Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any advice for CLEP/ exams for my degree?
(02-27-2021, 10:16 AM)ddopesxp Wrote: I appreciate the time and effort everyone has put towards helping me figuring out my degree plan. Thank you for all the options and advice as well I will sign up for Sophia.org and UMPI to knock out some of my UL courses and complete the remaining of the courses with EC.

I think you're confused.  You need to choose a school, I listed 4.  UMPI is one of the schools you'd choose to get your degree from.

If you want to stick with EC, then you can get what you need (from my previous post) via Study.com, Coopersmith, Davar, etc.  You need to make sure what you want to bring in as UL will work, the easiest of those will be Study.com since we know what they count as UL at EC.

(02-26-2021, 12:53 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: At UMPI, it looks like you have everything in the GEC area except a hands-on art course and Spanish 2 (both of which you'd just take there).  You also have most if not all of the Electives done.  For the BLS degree, that leaves 6cr in the GEC, and 18cr for a minor.

I think you could probably get this degree done very quickly (probably 2 terms) for less money and work than any of the other degrees above.  Even the military price at the Big 3 will be more work than UMPI.

UMPI does NOT require 2 semesters of a foreign language except in the history/poli sci degree. The BLS has a 3 credit of foreign language requirement. 

The GEC has additional requirements such as an additional English course - 3 are required. An ethics course is required. ART105 may cover the art learning objective - not the studio art learning objective. The biology requirement may be fulfilled, but the other physical science requirement is not. So there are several courses missing from the GEC. 

UMPI also requires a minimum of 30 credits be completed at UMPI. In addition to the FGEC and general electives, each degree program has a minimum number of UL requirements. The vast majority of those need to be completed at UMPI. The BLS also requires a minor. There are 5 options for a minor - project management, education, management, accounting, and management information systems. It is not just a general liberal arts degree like EC, ESU, and COSC offer like the BALS. 

Sorry, I thought the GEC was standard for all degrees.  This school is somewhat confusing. This is what I use to try to figure out the degrees, if I should use a different one, let me know.  Usually schools are fairly consistent in their GE requirements, no matter your degree; and if they require additional courses, they put it directly on the website for students to see.  http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?cato...curriculum

I did not see that a 3rd English course was required, nor an Ethics course, I did say a studio art was still required (I referred to it as hands-on art), I don't think another physical science is required since he has Oceanography.

But I do think that if the OP wants to go to UMPI, I would suggest just applying and starting, rather than taking any additional courses - he has enough credits to bring in and cover almost everything.  The only reason to take additional courses through an alt-credit provider is if he chooses one of the Big 3.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-27-2021, 11:54 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Sorry, I thought the GEC was standard for all degrees.  This school is somewhat confusing. This is what I use to try to figure out the degrees, if I should use a different one, let me know.  Usually schools are fairly consistent in their GE requirements, no matter your degree; and if they require additional courses, they put it directly on the website for students to see.  http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?cato...curriculum

I did not see that a 3rd English course was required, nor an Ethics course, I did say a studio art was still required (I referred to it as hands-on art), I don't think another physical science is required since he has Oceanography.

But I do think that if the OP wants to go to UMPI, I would suggest just applying and starting, rather than taking any additional courses - he has enough credits to bring in and cover almost everything.  The only reason to take additional courses through an alt-credit provider is if he chooses one of the Big 3.

The GEC is the same for everyone.

Everyone needs these 3 English classes:
  • ENG 100 - Introduction to College Reading & Writing 4 creditsENG 101 - College Composition 3 creditsENG 121 - College Composition II 3 credits
Everyone is required to take an ethics course:
4. Information Literacy
Learning Objectives C

Students will compare and contrast information in order to analyze, synthesize, and create new knowledge.
The Oceanography course is 3 credits. The physical science requirement is a 4 credit lab science course. There are 3 different Learning Objectives which cover sciences. One is all about biology. One is physical science about the earth. One is about the scientific method. This requires a lab science. 

(02-27-2021, 10:16 AM)ddopesxp Wrote: I appreciate the time and effort everyone has put towards helping me figuring out my degree plan. Thank you for all the options and advice as well I will sign up for Sophia.org and UMPI to knock out some of my UL courses and complete the remaining of the courses with EC.

UMPI is a university. It's not anything like Sophia. You have to apply and be accepted. You don't select your courses. Your academic advisor tells you what courses you need to complete your degree and the order you take them in. You plan of Sophia then UMPI then EC won't work. If you attend UMPI, you go with the plan to complete your degree there. They don't offer every course EC requires either. UMPI only offers online courses for their degree programs. 
(02-27-2021, 02:13 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The GEC is the same for everyone.

• ENG 100 - Introduction to College Reading & Writing 4 creditsENG 101 - College Composition 3 creditsENG 121 - College Composition II 3 credits
4. Information Literacy
Learning Objectives C

Students will compare and contrast information in order to analyze, synthesize, and create new knowledge.
The Oceanography course is 3 credits. The physical science requirement is a 4 credit lab science course. There are 3 different Learning Objectives which cover sciences. One is all about biology. One is physical science about the earth. One is about the scientific method. This requires a lab science. 

Can you please explain this some more?  I am still confused. I thought you had to meet each learning objective in each area, and you did this by choosing a SINGLE course in each area? So for the OP, here's what would work in each area:

1A - Intro to Comp or College Comp I (done)
1B - College Comp II (done)
1C - Org Comm, Business Comm or Am Govt (done)
1D - Intro to Comp or College Comp I (done) (dup, meets but no credit)

2A - Econ, Philosophy, Ethics, or Psych (done)
2B - Econ, Philosophy, Ethics, Psych, or Soc (done) (dup, meets but no credit)
2C - College Comp II (done) (dup, meets but no credit)
2D - a hands-on art course
2E - an art/lit appreciation course (Exploring Art/Visual Culture-done)

3A - math or Physics Precalculus I (done)
3B - math or Physics Precalculus I (done, duplicate)
3C - a bio science - BSC-1005: Biological Science (done)
3D - a physical science [b]OCE-1001: Intro/Oceanography  (done)[/b]
3E - a lab for either bio or physical science [b]BIO-160IN: Intro Human Anatomy & Phys (done)[/b]
[b] - Biology & A&P are both listed as ones that will count here, and the OP took A&P w/lab[/b]

4A - waived if you transfer in more than 12cr (WAIVED)
4B - College Comp II (done)
4C - Philosophy or Ethics (done)
[b]- OP took Philosophy, doesn't this meet the requirement?[/b]

5A - Anth, Religion, Geography, Sociology, Multicultural, Worldviews, Women's Studies (done)
5B - World Civ, US History, Zombies in American Popular Culture - (done - took Westenr Civ)
5C - a foreign language (done - took Spanish)
5D - Philosophy, Political Thought or Ethics (done)
5E - Am Govt, Political Thought, or Constitutional Law (done)

I can't figure out where you have to take 3 writing courses, or Ethics, or specifically a Physical Science lab. But maybe I'm not understanding the requirements that I think I'm reading here.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-27-2021, 09:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 02:13 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The GEC is the same for everyone.

4. Information Literacy
Learning Objectives C

Can you please explain this some more?  I am still confused. I thought you had to meet each learning objective in each area, and you did this by choosing a SINGLE course in each area? So for the OP, here's what would work in each area:

1A - Intro to Comp or College Comp I (done)

3E - a lab for either bio or physical science [b]BIO-160IN: Intro Human Anatomy & Phys (done)[/b]
[b] - Biology & A&P are both listed as ones that will count here, and the OP took A&P w/lab[/b]

5A - Anth, Religion, Geography, Sociology, Multicultural, Worldviews, Women's Studies (done)
5B - World Civ, US History, Zombies in American Popular Culture - (done - took Westenr Civ)

I can't figure out where you have to take 3 writing courses, or Ethics, or specifically a Physical Science lab. But maybe I'm not understanding the requirements that I think I'm reading here.

If you were a student at UMPI, you'd understand. I attend there and am VERY familiar with the GEC. We have to meet their requirements. They require 3 English courses not 3 writing courses. I already listed them for you. You're assuming several of the courses are going to transfer and I do not believe they will based on my experience. The art/lit has not been met based on what UMPI accepts and lists as acceptable courses. The GEC requires a MINIMUM of 40 credits so when courses are used for more than one Learning Objective you have to watch the credit count. Actually 4A is NOT waived for YourPace students. We take a 0 credit orientation that fills this requirement. 3E REQUIRES a 4 credit lab science from the list. Then again you think you know everything. There's also the general electives which need to be fulfilled. 
(02-27-2021, 10:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 09:51 PM)dfrecore Wrote: 1A - Intro to Comp or College Comp I (done)

If you were a student at UMPI, you'd understand. I attend there and am VERY familiar with the GEC. We have to meet their requirements. They require 3 English courses not 3 writing courses. I already listed them for you. You're assuming several of the courses are going to transfer and I do not believe they will based on my experience. The art/lit has not been met based on what UMPI accepts and lists as acceptable courses. The GEC requires a MINIMUM of 40 credits so when courses are used for more than one Learning Objective you have to watch the credit count. Actually 4A is NOT waived for YourPace students. We take a 0 credit orientation that fills this requirement. 3E REQUIRES a 4 credit lab science from the list. Then again you think you know everything. There's also the general electives which need to be fulfilled. 

I'm not a student, and that's why I was asking you.  All I'm asking is for help understanding. I am sitting here saying I don't know something, and asking for your help in finding the info, and you come back with "you think you know everything." I AM SAYING I DON'T.

- You said they require 3 English courses, but I don't see where that's listed. All I'm asking is where they list those.

- You say that 3E requires a 4cr lab science from the list (and you originally said it HAD to be a physical science w/lab) - and it lists Biology for Everyday Life, General Biology I, General Biology II, and Human A&P I as options - and the OP took a 4cr A&P I course. I don't know how this won't work?

- You said that the GEC is the same for everyone, and then you say that YourPace students don't get the waiver for the 4A, when it specifically says you only have to take those when you bring in less than 12cr. I'm trying to find out if the GEC requirements listed in the link are the ones that are required for YourPace students or not.

- when I look at what the OP took, he will have more than 41cr in the GEC, I did take that into account.

I'm not sure why you're taking offense when I'm asking you for clarification.  I'm trying to understand a degree at a school I'm not familiar with, and you jump on my case.  When I said in a different post that I would defer to you on UMPI, because you were the expert, you said that you weren't an expert, just that you were a student.  Then, when I ask for help in understanding the requirements there, you say that I think I know everything, and that I should defer to you because you are a student there an understand what they require.

I do not get you at all.
Enrolled UMPI students receive a written degree evaluation. On this is the GEC requirements. That's where you'll see more in detail such as the 3 English courses. The A&P course said it was II not I on the transcript when I looked at it. You seem very confused by the science requirements.

The GEC is for EVERYONE. The only difference is the orientation course.

You argue with me frequently about UMPI's requirements. You have repeatedly said it takes 2 semesters of a foreign language and it doesn't. Only 1 degree requires 2 semesters of a foreign language and that's a major requirement not the GEC. You claim I'm an expert and I have never said that I was. I just have the documentation from UMPi and discuss UMPi with potential and active students on a daily basis. 
(02-27-2021, 11:56 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Enrolled UMPI students receive a written degree evaluation. On this is the GEC requirements. That's where you'll see more in detail such as the 3 English courses. The A&P course said it was II not I on the transcript when I looked at it. You seem very confused by the science requirements.

The GEC is for EVERYONE. The only difference is the orientation course.

You argue with me frequently about UMPI's requirements. You have repeatedly said it takes 2 semesters of a foreign language and it doesn't. Only 1 degree requires 2 semesters of a foreign language and that's a major requirement not the GEC. You claim I'm an expert and I have never said that I was. I just have the documentation from UMPi and discuss UMPi with potential and active students on a daily basis. 

So what you're saying is, you can't look at the website which lists the GEC to find all of the requirements?  Because if I tell you I'm looking at the website, and it doesn't say that you're required to have 3 writing classes, and then you tell me that that particular info is only on the degree evaluation, I find it strange that you're angry with ME because I am trying to figure out a degree and the school isn't listing all of the requirements where they should.

As for the science, I'm not confused by what they have posted as much as by what you've stated: first you stated that the lab requirement could ONLY be done by a physical science lab course; then when I point out that they list multiple biological science lab courses which will work for the requirement, you ignore your first statement and say that the OP's A&P II course won't work, when I specifically asked about his A&P I course, which he listed for everyone to see; then you say that I am confused by the science requirements, when I don't think I am, I'm confused by YOUR statements about their requirements.

I made a mistake about the 2 semesters of foreign language, I don't think I need to be burned at the stake about that, it's a simple mistake and caused zero harm to anyone.  There's absolutely nobody who will suffer any terrible fate if I made a mistake and said they could take a 2nd semester of a foreign language at UMPI if they need to.

You said that Ethics is required by everyone, and then put where you think that's the case - and it shows that you can choose Ethics or Philosophy.  I point out that the OP took Philosophy.  You conveniently ignore that in your response.  You could have said you made a mistake (like I just did in a prior paragraph), but instead you attack me and if I ask for clarification, you ignore your own mistake.  I guess you're the only one that can make them.

You said that the GEC is the same for everyone, but then when I apply the rules to everyone, you say EXCEPT YourPace students, who don't get a waiver - as if I am purposely doing something wrong, instead of just going by what I've read here and on UMPI's website.

All anyone wants is some info, and maybe a simple explanation of why a course won't work if they think it might.  Again, you say that I think I'm always right, but when I ask questions (thereby admitting I don't think I'm always right), I get attacked.  I don't get what you want.  Am I allowed to ask questions, or not?  Is it ok for my to try to learn about a new degree, or do I have to only stick with specific ones I already know, and you're now in charge of this school?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 86 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 165 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 147 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 86 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,763 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 213 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,562 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 127 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 216 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 630 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32