Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice
Hi all,

I recently graduated with my Masters of Science in Management and Leadership.  Currently freelancing as a business manager for my own company.  I have 20 years of experience in executive/administrative assisting and project coordination.  I also used to run an event planning business, so I have some experience as a project manager.

I've completed a project management basics certificate from the University of California.  I want to get PMP certified but I am confused with the requirements.  To obtain the PMP certification don't I need to be currently employed in a PM role?  

How often do they audit an application?  What is the verification process?

Do I need to have a CAPM before applying to Assistant/Jr. PM roles?  What job titles would you suggest I seek out to enter into this role?

As a PM do you have a good work-life balance? Do you often work over 40 hours a week?

Thank you for any information to help with this career change into this role.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
I think ashkir should be able to assist with this. I know he's currently studying for the PMP or he will be studying for it soon.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-17-2021, 03:20 PM)collegechick Wrote: Hi all,

I recently graduated with my Masters of Science in Management and Leadership.  Currently freelancing as a business manager for my own company.  I have 20 years of experience in executive/administrative assisting and project coordination.  I also used to run an event planning business, so I have some experience as a project manager.

I've completed a project management basics certificate from the University of California.  I want to get PMP certified but I am confused with the requirements.  To obtain the PMP certification don't I need to be currently employed in a PM role?  

How often do they audit an application?  What is the verification process?

Do I need to have a CAPM before applying to Assistant/Jr. PM roles?  What job titles would you suggest I seek out to enter into this role?

As a PM do you have a good work-life balance? Do you often work over 40 hours a week?

Thank you for any information to help with this career change into this role.

Have you reviewed PMI's website? https://www.pmi.org/

You need to have several years of documented project management experience to apply to take the PMP exam. You will need to study the PMI handbook inside and out from cover to cover. 

If you have completed a course or two in project management, then you're probably eligible to sit for the CAPM exam. 

Every PM's experience will be different. Just as every organization is different as is every project. Some PM's work 40 hours and others work 80 hours a week just like every other job out there. It's up to you to find a position in project management that works with your life.
I just passed my PMP today. AT/AT/AT. I would recommend if you have enough project experience to go straight to the PMP and take Andrew's class on it. Joseph's has a lot of irrelevent info.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 663 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,391 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,587 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,205 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,041 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Google Project Management: Professional Certificate midnite123 5 1,626 10-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Plagiarism on a Team Project ss20ts 16 1,446 08-10-2022, 02:59 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Homeschool forums/message board? Goldilocks! 1 656 06-21-2022, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 1,997 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can We Please Have an Inspirational/I’m Done Board? Tedium 2 627 03-15-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az