Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody else like IKEA furniture
I have noticed a trend at Walmart. Items are now being designed to optimize shipping weight and bulk, not usability and design. Walmart is very cost conscious and I think Ikea is too. This is why the "minimalist" look is being pushed by these mega corporate retailers. Not that its a problem, but we should be aware of it. Old fashioned wood construction takes up a lot more room in shipping containers and on the shelves. You'll see Walmart "clearance" items of considerable bulk in favor of a lesser item of smaller stature. I saw it happen in the fitness section with a bunch of different items.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
taylor Wrote:I bought a Sanfrid table with intentions of using it as a desk in the living room but I returned it, way too wobbly. SANFRID/SJUNNE Table - IKEA

Wow! I don't blame you for taking it back! For almost $200, the table shouldn't wobble for 100 years! I have an IKEA desk built from two wooden trestles and a top and it cost me a total of maybe $70. Granted, that was in 1993, but it hasn't wobbled since. It had better not! That's where my computer and printer live!

Johann
ryoder Wrote:You'll see Walmart "clearance" items of considerable bulk in favor of a lesser item of smaller stature. I saw it happen in the fitness section with a bunch of different items.
Maybe it's partly because some customers have complained they couldn't lift the old stock. Smile From what I read, Ryoder, you have great strength and can lift anything! Smile

And it seems Walmart employees don't like lifting stuff, either. I bought a workbench there for my son's birthday a couple of weeks ago. Flat-packed, it weighed maybe 90-100 pounds and I was having a bit of a time shifting it onto a hand-truck I'd brought to the store. (I gave my last car away umpty years ago and I live only about a mile and a half from the store. Hand-truck was the easiest way to get it home.)

I think all the sales "associates" or whatever fled to the other end of the store when they saw me pull the box off the pile. Not one in sight. A customer offered to help me, though... Walmart merchandise is often several grades better than its service Sad ...but not always.

Johann