Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here completed or pursuing a non-U.S./Canadian Masters degree ?
If you are very familiar with Masters programs from institutions outside of the U.S.A. or Canada, would you mind sharing your experiences? Reasons for doing so, costs, etc?
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
StoicJ Wrote:If you are very familiar with Masters programs from institutions outside of the U.S.A. or Canada, would you mind sharing your experiences? Reasons for doing so, costs, etc?

We had one member complete an MBA from Spain, but she hasn't posted here in a long time. There might be more people on the other forum, but they get less and less helpful as time goes by.

For the member who completed the MBA program in Spain, I think she did so because she works in international business. Some of the people on the other forum attended foreign schools due to lower cost. There is a Heriot-Watt MBA that is nothing but exams, but extremely difficult exams. It can save money, but I don't think there is anyone currently posting on the other forum that has been in that program. Outside of the U.S., it's not uncommon to see a thesis-only masters degree program; some people might like that. On the other forum, you'll find people who have completed or are in the process of completing doctoral programs at UNISA.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I know there's a guy here who is working on a masters in Slovakia. And a woman IN the USA doing classes thru a uni in Spain. It has been a while since they posted. I have looked at the other forum, and there's good info, I just like this place more Smile

If business is going well next year, I could possibly move from Central America to a different part of the world to pursue an MBA. Classes would have to be in English. Distance classes are okay, but I could also do physical if time frame were something like 14 months or less. Just considering options right now. Not even sure if my wife would be comfortable with it.
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
StoicJ Wrote:I know there's a guy here who is working on a masters in Slovakia. And a woman IN the USA doing classes thru a uni in Spain. It has been a while since they posted. I have looked at the other forum, and there's good info, I just like this place more Smile

If business is going well next year, I could possibly move from Central America to a different part of the world to pursue an MBA. Classes would have to be in English. Distance classes are okay, but I could also do physical if time frame were something like 14 months or less. Just considering options right now. Not even sure if my wife would be comfortable with it.

So, you're looking for people who lived in a foreign country while completing a masters? That's going to be even more difficult to find. There are quite a few people who have attended school in other countries, but they are from those countries.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
So, years ago in certain fields of study - especially the arts/humanities it was very common for students to study with schools overseas because they didn't require GREs. I have a language studies professor who studied in South Africa for one of his many degrees in this way. He also did some intensive studies with major universities like Oxford just because it looked good on a resume. He referenced quite a few scholars who took this same approach. They are all working in major universities like Princeton, Harvard and the like. Or they have gone on to have writing careers, lecturing outside of a classroom, etc. Most of them he told me about are older so I am not sure if this is as common now because so many schools don't require the GRE now or possibly it is more common (I just don't know). My guess is that just like in the U.S. there are certain schools that have some clout in certain fields. However, there are some programs that are cheaper, have some kind of specialized area study etc. I think it depends on what your end goal is and why you want to pursue that route.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
sanantone Wrote:So, you're looking for people who lived in a foreign country while completing a masters? That's going to be even more difficult to find. There are quite a few people who have attended school in other countries, but they are from those countries.
No, interested in those who completed, are working on, or just generally knowledgeable about masters degrees (English language) from universities that are not in the USA or Canada. Distance learning OR butt-in-seat.
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
StoicJ Wrote:If you are very familiar with Masters programs from institutions outside of the U.S.A. or Canada, would you mind sharing your experiences? Reasons for doing so, costs, etc?

Over a dozen years ago, I recommended a friend to do the Heriot-Watt MBA by taking 10 exams.
He did it after his Excelsior BS (which I recommended at the time because they "were" the cheapest of the Big 3).

Fast forward a decade, he did the same thing with the Heriot-Watt Masters of Management in Finance.
Anyways, that's a great school if you just want to "exam" it out, it's not easy, but doable... $1 grand USD/exam.

On a side note, I've also been recommending people who are more frugal to go with UNISA (South Africa).
I say South Africa as some people thought I was referring to UNISA (University of South Australia).
They're really cheap and a well recognized provider of distance education as well.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I've looked at a few foreign masters options (mostly MBA or along those lines). Heriot Watt is a good one. Seems like it was closer to $13k-$16k, but I could be wrong.
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
The issue with UNISA, though, is navigating their system on your own. I think the middleman in Canada that helped U.S. and Canadian students shut down. Someone can try contacting them.

IACI offers UNISA university distance learning courses up to Doctoral

Before Nations University earned accreditation, I looked at the South African Theological Seminary because it was cheaper than the American options I could find.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
A number of overseas MBA programs have AACSB certification, e.g., the UK's Open University. That doesn't mean that programs, such as Herriott-Watt that don't have it aren't also superb programs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 273 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 492 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 264 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,096 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,295 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,343 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,620 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,001 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 520 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas