I need are distractions. I seem to find those all on my own...I have a TERRIBLE addiction to the internet as it is. It's useful, but also such a bad addiction for me lol. SO I guess Kindle would fit me? I saw one on sale at Costco's for $99.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon ‘censored’ COVID-19 vaccine books after ‘feeling pressure’ from Biden White Ho Charles Fout 1 360 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Amazon and McD Heroes! bjcheung77 2 691 01-28-2022, 04:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - Pretty Snappy So Far! bjcheung77 0 460 11-20-2021, 08:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Amazon Prime: FREE Battlefield 1 Origin Key! Expires Aug. 4, 2021 bjcheung77 5 1,260 08-03-2021, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Amazon Fire HD 10" Tablet - 32G/64G Sale bjcheung77 1 703 07-25-2021, 12:50 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  Amazon Prime Video: The Tomorrow War! bjcheung77 7 1,382 07-07-2021, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Flelm
  FREE - Amazon.com - Python and OpenGL (Kindle Edition) bjcheung77 1 804 07-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  FREE EBOOKS (Kindle) bjcheung77 2 883 01-10-2021, 11:12 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Who's applying for jobs? Amazon's hiring! bjcheung77 8 1,657 12-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Amazon Prime Day Sale (2 days - July 15 & 16) bjcheung77 3 1,587 07-17-2019, 05:32 AM
Last Post: suzycupcake