Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Public University (APU)-- A good source for obscure credits?
Hi, folks!

I'm working on a BA from TESU in either English, or a dual-concentration of English and History. Both of these areas of focus have one tough to find class (with English, it's Non-Western Literature, with History, it's Historiography).

In combing the forums, I noticed that someone discovered a couple of Non-Western literature courses at APU, and I did a search and discovered they also have a Historiography course.

My question is this: Has anyone had any experience with APU? Their tuition appears to be $270/ credit, which isn't GREAT, but is, in my opinion, acceptable, considering how hard it is to find these two courses. The University isn't mentioned on the Wiki, so I decided that I would feel much more comfortable hearing opinions from anyone here before seriously looking into it.

FYI, they are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, which appears to be an RA issuing body.
You're right, APUS/AMU is a great school, they were NA and successfully went the RA route a few years ago.
They're one of the popular ones on the other board, I've not taken courses from them, but a few have from here.
One recommendation, take all the Shmoop courses you can, in English Lit, it has upper level courses at $88/month

I just recommended them yesterday to another member of the board: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesu.html
They're going to be releasing a couple of doctorates: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ogram.html
Previous detailed review threads: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...u-amu.html
They are good for obscure UL credits: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ere-2.html
They accept NA credits if that's the school you choose: http://www.degreeforum.net/graduate-scho...redit.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jsh1138
Shmoop has convoluted questions, but you can earn 12-18+ credits for $88 if you work fast. $88 total, making it under $8 per credit.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • cookderosa
Link? Are these transferable?

Ideas Wrote:Shmoop has convoluted questions, but you can earn 12-18+ credits for $88 if you work fast. $88 total, making it under $8 per credit.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

robbalobba Wrote:Hi, folks!

I'm working on a BA from TESU in either English, or a dual-concentration of English and History. Both of these areas of focus have one tough to find class (with English, it's Non-Western Literature, with History, it's Historiography).

In combing the forums, I noticed that someone discovered a couple of Non-Western literature courses at APU, and I did a search and discovered they also have a Historiography course.

My question is this: Has anyone had any experience with APU? Their tuition appears to be $270/ credit, which isn't GREAT, but is, in my opinion, acceptable, considering how hard it is to find these two courses. The University isn't mentioned on the Wiki, so I decided that I would feel much more comfortable hearing opinions from anyone here before seriously looking into it.

FYI, they are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, which appears to be an RA issuing body.

They work out to be roughly $810/course, which is high, but if you only need 1 course, it's not terrible. They also have the added benefit of being able to do a course in an 8-week term instead of a 16-week semester.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
robbalobba Wrote:My question is this: Has anyone had any experience with APU? Their tuition appears to be $270/ credit, which isn't GREAT, but is, in my opinion, acceptable, considering how hard it is to find these two courses. The University isn't mentioned on the Wiki, so I decided that I would feel much more comfortable hearing opinions from anyone here before seriously looking into it.

Someone else found this Non-Western Lit, which should count: Search for Courses | TN eCampus

I found this Middle Eastern Lit, which I'm guessing counts: Howard Community College - ENGL214

Be sure to check:
Independent Studies at BYU
Independent Studies at CSU-PUEBLO
Independent Studies at University of Idaho
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Others have said there was nothing at CSU-Global, BYU, or U Idaho but maybe things have changed since their post.

Ideas Wrote:Shmoop has convoluted questions, but you can earn 12-18+ credits for $88 if you work fast. $88 total, making it under $8 per credit.

If you know your literature, get into the Shmoop mindset, keep all your tabs open for each unit (as well as the synopsis and symbolism pages for lit) so you're ready for the unit test, and are willing to spend 12-14 hours a day busting it out, you can complete all the lit and history courses in two weeks. 39 credits for around $88. It's not fun, but it is doable.

But don't bother with Contemporary Lit. It is unpassable.
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
A little cheaper than APU/AMU is LSU's distance ed. They have a reasonable offering (including horror fiction, women's lit, drama, 2 subsets of British lit), for $728 total for a 3-credit class).

LSU Distance Ed Offerings

They also offer interesting things in general - sports marketing, forensic accounting, entomology (yes, bug science!), World War II, Louisiana history, gender sociology, a full German sequence, the bulk of an engineering math sequence...it's a total grab bag! Plus it's self-paced!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SolarKat's post:
  • studiousimp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 100 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,874 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 405 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 540 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 2,916 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 581 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Thomas Edison State University Transferring EdwardLong 13 1,750 09-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Linked University Questions for Sophia jdubley 8 1,287 09-28-2023, 10:21 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess