Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another success story
Happy Wednesday All! I've been inspired by some of the success stories I've read on here and I wanted to share mine. It's been over 20 years since I first dropped out of college, so it's been quite a journey. I first stumbled on this forum back in 2018 or 2019 because I needed a degree to check the box to get a promotion at my current company. I planned to go to COSC and started taking altcredit courses. Then I had some family issues and the pandemic happened... and by the time I was able to restart, a lot had changed. Some of my altcredit providers weren't accepted anymore and UMPI was growing in popularity. So I changed my plans and with lots of support and advice from bjcheung, ashkir, and ss2010s, I was on my way again in February of this year. And after 2 sessions/terms at UMPI at very minimal cost (like someone else I saw on here, I ended up getting enough financial aid to have effectively covered all my altcredit expenses too), I had my degree conferred yesterday. I'm so grateful for all the help I've gotten here and want to encourage everyone to keep trying. If a 50 yo nonnative speaker like me can get this done while working and caring for a disabled spouse, anyone can. And there's an incredible community here to help and encourage you. Really, you all have kept me going when people in my real life circle were asking why I'm bothering to do this at my age.. and I can't thank you all enough. Stay safe, finish the term strong, and have a happy holiday season!

Attached Files
.jpg   Screenshot_20211130-171405_Chrome~01~01.jpg (Size: 49.19 KB / Downloads: 171)
[-] The following 17 users Like nmnyc11's post:
  • allvia, ashkir, carebear_007, Chimera, clj626, Cole22, crotique, dfrecore, jch, Jobe112, LevelUP, NoStudentNoCry, P226mem, Pikachu, ss20ts, WALLACEMC11, withrown
Congratulations! And thank you for the inspiration!

..and 4.0 -- WOW!!
Wow, congrats on an amazing job getting that triple minor! I am totally impressed with the GPA as well, a 4.0! Great work, it's you who put in the effort and now see the degree come into fruition! Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it for that persistence in completing the degree! Just one question, why a triple minor instead of a BABA?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Congratulations!!

As someone just getting ready to start classes at UMPI this is very encouraging. Great grade BTW!

Have a wonderful holiday season with your family!

S
Congratulations!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Congratulations! That's awesome!
More proof that anyone can do this.

Don't be brainwashed by all the negative stats and figures of high college dropout rates. 

Don't be discouraged because you had a bad academic experience in high school or college.

Don't give up, we only have one life.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • clj626
(12-01-2021, 01:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wow, congrats on an amazing job getting that triple minor!  I am totally impressed with the GPA as well, a 4.0!  Great work, it's you who put in the effort and now see the degree come into fruition!  Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it for that persistence in completing the degree!  Just one question, why a triple minor instead of a BABA?
Hi and thanks so much everyone! I signed up for the BLS because I needed fewer classes for it. I wasn't sure how quickly I'd get through each course, how many I could get done each term, etc. I finished super fast both terms, but I had experience in all but one class and I just needed one more class for the Business Admin and 2 for the IS. The Intl Studies gave me a use for the ACTFL tests I had taken, so that was a plus too. 

I thought a lot about just going for the BABA, but I was scared because I didn't have any experience with the classes I'd need for it (i.e. Accounting) and I wanted to keep my 4.0 and finish quickly. I didn't qualify for financial aid for the first session, but I applied for a professional judgment. It took 3 months and I was finishing my last class of the second term (and my whole degree) when that came through. I was poor and exhausted and afraid that taking too many unfamiliar classes would affect my motivation and speed.

In hindsight, I don't really regret it. I'm not planning for a master's, and I've got 20+ years of work experience, a lot of professional certs, and an employer I am likely to retire with so the type of degree didn't matter much for me. I'd advise others to go for it if they can afford it and have the time.

(12-01-2021, 05:34 PM)LevelUP Wrote: More proof that anyone can do this.

Don't be brainwashed by all the negative stats and figures of high college dropout rates. 

Don't be discouraged because you had a bad academic experience in high school or college.

Don't give up, we only have one life.
That's exactly right! I had plenty of hurdles, but the folks here gave me info to get around them or pep talks to keep going. This was my 4th or 5th attempt to finish, so don't give up!
Congratulations! How many classes were you able to complete each term?
UMPI - BLS, Management Information Systems Minor 
Spring 2022 Session 1
Classes completed this session : ENG 121, BUS 200, HUM 103, BUS 244, 
BUS 345, BUS 440, BUS 330, BUS 350, BUS 321, BUS 469, BUS 325, BUS 352
I'm proud of you. Going to UMPI was one of the best decisions I have made.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Bachelors of Business Administration - Supply Chain Management - My Story joshua27 11 1,463 04-30-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: jarrett312
  UMPI Bachelors of Accounting - Just Finished. My Story SaigonDragon 4 1,279 04-18-2023, 12:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NSLS - National society of leadership and success Sara143 6 665 10-14-2022, 09:04 AM
Last Post: ss20ts