Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU, low GPA and NJ Teaching Certification
I've done some searching on this topic throughout the forum but I'm having a hard time getting a consistent answer so I figured I'd post a new thread. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads!

Quick overview of my situation, in my first attempt as a student I left college with 52 credits and a cumulative GPA of 2.0. Since that time I've earned an additional 50 ACE/NCCRS credits and my academic evaluation at TESU now says my GPA is 2.3 (not sure how accurate that is). I'd like to complete a BA in History at TESU and a teacher's certification here in NJ but it looks like the minimum GPA for the certification is 3.0 (or possibly a 2.75 if a minimum Praxis test score is reached). I still have an additional 30 core credits to complete before I'm eligible for the BA.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the most cost effective way of getting my GPA up to that 2.75-3.0 area? Would replacing my D's and C's from my original coursework with passing grades on pass/fail courses like CLEP, StraighterLine, etc. help or does the GPA from that original transcript stick around? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
npk32 Wrote:I've done some searching on this topic throughout the forum but I'm having a hard time getting a consistent answer so I figured I'd post a new thread. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads!

Does anyone have any suggestions on the most cost effective way of getting my GPA up to that 2.75-3.0 area? Would replacing my D's and C's from my original coursework with passing grades on pass/fail courses like CLEP, StraighterLine, etc. help or does the GPA from that original transcript stick around? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pass/Fail does not affect your GPA, so that's not going to work at all.

The only way to replace bad grades is from the original school you took them at. It's unfortunate, but the only way to do it - and even then, there's no guarantee that the school will let you. A previous school I was at allowed you to replace D's and F's, but not C's, for example. So, contact the school, and see what their policy is, and if it's something you want to do.

The next thing you can do is earn great grades from here on out. You will need to do courses at more expensive options than most we have here, unless you can do inexpensive CC courses. But you really need grades rather than just finishing a degree through one of the Big 3 thru testing out. And, you need to earn a lot of A's to bring a low GPA up. To raise your 2.0 to a 3.0, you would need to earn a 4.0 on 52cr. That's a LOT of A's to get. Learn how to improve GPA

I'm thinking that you might even want to use a competency-based degree program that gives you grades, and actually continue on with your Master's, thus getting even more graded credits. If you have to take a bunch of graded courses anyway, why not make them really count!?! Just an idea I'm throwing out there, I'm sure others will have some ways to help that are better than mine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,926 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,581 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,292 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,321 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore