Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Public University (APU)-- A good source for obscure credits?
(01-30-2018, 09:52 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: yes, i'm well aware of what shmoop transfers as. my point was that taking 20 classes a week with the tabs open is a joke. you aren't going to learn anything so what are you doing? just paying money to get a degree, which symbolizes no actual learning on your part. if that's all you want, people sell them. the point is supposed to be that you actually learn something while moving through the process as quickly and cheaply as possible

I am about to get my degree in Business/HR.  I worked in it for 13+ years, in many capacities, for different companies.  If I want to use an open-book or open-tab course to get credit for a class that means absolutely NOTHING to me because I don't need it and will never use it, that's my prerogative.  For some classes, I honestly don't care if I learn nothing in it.  Sometimes, I find the requirements for degrees to be non-sensical and just plain dumb.  Who decided that a business major has to take speech?  Or literature?  For a business degree, w\Why does my local 4-yr school require calculus I, but EC only requires precalc and TESU only requires College Algebra?  Who is right here?

So I say, take your courses how you'd like, and focus on what you want.  If you don't want to learn anything, then don't.

BTW, many of those 20-yo's at 4-yr state schools spend more time playing Beer Pong than learning too.  But if they can get through a degree, then more power to them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • badooble, cookderosa, Life Long Learning, MSK9
(01-30-2018, 09:02 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: How was Film Studies?

Not bad. It's an introductory course but it touches on storytelling through film and its technical "substrates," i.e. types of lighting to convey an attitude of the director or stylistic motif. There's also a bit of film history in there for good measure.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
" What makes the "open tab" concept any different than say, an open book test?"

if you're doing 20 open book tests a month then its no different and i wouldnt do it that way either. yes, everyone learns differently but come on. if you're actually learning anything at all you don't need the book open during the test

" If I want to use an open-book or open-tab course to get credit for a class that means absolutely NOTHING to me because I don't need it and will never use it, that's my prerogative."

if you wanted to buy a degree to hang on your wall, that would be your prerogative too. i dont mind either way, i was just suggesting that if you're going to game the system that hard you could save yourself some trouble and just skip to the end
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(01-30-2018, 04:59 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: " What makes the "open tab" concept any different than say, an open book test?"

if you're doing 20 open book tests a month then its no different and i wouldnt do it that way either. yes, everyone learns differently but come on. if you're actually learning anything at all you don't need the book open during the test

Ever taken Organic Chemistry? Wink
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 1 user Likes MSK9's post:
  • cookderosa
(01-30-2018, 04:59 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: " What makes the "open tab" concept any different than say, an open book test?"

" If I want to use an open-book or open-tab course to get credit for a class that means absolutely NOTHING to me because I don't need it and will never use it, that's my prerogative."

if you wanted to buy a degree to hang on your wall, that would be your prerogative too. i dont mind either way, i was just suggesting that if you're going to game the system that hard you could save yourself some trouble and just skip to the end

I wanted an RA degree.  I don't think diploma mills sell those.

Again, for many people here, they need the piece of paper, they already have plenty of work experience.  A lot of the requirements have absolutely NOTHING to do with the job they're trying to get.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • quigongene
(01-30-2018, 09:52 AM)jsh1138 Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 09:04 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 12:56 PM)jsh1138 Wrote:
(05-24-2017, 06:01 AM)Notgodot Wrote:
Ideas Wrote:Shmoop has convoluted questions, but you can earn 12-18+ credits for $88 if you work fast. $88 total, making it under $8 per credit.

If you know your literature, get into the Shmoop mindset, keep all your tabs open for each unit (as well as the synopsis and symbolism pages for lit) so you're ready for the unit test, and are willing to spend 12-14 hours a day busting it out, you can complete all the lit and history courses in two weeks. 39 credits for around $88. It's not fun, but it is doable.

But don't bother with Contemporary Lit. It is unpassable.

you can also just buy degrees online, if you're not into actually learning anything

Not here. Everything we discuss here is 100% legitimate. Every credit source listed in this thread before your comment transfers to regionally accredited universities.

yes, i'm well aware of what shmoop transfers as. my point was that taking 20 classes a week with the tabs open is a joke. you aren't going to learn anything so what are you doing? just paying money to get a degree, which symbolizes no actual learning on your part. if that's all you want, people sell them. the point is supposed to be that you actually learn something while moving through the process as quickly and cheaply as possible

I understand your point, but there are a few things to clarify:
1) learning is a personal experience.
2) a credential is issued by an external entity.

While it is true that some students may experience learning and credential earning simultaneously, obtaining a credential is done by payment to the issuer and meeting their requirements.

To use personal experience, I am a voracious learner. I study some topics very deeply, I read EVERY day, I am good at researching using credible resources, and I'm good at thinking critically. If I wanted to use my knowledge in some way BEYOND my personal enjoyment, then I probably need a credential to make that happen. How likely are you to hire me to rewire your house without a license? I could have 20 years experience prior to the day I got that license, or 20 minutes- it makes no difference. The credential is the "checkbox" that is needed.

I do think that the world is full of well-experienced and highly qualified people who lack only the piece of paper. That alone is preventing them from job advancement, a raise, or a something else. To give a crap about whether or not they learned Sociology to a depth that I (not a college) decide is "the right amount" is obnoxious and self-centered. I guess if I'm an "A" student (I am), I could say everyone who got a "B" is a joke and doesn't deserve their degree....but that would be equally obnoxious.

People here are resourceful and playing BY THE RULES. Everything else is just an opinion.

Edit to add: a diploma purchased from a diploma mill is illegal in most states. EVERYONE here is pursuing a fully accredited and legally obtained degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 168 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 175 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,150 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 621 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 593 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,064 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 707 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 641 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Thomas Edison State University Transferring EdwardLong 13 1,793 09-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: rachel83az