Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Discussions
For those of you taking online classes that require online discussions, are you at all concerned that people simply cannot write, or that they make very little sense in their writing? I just read through a few discussions and it is very disturbing how people cannot spell or use the proper form of there, their, and they're.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:For those of you taking online classes that require online discussions, are you at all concerned that people simply cannot write, or that they make very little sense in their writing? I just read through a few discussions and it is very disturbing how people cannot spell or use the proper form of there, their, and they're.

It doesn't change no matter which school I attend. There are always people who don't have their act together and they're not going to make it very easily through the process. How was that?
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
cooperalex2004 Wrote:It doesn't change no matter which school I attend. There are always people who don't have their act together and they're not going to make it very easily through the process. How was that?

It's brilliant!
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:For those of you taking online classes that require online discussions, are you at all concerned that people simply cannot write, or that they make very little sense in their writing? I just read through a few discussions and it is very disturbing how people cannot spell or use the proper form of there, their, and they're.

I try to focus on my own work and worry less about others. I struggle with writing so I have no right to judge others.

Online discussion boards are a mess. They are supposed to encourage dialog, but the various requirements create an environment where dialog is manufactured to meet the requirements. My wife and I were discussing this just yesterday. I am working on a website for students to create virtual study groups where real dialog can take place. Students in a classroom environment discuss assignments before and after class without the moderation of an instructor. Having the instructor moderate the forums limits the ability to discuss the quality of instruction and people are afraid of being accused of cheating for asking questions that would be common place in a face to face situation.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
I had only one class with discussions. I would never do it again. Some of the people in my class were supposed to be on their last credits and I could not even understand what they were trying to say. I will be the first to admit that on this board I do not always check my spelling or grammar before posting, but this is not a graded class. Our mentor never commented on the discussions so people probably felt it didn't matter. There was a grade for discussions although I don't know if she ever took off for spelling or grammar, I always got 100:coolgleam:.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Ignore it. Post early, post often, and set the tone.
Online discussions are a mixed bag for me. Some of them have been very interesting and well-done, enabling students to share more thoughtful, in-depth insights than they could in a more fast-paced in-person class. However, discussions about a highly specific or technical topic can be mindnumbingly boring - in those cases, submitting a paper with be a much better format.

And yeah, I've encountered too many students who utterly can't write - people who make 15-20 grammatical errors in a single paragraph. I try not to think badly of them except when they're paired with me in team projects!

I agree that there are things that students - and people in general - are only comfortable discussing in a face-to-face environment. That's one of the things you miss out on with an all-online format, unless students know each other in real life or correspond frequently using e-mail or SMS.

For these reasons, I find that hybrid classes often provide the best of both worlds.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 772 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 280 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 417 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,389 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 341 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,788 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 762 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,782 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 411 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,195 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045