Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient History Courses
Does anyone else find it odd that there are seemingly very few ancient history courses through alternative credit sources? Really the only classes I've seen that cover any ancient history are the Western Civilization courses (CLEP, Study.com, etc) and, to the extent that it can be considered history, the new Sophia.org Ancient Greek Philosophers.

Are there any I'm not thinking of/not aware of?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • harrypotter
I don't think it's odd - I think course providers come up with courses that they think people will pay for, and there hasn't been demand for Ancient History.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
there are many areas of learning that are barely covered at all.

the truth is that most people come into online learning, especially at the Big 3, looking for either a Business, IT, Psych or Nursing degree, and the courses offered are catered to those requirements. You'll find it relatively difficult to get a PolySci degree or Criminal Justice or whatever. It gets even worse with online Master's programs, where nearly all of what's available is either Business, IT, or Education.

I assume it's driven by the markets but then again if all you ever offer is all you ever offer, then people will obviously take what you offer instead of what you don't, so in a sense it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

https://www.ohio.edu/ecampus/print/files...90_CCE.pdf

https://www.ohio.edu/ecampus/print/files...60_PBC.pdf

both from
https://www.ohio.edu/ecampus/print/cours...tml#anchor

BYU has an online course "HIST 302: THE ITALIAN RENAISSANCE"
https://is.byu.edu/description/HIST-302-M001
https://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cf...ct=History
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL
(10-03-2018, 01:49 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: there are many areas of learning that are barely covered at all.

the truth is that most people come into online learning, especially at the Big 3, looking for either a Business, IT, Psych or Nursing degree, and the courses offered are catered to those requirements. You'll find it relatively difficult to get a PolySci degree or Criminal Justice or whatever. It gets even worse with online Master's programs, where nearly all of what's available is either Business, IT, or Education.

I assume it's driven by the markets but then again if all you ever offer is all you ever offer, then people will obviously take what you offer instead of what you don't, so in a sense it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's very costly to create courses, and then to get them ACE/NCCRS approved.  Therefore, companies aren't going to spend a lot of money for unpopular courses that won't make the money back for them.

If more people started getting degrees in Ancient History, then companies would jump to start offering those kinds of courses.  But companies exist to make money.  If they don't, they disappear.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 462,681 1 hour ago
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,624 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,251 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 518 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 939 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,713 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 529 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 297 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 649 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Which UoPeople courses to transfer and where? ecdw94 10 2,632 11-13-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: ecdw94