Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone get questioned on TESU?
So I have a good job but the topic of education comes up a lot. When ever I am asked where I went to school I explain how I didn't go right out of high school but chose to pursue a career sooner. I then mention that I am looking to go to TESU and finish up online and I get a lot of weird looks and questions like:

Is that a real school?
Is it like Devry?
Is it a legit diploma?
Seems fishy if you don't need to actually take courses.

Anyone else deal with this? Has anyone been called out on their degree when applying for a job or promotion?
It sounds like you're probably over-explaining it if you're getting questions about not taking courses there.

"I'm planning on completing my degree at Thomas Edison State University, a public state school in New Jersey, they have a great online program."
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 5 users Like jsd's post:
  • cookderosa, Kelly Green, Life Long Learning, Supermind, zapproximator
(09-07-2018, 04:52 PM)jsd Wrote: It sounds like you're probably over-explaining it if you're getting questions about not taking courses there.

"I'm planning on completing my degree at Thomas Edison State University, a public state school in New Jersey, they have a great online program."

what jsd said...and it pretty much goes for all the Big 3 (although we all understand the excitement of alternative methods as a way to earn those needed credits)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Kelly Green
Yeah, don't expect people to understand "testing out". They might understand testing out for a part of a degree, but most of it? You can tell them that it's not a for-profit school with the less-respected type of accreditation.

I've taken to just telling people I'm doing "online school"

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I have to think there is something that is causing them to act that way. I would suggest you not try and evangelize TESU, testing out, or distance ed. Just be honest.

Where did you to college?
I'm going now actually.
Cool, where?
Thomas Edison State University.
Where's that?
New Jersey.
So you're doing it online?
Yep.
Cool.

-or-

I'm going now actually.
Cool, where?
Where's that?
New Jersey.
Yep.
What? Is that even a legit program?
Seriously? It's 2018. Every college in the country offers courses online.
<uncomfortable silence>
Oh.

See- you can answer without being apologetic or selling - both will backfire. People who are critical are a waste of your time. People with an opinion are a waste of your time. People without degrees that have thought about returning to school may have sincere questions, but you can tell the difference because these people will ask sincerely and probe you for help.
9 times out of 10 when someone asks me a question about distance learning, I send them to their local CC's website. The 1 out of 10 I send to their local state college's website. 99.99% of the time they won't pursue either. You can spend a lot of energy answering questions that aren't even asked- people are just talking. But, if someone takes action or replies in a way that leads you to think they would love TESU, then help them win!!
I just told someone tonight about TESU but only after hearing about how he hated how long class semesters lasted. I asked him if he was good at taking tests, he said he was a natural test taker, but hated writing. I told him that I'd tested out of many classes by using a test called CLEP, that I'd completed 4 years of college in 18 months...... and then we chatted. I will probably end up helping this young man. I think the key is saying what you did instead of telling people what they should/could do. If they want to do what you did, they will ask.
(09-07-2018, 09:34 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I have to think there is something that is causing them to act that way.  I would suggest you not try and evangelize TESU, testing out, or distance ed.  Just be honest.

I'm going now actually.
Cool, where?
Where's that?
New Jersey.
Yep.
Cool.  

-or-

I'm going now actually.
Cool, where?
Where's that?
New Jersey.
Yep.
What? Is that even a legit program?
Seriously? It's 2018.  Every college in the country offers courses online.
<uncomfortable silence>
Oh.  

See- you can answer without being apologetic or selling - both will backfire.  People who are critical are a waste of your time.  People with an opinion are a waste of your time.  People without degrees that have thought about returning to school may have sincere questions, but you can tell the difference because these people will ask sincerely and probe you for help.  
9 times out of 10 when someone asks me a question about distance learning, I send them to their local CC's website.  The 1 out of 10 I send to their local state college's website.  99.99% of the time they won't pursue either.  You can spend a lot of energy answering questions that aren't even asked- people are just talking.  But, if someone takes action or replies in a way that leads you to think they would love TESU, then help them win!!  
I just told someone tonight about TESU but only after hearing about how he hated how long class semesters lasted.  I asked him if he was good at taking tests, he said he was a natural test taker, but hated writing.  I told him that I'd tested out of many classes by using a test called CLEP, that I'd completed 4 years of college in 18 months...... and then we chatted.  I will probably end up helping this young man.  I think the key is saying what you did instead of telling people what they should/could do. If they want to do what you did, they will ask.

EXACTLY!

In 7+ years of doing this, I have had multiple people ask me about TESU/alternative credits, and only ONE actually ended up going there and getting his degree (he even beat me to it!).  The rest, if they were interested asked lots of questions, but none actually did anything about it.  I have someone now who is VERY interested, but generally, like Jennifer said, if they want to know more, they'll ask.  Otherwise, you're giving too much info to people.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-07-2018, 06:51 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yeah, don't expect people to understand "testing out". They might understand testing out for a part of a degree, but most of it? You can tell them that it's not a for-profit school with the less-respected type of accreditation.

"You can tell them that it's not a for-profit school with the less-respected type of accreditation."

What?  TESU (nor any of the Big 3) does not have a less-respected type of accreditation.  They are all RA, and as far as TESU is concerned their Business program is ACBSP as well.
Amberton University

(09-08-2018, 07:40 AM)allvia Wrote:
(09-07-2018, 06:51 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yeah, don't expect people to understand "testing out". They might understand testing out for a part of a degree, but most of it? You can tell them that it's not a for-profit school with the less-respected type of accreditation.

"You can tell them that it's not a for-profit school with the less-respected type of accreditation."

What?  TESU (nor any of the Big 3) does not have a less-respected type of accreditation.  They are all RA, and as far as TESU is concerned their Business program is ACBSP as well.

It was worded weird but i think he was trying to say something more like NOT one of those for-profit schools (which have lower-accreditation).
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-08-2018, 09:05 AM)jsd Wrote:
(09-08-2018, 07:40 AM)allvia Wrote:

It was worded weird but i think he was trying to say something more like NOT one of those for-profit schools (which have lower-accreditation).

Ah that make more sense.  I misread it - goes to show how easy too much information beyond the "State School in NJ" is too much to share Smile
Amberton University

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Kelly Green

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,290 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,280 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore