Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone have some experience with TESU technical majors (Electrical/Electronics)
I've spoken on this forum many times that electronics/electrical engineering technology is my interest. I'm trying to find a place to stick some of these certificates through PLA if possible.

These are the programs I am interested:

For Associate level (as opposed to something like Pierpoint BOG)

AS Degree in Electronics Engineering Technology at Thomas Edison State University | Associate in Science (tesu.edu) 
AAS Degree in Applied Electronic Studies at Thomas Edison State University | Associate in Applied Science (tesu.edu)

and this for a Bachelors:

BS Degree in Electrical Technology at Thomas Edison State University | Bachelor of Science (tesu.edu)

I really only care to do one of these build-your-own degrees if I can use the time I'm spending on electronics towards it. Any advice?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
I'm not super familiar with these degrees in particular because most people choose the easier route. However, these would be the perfect degrees to do PLAs for. There are few, if any, non-TESU sources for these. Especially for UL credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • CableGuy98
For these particular degrees PLA is definitely the best option. I peeked at TESU's PLA Database and saw alot of the needed courses, so one at some point PLA'd it. Even if the course isn't in the database, you can still PLA it (unless it's one of the few that aren't allowed).

Out of curiosity how are you looking to proceed?
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(09-03-2021, 12:14 AM)xicovu Wrote: I've spoken on this forum many times that electronics/electrical engineering technology is my interest. I'm trying to find a place to stick some of these certificates through PLA if possible.

These are the programs I am interested:

For Associate level (as opposed to something like Pierpoint BOG)

AS Degree in Electronics Engineering Technology at Thomas Edison State University | Associate in Science (tesu.edu) 
AAS Degree in Applied Electronic Studies at Thomas Edison State University | Associate in Applied Science (tesu.edu)

and this for a Bachelors:

BS Degree in Electrical Technology at Thomas Edison State University | Bachelor of Science (tesu.edu)

I really only care to do one of these build-your-own degrees if I can use the time I'm spending on electronics towards it. Any advice?

Hey Chris- so I'm in the sister program (Electronics Systems Engineering Technology) similar but slightly different programs..  To dispel any myths or rumors, PLA is not as helpful in these programs as others- Very rare to see PLA translate into UL EET courses, unless of course you've worked in nuclear/power generation or similar military equivalents.. even the FCC licenses I hold at best are 200 level (LL) equivalent.

My advice to you is shoot straight for your BS degree- you'll save time knocking out your lower level ET/EET courses at the community college (AC/DC circuits, solid state, communication electronics, microprocessors, PLC's etc.) not to mention the Community Colleges have labs where you actually get hands on with components- TESU ELT/EET courses, (even if they do have a lab) don't have the same effectiveness as brick & mortar in my opinion- 

Upper level ET/EET courses online can get rather dizzying with theory if you don't already have that familiarity/knowledge base from the lower level ET/EET courses. My Electrical & Electronics experience is a combination of high school, military, and college which luckily made the courses more of a review, than a brain busting course. (except for Calculus)...

Your money maker is Sophia & Study.com (Statistics, English, Physics I & II, Project Management, and gen-ed/free electives) if you don't already have those or are starting from scratch.

Not sure what you're looking to do with the degree, but in all honestly- ABET accreditation is becoming the Gold standard in the Tech sector- even as a "hands-on" technician.. The Electrical Technology program is nearly the same as Electronics Systems Engineering just without chemistry and calculus- might be worth considering depending on your situation and longer-term goals, just my .02  

Either way, don't stop... see it through- whatever program you choose.
I work for the largest computer hardware manufacturer supporting multi million dollar storage clusters. Really even a BS Professional Studies would suffice. I do want to get more into the deeper internals of computer hardware to get into a position called principle support engineer who basically "owns" a component and works with engineering to fix big issues. My ideal degree would be Electronics or Computer Engineering Technology but it comes down to time/cost on a degree that doesn't teach me what I need to know, right now, to do my job better.

My pie in the sky degree is the Master's of Electrical Engineering from U of Colardo Boulder that is offered on Coursera. They have no prerequisites - not even a Bachelors degree. You can have no degree at all and they will let you in if you can pass one of the courses offered on coursera. I could probably handle a lot of it already but I need to get better at the fundamentals of electronics with:
https://www.etcourse.com/curriculum
And a PLC technician course, Mechatronics, etc to get the foundational knowedge to prep for the Coursera program.

I definetly need to learn the calculus and science for EET.

That being said It would be nice to use these self study courses in the certifcate program and some circuit analysis from EdX for credit somewhere. I'm not really willing to side track and work on something that is not in service of the goal of:
https://www.colorado.edu/ecee/academics/...ed-systems

The immediate goal would be to get the Electronics technician certification and tack on an associates. I have 30 credits for the associate of professional studies so I wouldn't waste time doing that, and would simply need the generals from Purdue University Global. Basically, a do it yourself  AS Electronics Technology. If I could get one from TESU that officially as AS Electrical Studies, AS Electronic Engineering, AAS Applied Electronics that would be better then a Pro Studies degree.

I know everyone is against spending extra money to get the associates but I don't have to pay for it so its a non-issue. If I stop at an associates degree level it's still something on my resume that says I can work with electronics. No degree hasn't hindered me - I work with engineers that have graduated from Purdue. What IS going to hinder me is having to take time away from learning what I need, when I need it.

The goal with the Electrical Technologies would be that I could use what I learn not in a college program (Electronics Certificate, Coursera courses, etc) and get something concrete that I can show the more advanced teams hiring managers. I'm also pursueing a Master Certified Electronics technician, or at least a Senior Electronics journeyman. If I could use those tests for PLA that would be awesome. I

I've looked at Grantham's BS EET program and it is ABET, it just comes down to time. If I can use all of what I'm doing to get a degree, any degree, that would work just fine. I presume that the Electrical Technology program is going to be less of a time commitment then the engineering one, and I just can't afford to spend time away from something that is not related to the server i support and advancing knowledge of what I need right now. I've got coworkers that are going to a proper college and I smoke them because I can spend time on learning what I need when I need it.

My game plan is a little different then most people's on here. I don't care about cost and I really don't care about time - as long as its not making me spend time studying things that aren't immediately useful. An associates gets something on my resume faster then waiting to get the bachelors. Cost isn't important.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  CIS-351 Software Engineering - Course Experience? Sallym 38 4,385 03-05-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Vin
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP