Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Newbie Question
I have been reading about the "Big 3", as well as WGU and am a bit confused.  Is WGU the only one with self-paced competency based learning model?  Do the other three have traditional semesters or do they have accelerated learning programs, as well?  Sorry, but there is A LOT of information to sift through and I am just not seeing a clear answer.

** It may very well be there in black and white and I'm simply missing it, but I have read so much over the last few days that it's all starting to run together for me...**

Mahalo!!
The Big 3/WGU are the most popular schools on this board because of the degrees they provide and the option to transfer 90 credits into their degrees. There are other providers, we have talked about that are similar to WGU which are also competency based, schools such as Brandman, Northern Arizona University, Purdue Global and so on - such as the for profits, APUS, Capella, Walden, etc, it all boils down to who gives you the most credits and allows you to complete it cheapest/easiest/fastest...

Note: Big 3 allow up to 114 credits transferred into their degree programs, WGU and other Competency Based degree providers only allow up to 90 (which is amazing, compared to other schools who allow up to 30-60 credits transferred). Big 3 requires a cornerstone/capstone to be done, and for the competency ones, you need to "finish" courses according to your schedule/timeline, some who are experienced in the subject matter can get those done amazingly fast - 30 credits in 6 months.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-21-2020, 04:11 PM)Hawaii5oh Wrote: I have been reading about the "Big 3", as well as WGU and am a bit confused.  Is WGU the only one with self-paced competency based learning model?  Do the other three have traditional semesters or do they have accelerated learning programs, as well?  Sorry, but there is A LOT of information to sift through and I am just not seeing a clear answer.

** It may very well be there in black and white and I'm simply missing it, but I have read so much over the last few days that it's all starting to run together for me...**

Mahalo!!

I’m with you! It all becomes mush after a while. That’s how I feel researching competency based Masters programs right now. I can’t remember who said what about which one, etc. lol!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • Hawaii5oh
(01-21-2020, 05:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The Big 3/WGU are the most popular schools on this board because of the degrees they provide and the option to transfer 90 credits into their degrees.  There are other providers, we have talked about that are similar to WGU which are also competency based, schools such as Brandman, Northern Arizona University, Purdue Global and so on - such as the for profits, APUS, Capella, Walden, etc, it all boils down to who gives you the most credits and allows you to complete it cheapest/easiest/fastest...

Note: Big 3 allow up to 114 credits transferred into their degree programs, WGU and other Competency Based degree providers only allow up to 90 (which is amazing, compared to other schools who allow up to 30-60 credits transferred).  Big 3 requires a cornerstone/capstone to be done, and for the competency ones, you need to "finish" courses according to your schedule/timeline, some who are experienced in the subject matter can get those done amazingly fast - 30 credits in 6 months.

Mahalo for taking the time to reply!  So, the Big 3 do have traditional semesters (if I actually took a class at one of them, it would be a traditional "semester" long course), but you can test out of a majority of the courses that are required...is what I'm getting.  WGU (and the others you mentioned) are the "get as much done as you can do in six months"..in a nutshell.  I appreciate the clarification :-)  Please let me know if I am wrong, though.
TESU has 12-week terms, not sure about the other 2. But none are traditional 16-week semesters I don't think.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Hawaii5oh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,027 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,222 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 526 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 714 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,139 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  ACTFL signup question(s) Insert Name 9 921 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  ACTFL question Jennr2z 5 802 06-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,262 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  ACTFL- silly question... uncapentin 10 1,095 02-22-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore