Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else not attending their college graduations with intent?
I could walk in three college graduations this June in three States (NC, NY, WA).  I am not going nor do I care too!  It's not a money thing as I can afford to go to them all.

I am a lifelong learner, not a lifelong pat myself on the back type.  When I was young, I did not go to my college graduations.  I have never attended any of my graduations.  I am not a celebration type of person.  In the Army, I loved giving awards to others but hated receiving awards in public.

Anyone else feels the same?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • 22gunsonfire, leland.kirk
I don't mind patting myself on the back when it's due, and I'll happily be walking in June.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • greencouch, Life Long Learning
I have only walked at 2 graduations. 6th grade, because I didn’t know any better. And my AS, because I was bribed with a new work wardrobe that I needed. I chose to celebrate all the others in my own way and found that more enjoyable. I have a new coworker that is really taken aback that I have no desire to go to my upcoming BA commencement, even though it’s something I could afford. I don’t plan to go to my masters commencement, either. I will go to my PhD ceremony when that happens. Maybe I’m just jaded....but mostly, I don’t like the public celebration.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sparklette's post:
  • Life Long Learning
gosh, after a setup like that, who'll say yes? LOL But we will attend my husband's MBA graduation next weekend. I walked for my master's too. I think since we have 4 sons - 3 still living at home- that it's important for us to model achievement, so we also frame the degree(s) and put them in the hall. I don' have a hard opinion about whether or not someone "should" attend, to each their own, but earning an MBA is worth a pat on the back imo.
It's absolutely a celebration. I would have gone if I hadn't had to travel clear across the country to do it. However, if you're not into it, there's no reason to participate.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • greencouch, Life Long Learning
I usually just try to enjoy the ceremony rather than expressing any sort of intent.

If I can find a cheap flight, I'll go to the Sept. TESU ceremony. Frontier has flights from Detroit to Trenton sometimes for $20 each way. A person who doesn't like to be honored can just sit in the crowd and watch a ceremony that they are supposed to be in and have an out-of-body kind of experience.
[-] The following 3 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • dfrecore, greencouch, Life Long Learning
I could go to several this year as well. I am going to one just to have the experience, I may go to the one at TESU just to have an excuse to get out of town.

To each their own though. It does seem though Friday graduations are extremely inconvenient.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I didn't walk for my undergrad because I graduated in December and they only held graduation in May. By May I was working full time and didn't see the need or have the desire. I did, however, walk when I received my Masters. My oldest son is walking on Saturday to receive his 2 BA degrees and graduate from the Honors Program. I think if the Honors things was not such a big deal to him, he wouldn't have walked, but he worked very hard for that distinction!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 2 users Like hsfamfun's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Muldoon
I'm not going to mine in September, because it wouldn't really be the same to me if my husband and kids weren't there, and I won't take the kids out of school and fly cross-country for it. So, we'll probably just go out to a fancy dinner to celebrate instead. Maybe we'll even open a bottle of champagne to show them that it's a BIG deal.

I'll also be framing my diploma and hanging it up on a wall somewhere where I can see it a lot.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • davewill, Life Long Learning, Muldoon
I'd go but we can't afford to go coast-to-coast for it and stay out there, etc. My wife gradded her Masters from SNHU and we didn't get to go to that either unfortunately.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,196 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,558 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,947 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 244 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 509 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 405 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 738 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 208 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 251 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 211 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor