Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Government CLEP
Hi, don't know if this was posted before, but was curious if others had encountered the same problem. I took American Government CLEP yesterday and didn't pass, this was the second time, and I studied harder, following all the tips as well. I scored 93% on the online one on free clep prep, and completed the entire modern states study sessions, and did self study, but still didn't pass and felt like the questions were so different from what I had studied for.

Has anyone encountered the same?

some of the questions felt more like opinion than fact, and it read more like a feel good opinion than a fact that one would study on textbooks.

I scored 45, same as the first time. 

Not sure if I want to attempt a third time and will probably take an equivalent class to satisfy the category but I am a little baffled as I studied a lot, more than the first time I took this test.
I had heard how difficult the American Gov. CLEP was and instead choose to take the course through InstantCert Credit. Passed with a 93% after a week of work. I was able to transfer it to TESU without issues. I would highly suggest that route. With the study you have already done, it should be very quick.
Current Course(s): Business Administration Capstone BUS-421 (TESU)

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)
adding my experience. Took that one about 1.5 years ago, and passed with score in 60s. I tend to like history and similar studies so it was "easy" for me based on interests. Used modernstates for voucher. Did practice tests with Peterson's because my library system has those for free.

(edit: like alab21, we did Govt after US 1 and US2)
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

My 15yr old son and I I passed a week ago with a 59 and 78 respectively. We took USH 1 (69 & 74) and USH2 (60 & 74) before AmGov, which I think helped. For example, the Glass-Steagall Act was covered in USH2 and we didn’t study it for AmGov, but it was also on my Gov test. All the parties were covered well in both histories, and powers of each branch. Lots of overlap!

Below is the syllabus I put together for all of these. I think this link should work - if not, I can update when I get home. I’m also updating the Gov study document that’s in the paid forums, but I’m not done yet. Maybe this week or next week. Almost everything was on that doc (plus some).

We had very different combos of questions (obviously a huge test bank of q’s), but we both agreed our exams covered content from the notes in the forum, plus what we added. He said he had about 10 questions about Sovereign Immunity, lots of questions about all the congressional committees, elections, lots on polling, PACs/SuperPacs. He only had 2 questions with Amendments (both re: Bill of Rights) and quite a few about the Articles. Only 2-3 court cases were mentioned. Some questions about federalism/cooperative federalism. And a bunch of charts, esp to do with polling and elections.

The version I had of this test on Friday had a LOT of Amendment questions, Articles 1-4 & 6, and more court cases. A little about elections, a question about the difference between PAC and SuperPac. And about the Council of Economic Advisors (who they advise). Most of the questions I had, had a clear cut answer, if you at least knew what a case or amendment had to do with. Maybe a dozen questions had really close answers where you had to think hard.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...I/htmlview

We also used REA practice tests and InstantCert. They were a huge help in filling any little details that might not have been covered in the syllabi. And we used Learning Express practice tests that were free through our library. Those had tons of questions on polling, distributions, etc. I was glad we took them, but I felt that info was disproportionately represented in their practice tests imho - which scared us a little.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes alab21's post:
  • cwendy111
(02-07-2020, 09:50 AM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote: I had heard how difficult the American Gov. CLEP was and instead choose to take the course through InstantCert Credit. Passed with a 93% after a week of work. I was able to transfer it to TESU without issues. I would highly suggest that route. With the study you have already done, it should be very quick.

Thanks, yeah I feel a little discouraged on trying again, I paid in full the first time and this time I got the voucher. I believe I need it for my degree but I will double check with the academic adviser.

I am currently enrolled at TESU and am completing an AA before continuing to International Studies degree.

I have taken other CLEP tests and passed with no problem, the American Gov. one is the only one that I have found harder to pass.

I am also going to take Analyzing and Interpreting literature in CLEP format, hopefully it is more my cup of tea.

I am 10 classes (30 credits) away from getting an associate degree. Trying to complete them quicker testing out, so I can take upper level ones through TESU.

Humanities CLEP (6cr); SL Eng Comp II (3cr);  TESU ( TES-100) 1 cr; Community College (18cr); Sophia (3); Saylor (Sociology);

(02-07-2020, 09:50 AM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote: I had heard how difficult the American Gov. CLEP was and instead choose to take the course through InstantCert Credit. Passed with a 93% after a week of work. I was able to transfer it to TESU without issues. I would highly suggest that route. With the study you have already done, it should be very quick.

Thanks, I will look into InstantCert Credit.

That is the same score I kept getting on the clep prep test online and so I felt very confident.

I will surely go that route. I have three more tickets for different CLEP exams, not sure if attempt them all or consult the forum first, one is for a class I need to satisfy a category:

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (6cr) but the other two are more my choice, but heard they can be hard in CLEP format (US History I and German).

(02-07-2020, 11:38 AM)alab21 Wrote: My 15yr old son and I I passed a week ago with a 59 and 78 respectively. We took USH 1 (69 & 74) and USH2 (60 & 74) before AmGov, which I think helped. For example, the Glass-Steagall Act was covered in USH2 and we didn’t study it for AmGov, but it was also on my Gov test. All the parties were covered well in both histories, and powers of each branch. Lots of overlap!

Below is the syllabus I put together for all of these. I think this link should work - if not, I can update when I get home. I’m also updating the Gov study document that’s in the paid forums, but I’m not done yet. Maybe this week or next week. Almost everything was on that doc (plus some).

We had very different combos of questions (obviously a huge test bank of q’s), but we both agreed our exams covered content from the notes in the forum, plus what we added. He said he had about 10 questions about Sovereign Immunity, lots of questions about all the congressional committees, elections, lots on polling, PACs/SuperPacs. He only had 2 questions with Amendments (both re: Bill of Rights) and quite a few about the Articles. Only 2-3 court cases were mentioned. Some questions about federalism/cooperative federalism. And a bunch of charts, esp to do with polling and elections.  

The version I had of this test on Friday had a LOT of Amendment questions, Articles 1-4 & 6, and more court cases. A little about elections, a question about the difference between PAC and SuperPac. And about the Council of Economic Advisors (who they advise). Most of the questions I had, had a clear cut answer, if you at least knew what a case or amendment had to do with. Maybe a dozen questions had really close answers where you had to think hard.

We also used REA practice tests and InstantCert. They were a huge help in filling any little details that might not have been covered in the syllabi. And we used Learning Express practice tests that were free through our library. Those had tons of questions on polling, distributions, etc. I was glad we took them, but I felt that info was disproportionately represented in their practice tests imho - which scared us a little.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

I have a ticket for US History I but heard is not an easy one either.

Am planning to take it on Sophia.org if I fail it.

My local library is very small and not sure it offers any prep tests but I can check.

I will look into the syllabus and for sure I will do more research, to be more prepared before taking a test. 

American Gov is a 101 level class so didn't expect the studying had to be so extensive, learned all the landmark Supreme Court cases, Glas Steagal act, and really more than I can list here, spent a month on it, to make sure, as it was the second time I took it, and wrote down all things to remember them better, but there were a lot of questions on votes and parties, and the questions were based on opinion not facts. 

And, really, if the questions on the test sway too much away from what the study guide suggests, what is the recourse for students? CollegeBoard?
(02-07-2020, 11:39 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: My local library is very small and not sure it offers any prep tests but I can check.

here's a tip:
In my case, the Peterson's practice tests were part of a state wide electronic library but not books at a local branch. Be sure to ask the reference desk about any state wide online resources access.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

I passed the CLEP with a 68 with a total 15hrs study time. Used Peterson's AP US Government and Politics study guide/practice tests, modern states and Quizlet.

The military pass rate on this exam is one of the lowest at 24% but the test isn't hard nor does it take a lot of time to study for it.

Just a matter of studying the RIGHT things.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-07-2020, 11:39 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:

Thanks, yeah I feel a little discouraged on trying again, I paid in full the first time and this time I got the voucher. I believe I need it for my degree but I will double check with the academic adviser.

I am currently enrolled at TESU and am completing an AA before continuing to International Studies degree.

I have taken other CLEP tests and passed with no problem, the American Gov. one is the only one that I have found harder to pass.

I am also going to take Analyzing and Interpreting literature in CLEP format, hopefully it is more my cup of tea.

I am 10 classes (30 credits) away from getting an associate degree. Trying to complete them quicker testing out, so I can take upper level ones through TESU.

Humanities CLEP (6cr); SL Eng Comp II (3cr);  TESU ( TES-100) 1 cr; Community College (18cr); Sophia (3); Saylor (Sociology);

That is the same score I kept getting on the clep prep test online and so I felt very confident.

I will surely go that route. I have three more tickets for different CLEP exams, not sure if attempt them all or consult the forum first, one is for a class I need to satisfy a category:

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (6cr) but the other two are more my choice, but heard they can be hard in CLEP format (US History I and German).

(02-07-2020, 11:38 AM)alab21 Wrote: My 15yr old son and I I passed a week ago with a 59 and 78 respectively. We took USH 1 (69 & 74) and USH2 (60 & 74) before AmGov, which I think helped. For example, the Glass-Steagall Act was covered in USH2 and we didn’t study it for AmGov, but it was also on my Gov test. All the parties were covered well in both histories, and powers of each branch. Lots of overlap!

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

My local library is very small and not sure it offers any prep tests but I can check.

I will look into the syllabus and for sure I will do more research, to be more prepared before taking a test. 

American Gov is a 101 level class so didn't expect the studying had to be so extensive, learned all the landmark Supreme Court cases, Glas Steagal act, and really more than I can list here, spent a month on it, to make sure, as it was the second time I took it, and wrote down all things to remember them better, but there were a lot of questions on votes and parties, and the questions were based on opinion not facts. 

And, really, if the questions on the test sway too much away from what the study guide suggests, what is the recourse for students? CollegeBoard?

The study doc in the InstantCert forums for that someone made for USH1 is fantastic. I merged and added to USH2 study doc and uploaded that one. Doing the same for AmGov, it’s not ready yet.

Gov was more challenging, but as an adult who’s been around quite a while, I knew quite a bit. It was much harder for my son who isn’t old enough to vote and doesn’t watch things like Law & Order or West Wing. Wink I consider USH1 a relatively easy one to pass, especially with that study document.

(02-07-2020, 04:52 PM)alab21 Wrote:

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

The study doc in the InstantCert forums for that someone made for USH1 is fantastic. I merged and added to USH2 study doc and uploaded that one. Doing the same for AmGov, it’s not ready yet.

Gov was more challenging, but as an adult who’s been around quite a while, I knew quite a bit. It was much harder for my son who isn’t old enough to vote and doesn’t watch things like Law & Order or West Wing. Wink I consider USH1 a relatively easy one to pass, especially with that study document.

Okay, I updated the study document for American Gov and just uploaded it to the InstantCert Forums. I'll attach it here too, in case you can't get to it.

Attached Files
.docx   Study Sheet for American Government 07Feb2020.docx (Size: 718.47 KB / Downloads: 84)
(02-08-2020, 12:45 AM)alab21 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:52 PM)alab21 Wrote:

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Okay, I updated the study document for American Gov and just uploaded it to the InstantCert Forums. I'll attach it here too, in case you can't get to it.

Thanks. I will look into it. 

As an adult and having passed all online tests I didn't expect the test to be so different. And I took the first one almost two years prior so all I remembered about the first American Gov test I took was that it went beyond the description of syllabus just like you said, but also some of the questions felt heavily influenced by today's left political beliefs. Results from polls or opinion are not really a test of knowledge on the structure of our government or the laws that were passed to better protect our country's citizens.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP transcript question NOX 3 63 11 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP Scores Change from 20 years to 10 natshar 2 144 04-14-2024, 10:14 PM
  Can CLEP, SDC, Sophia be considered Education Credit Expenses? bruh 1 117 04-13-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CLEP Economics marinereef 3 260 04-05-2024, 01:46 PM
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 205 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 527 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 889 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 567 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 732 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 462 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill