Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any feedback about Sophia courses?
Sophia offers 2 courses (each worth 1 credit) that you can take for free. It's a great way to decide for yourself if you like their platform.
My kids have all done the freebies, and one of my son has taken 2 of their full courses (Intro. Business and Art History) - enjoyed both very much, but I will say that in our case we had free course coupons for them. I won't pay $100 per credit for ACE credit, but that's just my opinion. They do have coupons, we had one in Feb (3 courses for the price of 1) which was a great deal.
For those that have taken the courses what has been your experience in the best way to clear the challenge questions and the Milestones?  Do you watch the video lessons first or download the PDF tutorial and just read through that before going to the challenge questions or do you go straight to the challenge questions and then go to the lesson tutorial associated with that question first and then go back to answer the questions?  I think the challenge questions are also on the milestones as well.  Just have not found a groove with it yet.
Thanks.
(04-06-2019, 07:10 PM)Tekky Wrote: For those that have taken the courses what has been your experience in the best way to clear the challenge questions and the Milestones?  Do you watch the video lessons first or download the PDF tutorial and just read through that before going to the challenge questions or do you go straight to the challenge questions and then go to the lesson tutorial associated with that question first and then go back to answer the questions?  I think the challenge questions are also on the milestones as well.  Just have not found a groove with it yet.
Thanks.

I think I've taken more Sophia courses than anyone currently active on this message board to my knowledge. I'm on my 16th course right now and will begin #17 soon. 

Aside from stating the obvious disclaimer, which is everyone's learning style varies, here is my personal approach to Sophia courses thus far:

At the beginning try a few different instructors by watching different video lessons. If you find an instructor you like then continue watching that person's videos. After the video go to the "Sophia Tutorial" which is just a text only version that instructors base their lessons on. Review the key terms by reading them a few times and skim the text quickly as a quick review. If the 3 question "Practice Quiz" is available then take it. 

Along the way copy and paste everything to one Word document. This makes searching later easier as everything is in one spot. You are not breaking any rules to my knowledge as everything is "open book".

Now, you are ready for the challenge questions. You get 3 chances for each question and there are typically 10 total. If you can't get it right in 3 chances then it counts against your grade. If you miss more than 2 then in my opinion you are in trouble and you need to slow down and review further. You will also need to take the Practice Exam before taking the Milestone if you keep getting the wrong answers on Challenge Questions. Again, you should be getting 8 out of 10 or better here. If you are getting 8 out of 10 correct then you can skip taking the Practice Exam. 

Going straight to the Challenge Questions and trying to find the answers as you are taking it can be done in the name of saving time but, I think it is too risky and I don't do it. I am finishing all of my courses with grades typically at 88 and above. I have multiple 90s and 95s. It is possible to speed up if you already have a good grade essentially "locked in" but I am not doing that.

You are now ready for the Milestone assuming you got 80% or better of the Challenge Questions correct. If your score on the Challenge Questions is lower than that then you need to review. Review by reading the Sophia Tutorials, take the Practice Exams, review Challenge Questions, watch other instructors as well as seeking information for other sources online (I only had to do this a few times).

There is a Final Exam. It is based only on questions you have gotten correct from previous Milestones. 50% is the passing score and it does not count towards your overall grade. This is not as stressful as the Milestones and only requires minimal (optional) review before the exam.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
[-] The following 4 users Like AwardTour's post:
  • acamp, alab21, Oulton1, suzycupcake
(04-05-2019, 08:54 AM)TexasTink Wrote: Overall, I really liked Sophia. Their customer service is excellent. I enjoyed the courses I took from them. The courses are easy to use and very intuitive. I liked the format of the courses - though sometimes I wished they had a few more quizzes so I could be sure I was grasping all the concepts. For the courses that had multiple teachers, it was nice to be able to view them and then pick the one that jives with your learning style best. I hated their proctoring service, though it seems to be changing over to something nicer now. I only took 3 classes through them because they’re so much more expensive than other providers. Even with the half off I got on their courses, it’s a good chunk more per course than almost everyone else. They’re good quality courses though and I enjoyed the platform overall.

Awww, thank you TexasTink and HarryPotter!  We love hearing from our learners.

For those attending/planning to attend Excelsior or TESU, these 3-day promos should help with cost.  Expires midnight April 11, but you can select your start date well into July if you like!

Get 3 courses for $297! 
TESUTHREE (http://www.tesu.sophia.org)
EXCELSIORTHREE (http://www.excelsior.sophiaorg)

Happy Learning!

The Sophia Team
[-] The following 1 user Likes SophiaGenEd's post:
  • scorpion
Starting the Public Speaking course today. Appears to have more work involved than other Sophia.org courses given there are 4 "touchstones" required after each module (there are 4). The touchstones appear to require videos to be submitted, based on the module's focus.

Looks to be interesting and doable, just a little more time involved than others.

Will let you know what I think when I've completed the course.
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
[-] The following 2 users Like CarpeDiem8's post:
  • hsfamfun, Oulton1
(05-14-2019, 03:20 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Starting the Public Speaking course today. Appears to have more work involved than other Sophia.org courses given there are 4 "touchstones" required after each module (there are 4). The touchstones appear to require videos to be submitted, based on the module's focus.

Looks to be interesting and doable, just a little more time involved than others.

Will let you know what I think when I've completed the course.

Thanks for this - I'm very interested in hearing about this course from Sophia.
(04-04-2019, 07:37 PM)TonyaBay Wrote: Overall they seem a bit more "put together" but they're expensive. Anyone have any feedback on them, particularly public speaking?

i took a couple from sophia and i did not think they were better than study.com, especially for the price. I guess if you have a coupon it would be better price wise. i did public speaking thru straighterline and it was super easy and quick. a couple easy speeches, basically just like you would do for high school speech. if you have ever had a job interview you will find it easy to pass! they just have you record yourself and upload to a private channel on youtube, then after the video is graded you can delete it. no one can see the video unless they have the link.
I agree, basically, my personal favorite are the Sophia.org, StraighterLine, Study.com triple combo!
Of course the freebies are good too... and the cheap courses from ALEKS, TEEX, and so on...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-15-2019, 06:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I agree, basically, my personal favorite are the Sophia.org, StraighterLine, Study.com triple combo!  
Of course the freebies are good too... and the cheap courses from ALEKS, TEEX, and so on...

** New $49 course from Sophia:  STUDENT SUCCESS.  Transfers to TESU as FEL-101 Orientation (1 cr.).

Also, TESUHALF promo running today (May 17) through midnight Sunday (May 19).  
50% off all Sophia courses!  No minimum purchase required.

(This makes Student Success only $24.50.)

Enjoy!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SophiaGenEd's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
(05-17-2019, 11:46 AM)SophiaGenEd Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 06:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I agree, basically, my personal favorite are the Sophia.org, StraighterLine, Study.com triple combo!  

** New $49 course from Sophia:  STUDENT SUCCESS.  Transfers to TESU as FEL-101 Orientation (1 cr.).

Also, TESUHALF promo running today (May 17) through midnight Sunday (May 19).  
50% off all Sophia courses!  No minimum purchase required.

(This makes Student Success only $24.50.)

Enjoy!

I'm a COSC student, and that promo code didn't work for me.  Can I assume it only works for TESU?
American Literature | CLEP | 70
Introduction to Business Law | CLEP | 70
Information Systems | CLEP | 74
Principles of Marketing | CLEP | 78
Principles of Management | CLEP | 72
Principles of Microeconomics | CLEP | 67
Business Ethics & Society | DSST | 465
Human Resource Management | DSST | 467

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,195 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,609 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,862 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 603 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet