Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone done Coopersmith UL psych courses?
A friend is finishing up his UL requirements at TESU and is interested in the following Coopersmith psych courses:

Coopersmith PSY-305: Drugs Society and Human Beh (TESU PSY-338)         
Coopersmith PSY-302: Abnormal Psych (TESU PSY-350)            
Coopersmith PSY-306: Family Therapy (TESU PSY-348)
Coopersmith PSY-320 Substance Abuse Counseling (TESU PSY-320)

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of any of these in terms of how long to expect to study? Could one complete them as quickly as, say, a typical Sophia or SDC course?  Do any have anything other than the one exam?

Two other unrelated questions:

- Thoughts on a fast, easy, cheap 1 credit class (having exhausted the Sophia ones)? Maybe TEEX something?
- Anyone know what the "COU" prefix is for courses at TESU?  They said that Coopersmith PSY-307 comes in as COU-327, but I could find no reference to a course by that number in TESU's catalog.

Thanks very much!
Coopersmith courses are very short. They are just an exam, no assignments. The exam (at least for PSY courses) typically has a handful of short "essay" questions. They're only looking for 2-5 sentences that hit the right keywords to show you know what you're talking about. I would guess that study takes about as long as for an SDC course, minus the time it takes to write assignments.

The free TEEX courses seem to be hitting their end-of-life. Go ahead and try, by all means. If they're not working, then ASU has a 1-credit "tech support" class for $25, self-paced.

I suspect that COU is counseling. But that one is a free elective, not an UL AOS elective: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...Consulting
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-29-2021, 01:05 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: A friend is finishing up his UL requirements at TESU and is interested in the following Coopersmith psych courses:

Coopersmith PSY-305: Drugs Society and Human Beh (TESU PSY-338)         
Coopersmith PSY-302: Abnormal Psych (TESU PSY-350)            
Coopersmith PSY-306: Family Therapy (TESU PSY-348)
Coopersmith PSY-320 Substance Abuse Counseling (TESU PSY-320)

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of any of these in terms of how long to expect to study? Could one complete them as quickly as, say, a typical Sophia or SDC course?  Do any have anything other than the one exam?

Two other unrelated questions:

- Thoughts on a fast, easy, cheap 1 credit class (having exhausted the Sophia ones)? Maybe TEEX something?
- Anyone know what the "COU" prefix is for courses at TESU?  They said that Coopersmith PSY-307 comes in as COU-327, but I could find no reference to a course by that number in TESU's catalog.

Thanks very much!

I took all of those Coopersmith courses and enjoyed them.  For some I purchased the textbook, but for most I just hit the PPT decks hard.  They're concise and targeted.

Rachel's assessment is right on the money.  For what it's worth, PSY-305 was 30 multiple choice and "8 short answer" questions, and PSY-306 was 40/8.  Off the top of my head, I can't recall the breakdown for the other two, but take note that PSY-312 Theraputic Interviewing is 100/0, and PSY-310 Stress Managment is 50/0.
(11-01-2021, 03:44 PM)ctcarl Wrote: I took all of those Coopersmith courses and enjoyed them.  For some I purchased the textbook, but for most I just hit the PPT decks hard.  They're concise and targeted.

Rachel's assessment is right on the money.  For what it's worth, PSY-305 was 30 multiple choice and "8 short answer" questions, and PSY-306 was 40/8.  Off the top of my head, I can't recall the breakdown for the other two, but take note that PSY-312 Theraputic Interviewing is 100/0, and PSY-310 Stress Managment is 50/0.

Was the textbook necessary? Or was all of the information you needed to know for the exam on the powerpoint?

(11-01-2021, 04:56 PM)Murdockb Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 03:44 PM)ctcarl Wrote: I took all of those Coopersmith courses and enjoyed them.  For some I purchased the textbook, but for most I just hit the PPT decks hard.  They're concise and targeted.

Was the textbook necessary? Or was all of the information you needed to know for the exam on the powerpoint?

For some I purchased the textbook, but for most I just hit the PPT decks hard.  They're concise and targeted.

That was my experience.  I'm not about to tell someone else that they won't need the textbooks to pass.  Your mileage may vary.
I took Coopersmith PSY-305: Drugs Society and Human Behavior (TESU PSY-338) and it was a good course. It’ll prepare u for substance abuse counseling as some of the material is similar.
(11-02-2021, 09:08 AM)badcookie Wrote: I took Coopersmith PSY-305: Drugs Society and Human Behavior (TESU PSY-338) and it was a good course. It’ll prepare u for substance abuse counseling as some of the material is similar.

Do you remember how the exam was setup for Substance Abuse Counseling? Like 30/8 or 40/8?
I would love to see a wiki like the one for TESU "easiest" credits made for Coopersmith courses, kind of one stop shopping.  Which ones are the fastest and could come under the heading of "easy" or at least "friendly?"  The TESU wiki is great.  I think the Family Therapy course has gotten good reviews here as a friendly and quick course.
The problem with that is that Coopersmith courses are all essentially the same: read the thing, take the exam. TESU courses are all different: some have midterms, some don't; some have final exams, some don't; some have a final paper or project, some don't. The ease of TESU courses comes from choosing ones that don't have exams and without hefty final papers. I don't remember seeing anything about any Coopersmith courses that were actually DIFFICULT, either.

If I am incorrect about this, I would be glad to see a list of easy/difficult Coopersmith exams.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-25-2021, 06:17 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The problem with that is that Coopersmith courses are all essentially the same: read the thing, take the exam. TESU courses are all different: some have midterms, some don't; some have final exams, some don't; some have a final paper or project, some don't. The ease of TESU courses comes from choosing ones that don't have exams and without hefty final papers. I don't remember seeing anything about any Coopersmith courses that were actually DIFFICULT, either.

If I am incorrect about this, I would be glad to see a list of easy/difficult Coopersmith exams.
I think I read here (somewhere) that Physiological Psychology was a more strenuous test to study for?  At least should not be the first Coopersmith course to take, I guess?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,741 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,246 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,399 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 547 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 309 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77