Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another creditless IT cert?
Not sure how to take it since you explicit pointed out nothing personally against me, yet that people with a lot of certs are hoarders!?

I too think many certs are a bunch of crap, but never the less, they do show retained knowledge just as a clep or dsst does. FWIW I am a director level person in a $22B corporation and have 20+ years in IT. I only list my certs on resumes to show that I have requisite knowledge in various areas. But I have the experience to back up every single one of my certs, on projects that most IT people can only dream of. I have been part of startups that sold for more than $1B and sat right next to some of the biggest names working on problems that many "IT" people take for granted because it's just built in now. Some of my environments have had thousands of physical servers, and one environment had 250K users! The current environment only has about 25K users, but has 25PB of storage that grows at 1PB a quarter, almost 2K x86 servers with almost 13K virtual servers, not including any of my unix or mainframe servers, and with applications that need to beat 5-9's of uptime but still have near ZERO (less than 1 second) rpo and rto, in case it happens to go offline.

So this is where I will agree with you and bash certs, then I will revisit why some are worthy. Sorry but I am about to really offend a lot of people. CCIE, probably the hardest cert in all of IT to get, and if I remember, I don't think there have ever been more than 30,000 of them at one time, but no ACE credit from what I have seen. Plus, the dozen or so that I know are some of the smartest damn people ever! Also as person in a hiring position, I too look at a load of certifications on a resume with skepticism, but then during the interview I see what they know, I don't eliminate them for the sake of having too many certs. This is where I am sorry for offending, but the majority of people with a Microsoft cert on their resume, have done nothing to backup the cert with experience. And yet MS certs are vendor specific, as I think you put it, the easiest to get college credit for, and 1M plus people have one?! Go figure.

Now considering that I have unix certs from three different manufacturers, and know two more, its safe to say I know unix well beyond what a college course would teach me. Also I obtained instructor status from one manufacturer on many topics which include shell programming, perl programming, etc.. Wouldn't it prove that if I can teach it to others, it might be just a bit beyond a basic college class? The BCFP I listed, to this day is one of the hardest exams I can recall, simply because the class I took to obtain the knowledge is on par with any data communications class I think is out there. And went well beyond my Air Force Electronics classes on digital communications. Please feel free to search out the ENDL Publications "The Fibre Channel Bench Reference" that was required reading material. We are talking good old fashion OSI style encoding and decoding of fibre channel frames, pay particular attention to page 21, referencing the 1996 edition I have, it shows the eye and jitter references we needed to troubleshoot the early days of FC using our finisar fc analyzers for something a goofy as an gbic copper to fiber conversion timing issue!

But nah.. why consider that worthy of any college credit, I mean hell it's only on par with senior year if not graduate level electronics engineering and computer science courses. I went on to use the foundational knowledge that cert provided me, to help keep me relevant to even the most recent 16Gbps FC that is available. It helped me setup some SCI based massive cluster system, it even helped me get selected to go to the IBM Blue Gene labs in Minnesota, to build the prototype Infiniband storage system that went into the 55PB lustre filesystem that Lawrence livermore used to build the Sequoia supercomputer. And I don't even want to start on if anyone cares to debate microprocessor or microcontroller architectures, some of which I learned through certs, and some from working with intel designers as well as members of the DEC Alpha processor designers. But again why would any of this be worthy of credit!?

However, my question if you will read back to my original post, was asking for people who had done prior learning assessments, and if it would be considered part of the evidence of knowledge required? Not your opinion on what you thought of certifications and their place in a "broad horizon of knowledge" of a college degree.

So nothing against you back, but I think I will stick to my own advice and use certs they way I have always used them. Particularly considering that I already make over $250K a year, leaving out my $15K of stock and 30 days a year of vacation.

Dude Wrote:Why would they be? Most all certs you listed are very specific vendor based certs, they are essentially the exact opposite of what higher education is supposed to be about (broad horizon of knowledge).

FWIW, I am in IT, and I have hired for IT positions; I am always weary of folks who have 40375934594 certs on their resume. To me this always screams that the person is a cert hoarder but doesn't actually have any in-depth knowledge about a specific topic. Nothing against you personally, but my advice is to leave all the certs that are not relevant to a specific job you are applying for off of your resume. For example, unless you are sure that the company you are applying to is running Sun hardware I'd leave those certs off and potentially mention it during the interview.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
Scorched,

I love the way your post illustrates the disconnect of higher education from the real world. I decided on Liberal Arts after the Business and Technology school offered me 24 credits of my 59 gained through the Community College of the Air Force in electrical and electronics. As an electrician, I couldn't possibly understand basic AC or DC theory. It nudged me in a direction that I am happy about now, but I walked away from Excelsior after that evaluation. There are too many blanket approaches to evaluations from MBAs who shouldn't be evaluating technical folks.

As a follow up on the 9 credits for certs claim. I looked it up and found the reference in the Business and Technology catalog on page 120. It is discussing the BSIT.
Hey Upton, I feel you.
Exc straight up told my electronics classes from CCAF are not accepted.

I am stuck between finishing my EET which will take another year, or possibly using my experience and certs to PLA for a BSBA CIS, or maybe Comp Sci.

What degree are you pursuing? And from you other posts, I lived the life of an electrician for a while and had some of the same thoughts, can I really do this for 30 more years. (I was 20 at the time).
I did both new construction, which I did enjoy, as well as home services, so crawling in 150 degree attics and such was no fun.

Cheers!

UptonSinclair Wrote:Scorched,

I love the way your post illustrates the disconnect of higher education from the real world. I decided on Liberal Arts after the Business and Technology school offered me 24 credits of my 59 gained through the Community College of the Air Force in electrical and electronics. As an electrician, I couldn't possibly understand basic AC or DC theory. It nudged me in a direction that I am happy about now, but I walked away from Excelsior after that evaluation. There are too many blanket approaches to evaluations from MBAs who shouldn't be evaluating technical folks.

As a follow up on the 9 credits for certs claim. I looked it up and found the reference in the Business and Technology catalog on page 120. It is discussing the BSIT.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
I am taking the lazy way out and using my military credits toward a liberal arts degree. All of those credits that wouldn't transfer in the technology degree transferred in without problems to the liberal arts program. Once I have my BS in liberal studies from Excelsior, I will probably transfer it to CSU-Pueblo and knock out a BS in Sociology. That is this week's plan. Talk to me next week and it might change again. My long term goal is grad school in Canada. The degree just happens to be my ticket to a student visa.

If all else fails, you could do a BSLS with a concentration in electronics or CIS. I guess it all depends on your reasons for the degree.
scorched Wrote:This is where I am sorry for offending, but the majority of people with a Microsoft cert on their resume, have done nothing to backup the cert with experience. And yet MS certs are vendor specific, as I think you put it, the easiest to get college credit for, and 1M plus people have one?! Go figure.

I'll have you know that I love my MCDST and I've spent years... years I tell you... backing up that certification with long hours of Service Desk experience! hilarious
I love management and being able to implement process improvement, but my secret love will always be Service Desk. Now if only I could find a SD job that pays 100k+ Sad

On a sidenote relating to this topic, I've been experimenting with a combination of certs and higher education lately. I'm currently taking a grad-level certificate course in Six Sigma with a concentration in IT. At the end of the day, you get the Black Belt certification, but also a nice little certificate from Villanova that looks nice on the resume. Of course that will also count towards the MBA at Liberty, which goes back to our original conversation - For some reason I've noticed that graduate level programs are much more accepting of certifications than undergrads are. I can apply that PMP to a number of graduate degrees. Something you may think about if you're heading that way, scorched.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
The lazy way? The fact that your moving towards an bachelor is not lazy in my book! Unfortunately I know about changing my mind pretty often about the path I want.

Workplace sociology has always been interesting.

But I may look into the BSLS as you mentioned, thanks!

UptonSinclair Wrote:I am taking the lazy way out and using my military credits toward a liberal arts degree. All of those credits that wouldn't transfer in the technology degree transferred in without problems to the liberal arts program. Once I have my BS in liberal studies from Excelsior, I will probably transfer it to CSU-Pueblo and knock out a BS in Sociology. That is this week's plan. Talk to me next week and it might change again. My long term goal is grad school in Canada. The degree just happens to be my ticket to a student visa.

If all else fails, you could do a BSLS with a concentration in electronics or CIS. I guess it all depends on your reasons for the degree.
Aleks Beg Alg,
Chebasaz,
I know the MS tests can be tough, and I applaud you for backing it up with experience.
So for service desk jobs over 100K, your just not looking in the right direction I bet.
With your PMP and ITIL, you should PM me, I will give you some insider info on how to turn that experience and those certs into 150K+.

I am lucky that my company offers free Green/Black Belt SixSig backed up with LEAN.
Internally we have a yellow belt, not official, but incentive on the path towards black belt.

And yes, I qualify for the PMP in hours, assuming I had a bachelors! Smile
Just need to take our internal course and take the test, but will wait as I think the double whammy of a BS and PMP will work wonders.

OH.. and thanks for FCP.com, that has helped me past quite a few tests already!

Chebasaz Wrote:I'll have you know that I love my MCDST and I've spent years... years I tell you... backing up that certification with long hours of Service Desk experience! hilarious
I love management and being able to implement process improvement, but my secret love will always be Service Desk. Now if only I could find a SD job that pays 100k+ Sad

On a sidenote relating to this topic, I've been experimenting with a combination of certs and higher education lately. I'm currently taking a grad-level certificate course in Six Sigma with a concentration in IT. At the end of the day, you get the Black Belt certification, but also a nice little certificate from Villanova that looks nice on the resume. Of course that will also count towards the MBA at Liberty, which goes back to our original conversation - For some reason I've noticed that graduate level programs are much more accepting of certifications than undergrads are. I can apply that PMP to a number of graduate degrees. Something you may think about if you're heading that way, scorched.
Aleks Beg Alg,
You're quite welcome and thanks for the advice offer! PM Sent Smile
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
Have any of you tried applying to COSC or TESC? I think the Learning Counts PLAs are also worth a try. You can earn up to 12 credits for $250. TESC and Excelsior are partner schools.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Hi, Does TESC accept IT certifications? If yes, Does anybody know the process for sending IT certifications to TESC? I have sent my transcripts to Excelsior.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grad Cert Health Informatics Alpha 0 443 08-01-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Cornell Executive Education: $600 Cert: Leading Through Crisis Life Long Learning 6 1,249 08-10-2020, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Instant Cert Flashcards Adv. Eng. Comp Carnation 0 938 07-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  Instant Cert Question acamp 9 1,836 02-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl
  HarvardX Cert worth $100? fingerscrossedx2 6 2,134 05-11-2018, 11:41 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Is instant cert alone the only material used for passing the clep exams? desireelws50 5 2,088 12-19-2016, 06:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How good/accurate is this practice on instant cert for CLEP College Algebra? BLAKEROBINSON77 1 1,400 05-09-2016, 10:51 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  Human Resources Cert? cjtheo 7 1,585 05-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Cheap VMware Training for VCP Cert JTP 9 1,753 03-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Last Post: scorched
  Project Management Cert Class/126 PDUs for $60! CHEAP CHEAP iwant2stalku 10 1,417 02-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Last Post: iwant2stalku