Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Round of New Sophia Courses
Just noticed in the ACE guide, 3 new Sophia courses are listed.

Introduction to Java Programming
Introduction to Nutrition
Spanish II

All are recommended for 3 lower-division credits from 09/01/2022 to 08/31/2025.

Now to wait for them to appear on Sophia  Big Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like dbinghamjr's post:
  • BitWiseGuy, dragonwolf, JannikTT, MNomadic, ss20ts
Nice!

But, now that InstantCert is out of the ACE credit game, I wish they'd add American Government or something along those lines.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • NC Coach, TwinMom
If UMPI accepts Spanish 2, then the history/poli sci majors could easily complete their foreign language requirements through Sophia! Heck, everyone could take it and fill up one of the elective slots. Nutrition could also fill 3C of the GEC. Will be interesting to see how these transfer.
I'd like to see them add American Politics as well. It's one of the few gen ed's they're missing, besides some form of technical communication (like a white paper class), a pre-calc class, and some type of science lab course where you do a touchstone that satisfies a lab experiment.
(10-16-2022, 01:05 PM)zadaea Wrote: I'd like to see them add American Politics as well. It's one of the few gen ed's they're missing, besides some form of technical communication (like a white paper class), a pre-calc class, and some type of science lab course where you do a touchstone that satisfies a lab experiment.

They have Calc so you may not get a PreCalc class. Lab science would need to be more than just a Touchstone. Labs are usually pretty detailed and take hours in college.
(10-16-2022, 01:21 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-16-2022, 01:05 PM)zadaea Wrote: I'd like to see them add American Politics as well. It's one of the few gen ed's they're missing, besides some form of technical communication (like a white paper class), a pre-calc class, and some type of science lab course where you do a touchstone that satisfies a lab experiment.

They have Calc so you may not get a PreCalc class. Lab science would need to be more than just a Touchstone. Labs are usually pretty detailed and take hours in college.

As an example of the lab course, WGU accepts the following study.com courses - Biology 101L, Biology 107L, Chemistry 111L, Chemistry 112L, Biology 201L, and Biology 202L. And they use labster for all of that, so sophia could cook something up and use labster too I would guess.
(10-16-2022, 01:45 PM)zadaea Wrote: As an example of the lab course, WGU accepts the following study.com courses - Biology 101L, Biology 107L, Chemistry 111L, Chemistry 112L, Biology 201L, and Biology 202L. And they use labster for all of that, so sophia could cook something up and use labster too I would guess.

I'm well aware of the labs on Study. You also pay for Labster as it's not included in the Study price. StraighterLine also has lab sciences. I wouldn't expect Sophia to have courses the same as Study. Also, Sophia courses are feeders to Strayer and Capella degrees.
Sophia has everything but:
1. American Government and Politics
2. Intro to Marketing

They could add Critical Thinking, which would be good for WGU and UMPI students or be used as an elective for other students. 

Javascript programming would be great as well. That's more of a wishlist.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I am surprised that they haven't come out with a marketing course yet especially given the number of business degree grads Capella has had over the years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • NC Coach
(10-16-2022, 04:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Sophia has everything but:
1. American Government and Politics
2. Intro to Marketing

They could add Critical Thinking, which would be good for WGU and UMPI students or be used as an elective for other students. 

Javascript programming would be great as well. That's more of a wishlist.

they have a web dev course -- that's close enough to a javascript course 

they also have a python course                
i don't know why anyone would want a javascript course on their wishlist when they could do python             

what they're missing is pre-calculus                  
they go straight from algebra to calculus               

anyone who starts with algebra at sophia might be tempted to do pre-calculus at straighterline or study.com before doing calculus at sophia    
and once they do pre-calc at another source they may be tempted to continue with calculus at the other source              

if sophia offered pre-calc then there would be no need for anyone to leave

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 263 2 hours ago
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 757 Yesterday, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,102 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,228 Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 292 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 634 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 894 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 872 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 689 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM