Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody use AP biology books to study for the biology CLEP?
Someone suggested I use something like Cliffs AP Biology to study for the Biology CLEP. Their reasoning was that the AP was harder and if I was ready for it, then I would easily pass the CLEP.

I have noticed that some of the various AP Biology books have a lot higher reviews on Amazon than the Biology CLEP books.

My biggest concern is that the AP books will cover material that I don't need for the CLEP and that I will waste my time studying things I don't need. Similarly, I also wonder if the AP book will not cover specific topics that are on the CLEP exam.

Thoughts?
yankee_racers Wrote:Someone suggested I use something like Cliffs AP Biology to study for the Biology CLEP. Their reasoning was that the AP was harder and if I was ready for it, then I would easily pass the CLEP.

I have noticed that some of the various AP Biology books have a lot higher reviews on Amazon than the Biology CLEP books.

My biggest concern is that the AP books will cover material that I don't need for the CLEP and that I will waste my time studying things I don't need. Similarly, I also wonder if the AP book will not cover specific topics that are on the CLEP exam.

Thoughts?
>>

My first thought re: Amazon, I'd guess more people take AP biology than CLEP biology.

Get the Official CLEP guide. It has every exam broken down by % of information. If (for example- i don't know) it says 35% plant life science, then you can go side by side with the AP book and see if it's a good fit. That, in my opinion, you should do anyway. Don't assume that because it's a CLEP biology book- that it has the correct ratio of information. (there are lots of bad books)

I didn't take AP biology, but it "might" require an essay or short answers, as is common with AP exams- that may account for the "harder" sentiment. Strictly speaking, it's the same material- 2 semesters of introductory college biology.

You can't go wrong with the REA Biology book (CLEP or AP).
I can highly recommend the Cliff's AP Biology text as preparatory material for the CLEP Biology test. I studied for 6 days using the REA CLEP Bio book briefly (not nearly enough info to have actually done well on the test, and therefore not worth the money, IMO) and the Cliff's AP Bio book (covered everything on the test) and got a 74 on the test. There's not 'extra' info in the Cliff's AP, just enough info on the correct subject matter with enough depth of detail to allow the actual CLEP test-taking experience to be moderately fun, rather than stressful. A 'pass may be a pass', but going into the test with confidence in one's level of knowledge is definitely better for one's blood pressure! Wink
[SIZE="1"]
TESC, BA Psychology (Done, Graduation June 2009)
TESC, BSBA/Gen Mgmt. (In Progress)

CLEP: Freshman Col Comp 77| Info Systems & Apps 74| Intro to Psych 79| A. & I. Literature 79| Principles of Marketing 76| Human Growth & Dev. 74| Intro to Ed. Psych 74| Biology 74| Sociology 77| Natural Sciences 69| English Comp w/ Essay 59| Macroeconomics 70| Microeconomics 69
DSST: Mgmt. Info Systems 466| Environment & Humanity 71| Organizational Behavior 73| Astronomy 72| Technical Writing 65| General Anthropology 73| Human/Cultural Geography 70| Physical Geology 58| Fundamentals of Counseling 74| Ethics in America 467
ALEKS: Business Statistics| Intro to Statistics| Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
TECEP: Behavior Mod. Techniques| Psych of Personality| Experimental Psych| Social Psych| Psych of Women | Abnormal Psych
12 Asstd. FEMAs

Current/Up Next:
DSSTs Substance Abuse, Prin. of Supervision & Human Res. Mgmt.
ALEKS PreCalculus
[/SIZE]
lwmcc Wrote:I can highly recommend the Cliff's AP Biology text as preparatory material for the CLEP Biology test. I studied for 6 days using the REA CLEP Bio book briefly (not nearly enough info to have actually done well on the test, and therefore not worth the money, IMO) and the Cliff's AP Bio book (covered everything on the test) and got a 74 on the test. There's not 'extra' info in the Cliff's AP, just enough info on the correct subject matter with enough depth of detail to allow the actual CLEP test-taking experience to be moderately fun, rather than stressful. A 'pass may be a pass', but going into the test with confidence in one's level of knowledge is definitely better for one's blood pressure! Wink

Thanks,
I have my clep test tomorrow for bio and am primarily using the cliffs notes ap text. this gives me more confidence, although the amount of information is truly staggering. Kind of wish I had started earlier :/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 11,896 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU 2nd Area of Study mysonx3 20 4,187 08-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ASNSM Biology shadowgem 6 1,681 08-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,793 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Western Civilization I & II CLEP Banker214 4 1,569 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  TESU Study.com partnership only eligible for 21 years of age+ Murdockb 6 2,225 07-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Murdockb
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,615 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  What will fit: TESU BALS - Study.com Gen Ed (Down to the wire!) Cheeseburrito 3 1,558 06-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: dfrecore