Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any other History majors out there?
anar579 Wrote:Rob, do you happen to have the School of Liberal Arts catalog??? I know Excelsior had it on their publications page a while back... I know this because they DID NOT have the Business catalog, which is what I needed. Now the situation is reversed. It would be really helpful to those folks pursuing a degree in the liberal arts who want to fulfill as many requirements as possible before actually enrolling. Unfortunately the "Guidelines for a major in XYZ" guides list requirements, but aren't specific about what exams will fulfill them.

Hi Ana,

Lots of "Robs" on this board. But I assume you are asking me. Forgive me if not.

I have both the Liberal Arts catalog and the Guide to Credit By Assessment catalog. Do you want me to send them to you?
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:Hi Ana,

Lots of "Robs" on this board. But I assume you are asking me. Forgive me if not.

I have both the Liberal Arts catalog and the Guide to Credit By Assessment catalog. Do you want me to send them to you?

Are they in electronic form? Could you email them to me at my username here //at sign// gmail.com if so? That'd be great if you could.

Thanks!
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
anar579 Wrote:Sirjake,
I sent you an e-mail.

Thanks! I found that helpful. I called Excelsior and requested the liberal arts catalog.

anar579 Wrote:Unfortunately the "Guidelines for a major in XYZ" guides list requirements, but aren't specific about what exams will fulfill them.

Yes, that's exactly the issue I'm facing. I've seen that history guideline on their publications downloads page, but it doesn't let me know what they consider each examination to be. At TESC, they have a section of their catalog that lists what each DSST or CLEP will be listed as (I.e., biology CLEP is BIO 101 and BIO 102), which helped me know which CLEPs and Dantes would fulfill which requirements for my degree. I haven't seen anything like that at Excelsior.
sirjake Wrote:Are they in electronic form? Could you email them to me at sirjake //at sign// gmail.com if so? That'd be great if you could.

Thanks!

Sending now....watch your inbox.
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
Thanks! Just got it!
sirjake Wrote:Thanks! Just got it!

You're welcome!

Trying to find information with Excelsior is like pulling teeth. Their web site is like a labyrinth, and they do not explain specific details very well (such as where each exam fits into any given degree plan).

I don't have many complaints about Excelsior...but their lack of detailed information is one of them.

I wish you well,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
OK, that was somewhat helpful, but I'm still not sure of my path.

As near as I can tell, I'll need 15 upper level history credits for the bachelor of arts degree. Correct? Excelsior counts all CLEPs as lower level, so none of those will help me. And my only history DSST is a lower level as well (Modern Middle East). It appears that there are two DSSTs that will be upper level (Civil War and Reconstruction and Rise and Fall of USSR), but what about the other three upper level requirements? What are you guys doing? College courses? The two ECE's?

Also, the guideline says that you need six intermediate and upper level courses. What are intermediate courses? I see no listing of those in the student guide and assessment catalog.

I'm really sorry to be a pain about this. I'm just trying to figure out what is required so that I don't march off half-cocked.
sirjake Wrote:OK, that was somewhat helpful, but I'm still not sure of my path.

As near as I can tell, I'll need 15 upper level history credits for the bachelor of arts degree. Correct? Excelsior counts all CLEPs as lower level, so none of those will help me. And my only history DSST is a lower level as well (Modern Middle East). It appears that there are two DSSTs that will be upper level (Civil War and Reconstruction and Rise and Fall of USSR), but what about the other three upper level requirements? What are you guys doing? College courses? The two ECE's?

Also, the guideline says that you need six intermediate and upper level courses. What are intermediate courses? I see no listing of those in the student guide and assessment catalog.

I'm really sorry to be a pain about this. I'm just trying to figure out what is required so that I don't march off half-cocked.

SirJake,

I'm not a history major so I can't help you too much. But the History of Nazi Germany ECE is also an UL history exam.

As far as I can tell, it is not possible to complete a history major at Excelsior purely by DANTES/CLEP/ECE. You would probably need to take four or five upper level COURSES.

Core Requirements:
CLEP US History I (or II)
CLEP Western Civ I PLUS CLEP Western Civ II
Historiography or similar course

Intermediate & Upper Level Requirements:
(18 credits minimum = 6 different exams/courses)

DANTES Civil War & Reconstruction (US History UL)
--
DANTES Soviet Union (European History UL)
ECE Nazi Germany (European History UL)
--
At least one non-Western World History UL Course
--
Plus two more UL courses that fit into any of the three UL categories.
-------------
Four history COURSES required if you take Nazi Germany. Five if you don't.

I think "intermediate" refers to 200 or 300 level courses. DANTES Vietnam War, Modern Middle East, and Contemporary Western Europe may well be counted as "intermediate" by Excelsior. You would need to check!

The above is just my own take on things.
Take it for what it's worth,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:Hi Ana,

Yes I was asking you! Maybe I should call you Snazzle Rob. hilarious

Would you be a dear and e-mail them to me? My e-mail is anar579@msn.com.

Thanks!
[SIZE="1"]Ana
[COLOR="DarkRed"]96 credits completed (93 by exam)
BS in General Business, Excelsior College (33 credits remaining)
Next exams: DSST Statistics, DSST Business Law 2
Recently taken: DSST Drug/Alcohol (61), CLEP French (63), ECE Gerontology (B Sad), DSST MIS (65), DSST Counseling (54), DSST Ethics (63)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
anar579 Wrote:Yes I was asking you! Maybe I should call you Snazzle Rob. hilarious

Would you be a dear and e-mail them to me? My e-mail is anar579@msn.com.

Thanks!

Hi Ana,

I am mailing the two pdf files to you right now.

All the best,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 560 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  History of Degree Awarding Tomes MichaelGates 2 497 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM
  Legacy Admissions with Anti-Semitic History Challenged sanantone 2 495 07-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Double Majors in College: What to Know LevelUP 0 417 06-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 458 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 13 2,361 03-07-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Ypsiterroir
  Top 10 most-regretted majors and the degrees graduates wish they had pursued instead EDUxplorer 1 563 11-26-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
  College majors (again) and career training... bjcheung77 2 559 11-13-2022, 10:44 AM
Last Post: LevelUP