Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any other aspiring (or certified) real estate appraisers on the forum?
I'm pursuing a BSBA in General Management, and plan to enroll and graduate from TESU. The impetus for finally pursuing my degree was the fact that a bachelor's degree is now required for certification as a real estate appraiser. Long story short, I sold real estate for 10 years, and got sick of dealing heavily with the public. My analytical and introverted nature are much better suited to the appraisal profession than to real estate sales. I wanted to be able to build from my existing knowledge base, and found appraisal to be a good all-around fit. I am currently working as a Licensed Appraiser Trainee, and will be eligible to apply for certification in June 2017.

By now, you might be wondering how this relates to DegreeForum. The reason for my post is this; I intend to transfer 117 credits from CLEP, Straighterline, and Study.com toward my degree, then either take or TECEP the capstone to finish it off. I'm a little nervous about the reaction of the state board to my transcripts, given that, from my understanding, the only grade reflected in the transcripts will be the SM capstone.

Has anyone else been through this process? (I'm open to hearing about any remotely similar experience regarding submission of transcripts with minimal actual grades to state licensing or similar entities.)

I have not found any information to indicate that the means by which I'm obtaining my degree would have any bearing on its admissibility. Still, having heard horror stories about the (unrelated) hoops some people have had to jump through, I thought I would see if anyone on the forum might have any experience to share.

Thanks!
I was considering going that route I've done sales full time for 4 years and I'm working on my brokers license while simultaneously working in Accounting but I was thinking about going the appraiser route. How do you like it?
And, if you take the TECEP, that's not graded either. You could conceivably have an entire degree with not a single grade.

You can always take some graded courses through your local CC or one on here that's inexpensive.

I would check your state licensing laws to see what the required GPA is. If there isn't one, and they're just open to a degree, no minimum GPA required, then you should be fine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dexter1326 Wrote:I'm pursuing a BSBA in General Management, and plan to enroll and graduate from TESU. The impetus for finally pursuing my degree was the fact that a bachelor's degree is now required for certification as a real estate appraiser. Long story short, I sold real estate for 10 years, and got sick of dealing heavily with the public. My analytical and introverted nature are much better suited to the appraisal profession than to real estate sales. I wanted to be able to build from my existing knowledge base, and found appraisal to be a good all-around fit. I am currently working as a Licensed Appraiser Trainee, and will be eligible to apply for certification in June 2017.

By now, you might be wondering how this relates to DegreeForum. The reason for my post is this; I intend to transfer 117 credits from CLEP, Straighterline, and Study.com toward my degree, then either take or TECEP the capstone to finish it off. I'm a little nervous about the reaction of the state board to my transcripts, given that, from my understanding, the only grade reflected in the transcripts will be the SM capstone.

Has anyone else been through this process? (I'm open to hearing about any remotely similar experience regarding submission of transcripts with minimal actual grades to state licensing or similar entities.)

I have not found any information to indicate that the means by which I'm obtaining my degree would have any bearing on its admissibility. Still, having heard horror stories about the (unrelated) hoops some people have had to jump through, I thought I would see if anyone on the forum might have any experience to share.

Thanks!

Is that all states? My son has that on his "to do list" within the next few years, North Carolina doesn't look like it has adopted that requirement.The North Carolina Appraisal Board welcomes you to its Web site

Criteria for each level: The North Carolina Appraisal Board welcomes you to its Web site
cookderosa Wrote:Is that all states? My son has that on his "to do list" within the next few years, North Carolina doesn't look like it has adopted that requirement.The North Carolina Appraisal Board welcomes you to its Web site

Criteria for each level: The North Carolina Appraisal Board welcomes you to its Web site

It's not a requirement here in CA. 30 college credits (says nothing about grades or that it has to be from a college, so I would think ACE would work) or an AA/AS in any field for the lowest level (up to $1M in value); BA/BS in any field to upgrade to a higher level once you've worked 2,500hrs/2.5 years as an appraiser.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My understanding is that Certified Residential Appraisers and Certified General Appraisers are required to hold a bachelor's degree (in any subject) in all 50 states at this point. I'm in PA, where there are only 3 levels recognized: Licensed Appraiser Trainee, Cert. Res., and Cert. Gen. The change was put into effect January 1, 2015, by the Appraisal Qualifications Board (AQB). Some states recognize a status between LAT and CR: Licensed Residential Appraiser. Since that option is not available in PA, my knowledge of it is limited, however, I understand it to be fairly limiting.

Meanwhile, the AQB has been floating an exposure draft which would alleviate the BD requirement for Cert. Res., but since I'm pursuing Cert. Gen., I will still need the degree. That's okay with me; the requirement finally got me off my duff. 39 credits to go!
I know this is an old post but I have a similar question... anyone here on the forum have any experience with Appraisal education? I finished off my BA in 2017, an MTS in 2018, and am now working on appraisal trainee licensing coursework. Right now I'm using McKissock and the first course I'm taking is very similar to a study.com course. I'm just interested to hear from anyone in the profession who went into it with a TESU degree, any experience with the coursework/exams, etc.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Almost no one pays college sticker prices. Colleges are getting real about tution. LevelUP 0 358 10-06-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why Divergent Thinkers Beat Geniuses in the Real World LevelUP 1 417 01-20-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Wow! An Estate Gift! bjcheung77 3 614 11-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Credit Providers that uses real textbooks? msa145 4 1,031 04-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  New to the forum, couple questions. ARhead 29 4,474 03-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: ARhead
  Forum Users - How would you go about this? bjcheung77 7 2,192 11-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  Newbies - PLEASE post your questions on the forum dfrecore 9 3,287 02-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Moved to correct forum Kelly Green 0 719 09-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  General Forum question vs. PM'ing someone dfrecore 14 2,358 08-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Specific Feedback Forum Question acamp 4 1,315 07-26-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: acamp