Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amberton University
(04-25-2022, 01:56 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 01:37 PM)allvia Wrote: @ss20ts - I just noticed your signature updated.  Did you change your degree plans from the MS in Agile Project Management to the MBA (Project Management?)

Yup I've changed to an MBA after talking to a few people. It brings more diversity than one as strict as the MS in APM. I don't want to be pigeon holed and I want to be able to move up the corporate ladder. The MBA will allow me to do that whereas the MS in APM wouldn't.

Of the two degrees the MBA does cast the widest net.  It may be a few extra courses (MBA 36 credits vs APMs 30), but in the long run I'm sure well worth it. Amberton is very affordable overall too, so little impact on your out of pocket costs.  I have been very pleased with my own Amberton journey, and wish you the same.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • ss20ts, suzycupcake
Changing now actually doesn't increase the number of sessions it will take me to complete the MBA. If I waited until after the summer session then I would have at least 1 extra session, maybe 2 because of the course rotation. So far I'm really enjoying Amberton! The non-religious ethics class isn't that bad. It's my hardest class because philosophy and me aren't besties, but I'm holding my own so far. I am actually enjoying all 3 of my classes which is kind of surprising since that's not always the case. Probably helps that it's grad school and you don't have gen eds and electives. I'm looking forward to my next session as well as I've already made my course list and I'm really happy with my options.
I know for me I dreaded the two  'Required Graduate Studies'*, but in truth they weren't as troublesome as expected. I just wanted them done and in the past; once they are done you get to focus on the subjects that got you to pick the master degree you want in the first place. I know you were able to get transfer credit for one of the two, so that was great. Good to hear that the added two courses won't change your completion timeline.

*Theory & Application of Research Methods & Ethics for Decision Making
Amberton University

(04-26-2022, 07:27 AM)allvia Wrote: I know for me I dreaded the two  'Required Graduate Studies'*, but in truth they weren't as troublesome as expected. I just wanted them done and in the past; once they are done you get to focus on the subjects that got you to pick the master degree you want in the first place. I know you were able to get transfer credit for one of the two, so that was great. Good to hear that the added two courses won't change your completion timeline.

*Theory & Application of Research Methods & Ethics for Decision Making

Yes! I am so glad to have both of the RGS courses out of the way. I transferred in the research course from Charleston. I was elated that I did not need to repeat that one. I had to write a paper every week at Charleston for that class. I also had to read the APA book. Talk about wishing you could watch paint drying! 

Amberton does have a lot of interesting courses in business. Right now I'm in Managing the Generations and it is fascinating. We don't have textbooks for every class either which is really nice. Some classes use business books instead. They're much cheaper and more relevant I find. They are also usually often in the Kindle and Apple store so I can get a digital version and read anywhere which I like.

I am really enjoying my time at Amberton. Thank you so much for our private chats about Amberton! I am sooooo happy I picked them over WGU. I know I am learning much more and I am learning about unique topics in addition to the standard business courses. We all know how much I loved my time at UMPI. I'm actually enjoying Amberton even more! It's harder, but it is grad school so that is expected. I am definitely getting my money's worth out of my courses.
(04-26-2022, 12:45 PM)ss20ts Wrote: We don't have textbooks for every class either which is really nice. Some classes use business books instead. They're much cheaper and more relevant I find. They are also usually often in the Kindle and Apple store so I can get a digital version and read anywhere which I like.

Depending on the book, some of them can probably be found in Libby/Overdrive for FREE, which sounds awesome.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-26-2022, 12:54 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-26-2022, 12:45 PM)ss20ts Wrote: We don't have textbooks for every class either which is really nice. Some classes use business books instead. They're much cheaper and more relevant I find. They are also usually often in the Kindle and Apple store so I can get a digital version and read anywhere which I like.

Depending on the book, some of them can probably be found in Libby/Overdrive for FREE, which sounds awesome.

I did have a few classes where I was able to get the books I needed through my local library; either hard copy or e-book (through Libby/Overdrive). Some other courses required a book rental to be cost effective, but generally books required have been very affordable.
Amberton University

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • rachel83az
I've been looking at Amberton for 2 years now and really want to start based on all this positive feedback! I've also been avoiding the MBA but was excited to hear the Generations class was fascinating!

Please keep posting both of you!! Thanks!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • ss20ts
(04-29-2022, 04:12 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I've been looking at Amberton for 2 years now and really want to start based on all this positive feedback!  I've also been avoiding the MBA but was excited to hear the Generations class was fascinating!

Please keep posting both of you!!  Thanks!

The MBA's are VERY different than most schools. With several of them you don't repeat many of the undergrad business courses which is awesome since I finished my bachelor's in bus admin literally the day before I started classes at Amberton. If you don't have a bachelor's degree in bus admin then there are 4 prerequisite courses that are required but if you've taken them elsewhere and they're on your transcripts you can get them waived. There are a lot of classes at Amberton that are unique. That was one thing I was drawn to. I didn't want to sit through Marketing or Management again. I wanted to learn some other topics. This summer I'm taking a class called Teams and Technology. I'm enjoying Amberton so far!
(04-29-2022, 08:45 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 04:12 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I've been looking at Amberton for 2 years now and really want to start based on all this positive feedback!  I've also been avoiding the MBA but was excited to hear the Generations class was fascinating!

Please keep posting both of you!!  Thanks!

The MBA's are VERY different than most schools. With several of them you don't repeat many of the undergrad business courses which is awesome since I finished my bachelor's in bus admin literally the day before I started classes at Amberton. If you don't have a bachelor's degree in bus admin then there are 4 prerequisite courses that are required but if you've taken them elsewhere and they're on your transcripts you can get them waived. There are a lot of classes at Amberton that are unique. That was one thing I was drawn to. I didn't want to sit through Marketing or Management again. I wanted to learn some other topics. This summer I'm taking a class called Teams and Technology. I'm enjoying Amberton so far!
After reading your post I immediately went to the website and did see the 4 prerequisites and started kicking myself in the butt for not getting the BSBA!  I would have to take all 4 of them and none sound interesting at all  Sad .  I’ve got to keep looking at the other degrees there because I love the idea of being able to choose from classes that fit your style better. I don’t think anywhere else offers that kind of set up.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
(04-30-2022, 06:25 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: After reading your post I immediately went to the website and did see the 4 prerequisites and started kicking myself in the butt for not getting the BSBA!  I would have to take all 4 of them and none sound interesting at all  Sad .  I’ve got to keep looking at the other degrees there because I love the idea of being able to choose from classes that fit your style better. I don’t think anywhere else offers that kind of set up.

You can take the courses outside of Amberton. Amberton does accept some ACE credit so it might be worth investigating. There's also an MA in Professional Development which allows you to take pretty much whatever classes you want.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 287 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 752 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,959 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,180 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 507 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,345 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 377 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,732 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 680 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,316 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel