Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Ray of Sunshine In the Job Market!
I know there are some on the forum trying to find a job, here's the latest report concerning degreed job applicants. I don't mean to be a harbinger of doom and gloom but I've been saying this same thing since I finished my degrees. Hopefully this will eventually turn around!

College Degrees More Expensive, Worth Less in Job Market - Yahoo! News

An excerpt:

Quote:The problem isn't just a soft job market - it's an oversupply of graduates. In 1973, a bachelor's degree was more of a rarity, since just 47% of high school graduates went on to college. By October 2008, that number had risen to nearly 70%. For many Americans today, a trip through college is considered as much of a birthright as a driver's license.
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
It's kind of like downward price inelasticity, isn't it? You can increase the number of graduates, but when you go to raise the bar and weed out the less qualified ones people would freak out about "plummeting graduation rates". So we get college degree inflation.

Edit: not the most accurate metaphor in the world, but you get the idea...
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
JanusthePhoenix Wrote:It's kind of like downward price inelasticity, isn't it? You can increase the number of graduates, but when you go to raise the bar and weed out the less qualified ones people would freak out about "plummeting graduation rates". So we get college degree inflation.

Edit: not the most accurate metaphor in the world, but you get the idea...

College is ridiculous. At my brother's graduation this June one of the speakers came out and said "the value of a college education is that it teaches you how to think" and "the only people who fail to see the value of a college education are those who do not have one." Of course I was insulted and incensed and about 6 weeks later I took CLEP numero uno.

It is essentially a screening tool for the desk driving world. It says "Hi, I showed up for 4 years, stuck with it, and I'm literate to boot." It makes sense in a sick sad sort of way. I mean if you don't put a stipulation in a job posting stating that the position requires a BA you're going to have many more resume's to pick through and no credential that certifies that the candidate is literate and can stick with something. Social promotions and compulsory attendance ruined the HS diploma in that respect.

Many employers now demand an internship of some sort to in order to even be considered for an entry level job. So not only do you have to sit through 4 years of school and spend anywhere from 40-160,000 (plus opportunity cost) on a 4 year degree, our friends in corporate America expect you to work at slave tasks, for slave wages, or the ultimate slave wage of 0$/hr in order to gain "experience." So after all is said and done, your slave labor + 40-160k expenditure earns you what? The right to stare at an excel spreadsheet in a cube for 50 hours a week for 30-40k/yr? Or perhaps you can go to law school, take on another 160k of debt + opportunity cost, and then do temporary document review for $35-$28 and hour with no benefits? Or maybe you can work for free( Temporary Attorney: The Sweatshop Edition: Slave Labor )?

If it wasn't for this forum I'd be happily degreeless or in community college taking 9 credits worth of ceramics so I can collect that VA post 9-11 GI bill housing allowance. I chose to learn a trade while I was in the USCG and that decision is now paying huge dividends. Am I going to use my degree to doff my blue collar? Perhaps someday, but they're going to have to beat my current hourly rate + benefits + pension + annuity + OT. I will not be having any of that "Well we know it's a pay cut and you'll be working more, and you'll no longer have union representation but it's such a great opportunity!" crap.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant!!! Ciao!
DEGREES EARNED: [SIZE="1"]
BA, History, TESC '10
AAS, Mechanics and Maintenance, TESC '10
[/size]
TESTS PASSED:[SIZE="1"]
CLEP Social Sciences & History - 70/50
CLEP American Government - 65/50
CLEP English Composition General - 68/50
CLEP A & I Literature 70/50
CLEP Sociology 73/50
CLEP College Math 74/50
CLEP Intro Psychology 72/50
CLEP College Algebra 65/50
CLEP Macroeconomics 73/50
CLEP Microeconomics 70/50
CLEP Western Civ. I 79/50
CLEP Western Civ. II 70/50
CLEP US History I 79/50
CLEP US History II 78/50
DSST Technical Writing 63/46
DSST Intro to Computing 463/400
DSST Substance Abuse 463/400
DSST Fundamentals of Algebra 433/400
DSST World Religions 467/400
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction 68/47
DSST A History of the Vietnam War 78/44
DSST An Introduction to the Modern Middle East 80/47
DSST Western Europe since 1945 71/47
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 70/45

[SIZE="2"]ON DECK:[/SIZE]

A B.E. or an MBA
[/SIZE]
94steve Wrote:College is ridiculous. At my brother's graduation this June one of the speakers came out and said "the value of a college education is that it teaches you how to think" and "the only people who fail to see the value of a college education are those who do not have one." Of course I was insulted and incensed and about 6 weeks later I took CLEP numero uno.
Judging by the number of CLEPs and DSSTs you've taken, and what you've scored on them, I'd say that you're able to think.

Pity that people without college educations can't see the value of said education. Makes it difficult to be motivated to obtain a degree, doesn't it? Rolleyes
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Ruddigore Wrote:Pity that people without college educations can't see the value of said education. Makes it difficult to be motivated to obtain a degree, doesn't it? Rolleyes

Many people with college degrees are finding it hard to find the value in them, especially those that are unemployed in a saturated job market. Still, it's better to have one than not.
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stock market crash homeschoolmom1 18 3,513 04-13-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: changeyourmind90
  Any Market Research Analysts? Levi 0 653 02-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Levi