Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amberton's M.A. - Prof. Development - just graduated
Big Grin 
I just checked Amberton’s Student Portal and I saw that they conferred my Master’s Degree in Prof. Development. Holla!

I highly recommend this M.A. if you just need a Master’s to check a box or to make yourself more marketable.

I’ve been trying to get a certain promotion at my government job for the last couple years. I seemed to always get beaten out by a guy that had either 1 more year of experience than me or went to a more recognized school for their B.A. So I had to come up with some scheme to make myself more competitive.

The job I was going for didn’t require a Master’s, but I knew that having one would definitely at least put me in the top 3.

Since I knew I was going to graduate at the end of this year, I recently started putting the M.A. on my resume. And whaddyaknow… Boom! Got some interviews and snagged a promo!

Besides this being a humblebrag post, I also just wanted to briefly remind everyone how Amberton works for anybody that’s not fully aware:
First you take four 3-credit VESi courses through Augustana University: https://www.virtualeduc.com/direct_accounts/index.php?uid=1

At $290/course, you get 12 credits for $1160.

Once you get an official transcript for those 4 courses, you apply to Amberton and submit your VESi courses for transfer.

After they approve them, you now only have to take 8 courses with Amberton. 2 of the courses are mandatory (Ethics and Research Methods) but they aren’t that hard. The other 6 courses that you have to take can be pretty much any courses you want.

What’s more is that you can choose which class and which professor fits best for you. If you’re not too keen on test-taking (like me), you can take only courses that are all just writing. Or if you like tests, you can find some that have tests with not as much writing assignments.

You can also decide whether you want to knock out all 8 courses in three 10-week semesters, or you can be like me and just take one course every semester for 2 years.

Courses are now $795 each. So 8 courses at $795 = $6360. Estimated textbook cost for each class is about $25 if you get them through half.com, cheaptextbooks, or find a good online rental site. So textbooks = $200.

Along with the $160 graduation filing fee, you’re looking at a cost of less than $8,000 for a Master’s from a non-profit, regionally accredited university. No thesis, no proctors, no GRE. Just maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA and you’re good to go.

It still wasn’t easy; you have to become an expert on APA and grammar, you have to write book-sized papers, and you have to be pretty analytical for some of the courses. Even the open-book exams can be difficult because it won’t simply ask “What is a blah-blah-blah?”; it will instead present a scenario, and you will have to KNOW beforehand from studying what that blah could be. So it’s not an easy feat by any means, but it is doable and it is definitely worth it.

So if you just need a cheap Master’s, I highly recommend Amberton.
[-] The following 10 users Like kevinmane's post:
  • cokididwa, davewill, dfrecore, easyboyfilmsinc, jsd, Life Long Learning, MrPanda, sanantone, suzycupcake, Thorne
(11-27-2017, 11:08 AM)kevinmane Wrote: Besides this being a humblebrag post, I also just wanted to briefly remind everyone how Amberton works for anybody that’s not fully aware:
First you take four 3-credit VESi courses through Augustana University: https://www.virtualeduc.com/direct_accounts/index.php?uid=1

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing this information. Which VESI courses transfer to Amberton?
Excellent kevinmane!!! Looked really hard at Amberton and even completed four courses at Vesi with the initial thought of two of them being used for their MBA program. It's great to have a recent graduate post on the forum - I am sure you will inspire some new fire in Amberton, especially in the super flexible Professional Development program.

Congratulations again!!!
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Congrats Smile

Awesome!!! We definitely need some more graduate school experience on the forum.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-27-2017, 12:00 PM)DIGI-212 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 11:08 AM)kevinmane Wrote: Besides this being a humblebrag post, I also just wanted to briefly remind everyone how Amberton works for anybody that’s not fully aware:

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing this information. Which VESI courses transfer to Amberton?

All of the 3 credit courses. I recommend Learning Disabilities, Understanding Aggression, Why DI, and Try DI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes kevinmane's post:
  • Yenisei
(11-27-2017, 06:10 PM)kevinmane Wrote: All of the 3 credit courses. I recommend Learning Disabilities, Understanding Aggression, Why DI, and Try DI.

To anyone pursuing this, someone on this forum mentioned that Amberton won't accept 2 or 4 credit courses, so make sure to take the 3cr courses (offered through Augustana, IIRC)
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thorne's post:
  • DIGI-212
(11-27-2017, 08:00 PM)Thorne Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 06:10 PM)kevinmane Wrote: All of the 3 credit courses. I recommend Learning Disabilities, Understanding Aggression, Why DI, and Try DI.

To anyone pursuing this, someone on this forum mentioned that Amberton won't accept 2 or 4 credit courses, so make sure to take the 3cr courses (offered through Augustana, IIRC)

That's correct - that was me actually. I took three 2-credit courses hoping Amberton would transcribe them as 6 credits, but they told me they only accept 3 credit courses. Luckily it wasn't a waste for me because I was able to use the 18 Education Graduate credits I got with VESi to up my pay as a part-time Substitute Teacher.

But anyways, yes - DEFINITELY do NOT take any 2 or 4 credit courses - ONLY 3 credit courses!
[-] The following 1 user Likes kevinmane's post:
  • Yenisei
(11-27-2017, 11:08 AM)kevinmane Wrote: I just checked Amberton’s Student Portal and I saw that they conferred my Master’s Degree in Prof. Development. Holla!

I highly recommend this M.A. if you just need a Master’s to check a box or to make yourself more marketable.

I’ve been trying to get a certain promotion at my government job for the last couple years. I seemed to always get beaten out by a guy that had either 1 more year of experience than me or went to a more recognized school for their B.A. So I had to come up with some scheme to make myself more competitive.

The job I was going for didn’t require a Master’s, but I knew that having one would definitely at least put me in the top 3.

Since I knew I was going to graduate at the end of this year, I recently started putting the M.A. on my resume. And whaddyaknow… Boom! Got some interviews and snagged a promo!

Besides this being a humblebrag post, I also just wanted to briefly remind everyone how Amberton works for anybody that’s not fully aware:

At $290/course, you get 12 credits for $1160.

Once you get an official transcript for those 4 courses, you apply to Amberton and submit your VESi courses for transfer.

After they approve them, you now only have to take 8 courses with Amberton. 2 of the courses are mandatory (Ethics and Research Methods) but they aren’t that hard. The other 6 courses that you have to take can be pretty much any courses you want.

What’s more is that you can choose which class and which professor fits best for you. If you’re not too keen on test-taking (like me), you can take only courses that are all just writing. Or if you like tests, you can find some that have tests with not as much writing assignments.

You can also decide whether you want to knock out all 8 courses in three 10-week semesters, or you can be like me and just take one course every semester for 2 years.

Courses are now $795 each. So 8 courses at $795 = $6360. Estimated textbook cost for each class is about $25 if you get them through half.com, cheaptextbooks, or find a good online rental site. So textbooks = $200.

Along with the $160 graduation filing fee, you’re looking at a cost of less than $8,000 for a Master’s from a non-profit, regionally accredited university. No thesis, no proctors, no GRE. Just maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA and you’re good to go.

It still wasn’t easy; you have to become an expert on APA and grammar, you have to write book-sized papers, and you have to be pretty analytical for some of the courses. Even the open-book exams can be difficult because it won’t simply ask “What is a blah-blah-blah?”; it will instead present a scenario, and you will have to KNOW beforehand from studying what that blah could be. So it’s not an easy feat by any means, but it is doable and it is definitely worth it.

So if you just need a cheap Master’s, I highly recommend Amberton.

A big congratulations!!
Awesome! I love to hear posts like this. Congrats on finishing this up and getting that promotion.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Input on My Amberton University Master's/HR Certification Plan Claudia P 8 571 02-13-2024, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Claudia P
  MS in Enterprise Analytics from Amberton? buttercup5000 5 449 10-01-2023, 10:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Amberton klone 8 1,007 07-23-2023, 12:42 PM
  Question for Amberton University MAPD/Counseling students/grads Amberlinjeanne 3 682 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 554 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Big Grin Where are my Amberton peeps? Have a question suzycupcake 7 1,120 10-30-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  New Amberton Grad Certificate ss20ts 0 611 09-21-2022, 11:23 AM
  Has anyone tried "The Center for Development of Security Excellence" thodeptrai 2 652 07-30-2022, 08:57 AM
Last Post: thodeptrai
  Amberton University ss20ts 13 2,074 06-28-2022, 04:46 PM
  ASU Global Leadership & Personal Development thodeptrai 15 2,661 05-21-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle