Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone take one of the FREE Certificate Programs direct from Hillsdale College?
(11-29-2018, 08:05 AM)vetvso Wrote: I don't see them listed in ACE or am I missing something. Under the FAQ I saw no credit but mayabe NCCRS?

Hillsdale is a regionally accredited college; they don't need ACE or NCCRS. However, these free courses are not for-credit. They're MOOCs. They're no different from taking courses through Coursera or edX, except Hillsdale's professors are intentionally mediocre.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-29-2018, 09:19 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 08:05 AM)vetvso Wrote: I don't see them listed in ACE or am I missing something. Under the FAQ I saw no credit but mayabe NCCRS?

They're not ACE or NCCRS approved as far as I can tell. So one would only be taking the courses for fun.

Someone could do a PLA only then if they had funding for the classes.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • Leedeedee
(11-29-2018, 11:07 AM)vetvso Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:19 AM)MNomadic Wrote:

They're not ACE or NCCRS approved as far as I can tell. So one would only be taking the courses for fun.

Someone could do a PLA only then if they had funding for the classes.

This might actually be a great option for English majors.  There are a bunch of Lit courses that you could use, along with other resources, to do some UL PLA's for the credit needed to complete the degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-29-2018, 10:01 AM)sanantone Wrote: vetvso
 except Hillsdale's professors are intentionally mediocre.

How do you know that?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • Sapientes, SCYankee
(11-29-2018, 09:08 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

How do you know that?

Based on their hiring requirements. They are very restrictive on what philosophy you must subscribe to. That not only weeds out great candidates with varying views, but it runs off great candidates who agree with them because they don't want to be in an environment that lacks academic freedom. If you're a very capable teacher, you're likely going to take a job at one of the better liberal arts colleges.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(11-30-2018, 03:02 AM)sanantone Wrote:

How do you know that?

Based on their hiring requirements. They are very restrictive on what philosophy you must subscribe to. That not only weeds out great candidates with varying views, but it runs off great candidates who agree with them because they don't want to be in an environment that lacks academic freedom. If you're a very capable teacher, you're likely going to take a job at one of the better liberal arts colleges.

If you're not a liberal professor, then your chances of getting hired or being able to do well professionally at any other college is not good.  My friend's daughter is a brilliant college student and plans to go into teaching.  She is VERY conservative.  She's applying to PhD programs right now, and has said that she won't say one word about her actual thoughts on anything,, because she knows that not only won't she be able to teach, she won't be able to get into a program.  So she just keeps her mouth shut no matter what her liberal professors and the other students spew.  She said she MAY be able to open her mouth someday when she's tenured.  MAYBE.

So to say that other colleges hire candidates with varying views is a complete joke.  They do NOT.  You must subscribe to their liberal philosophies, no matter what.  Maybe not as an adjunct, but certainly if you want to work there full-time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 6 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Dorothy44, Leedeedee, Life Long Learning, Sapientes, SCYankee, StoicJ
(11-30-2018, 10:23 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

How do you know that?

If you're not a liberal professor, then your chances of getting hired or being able to do well professionally at any other college is not good.  My friend's daughter is a brilliant college student and plans to go into teaching.  She is VERY conservative.  She's applying to PhD programs right now, and has said that she won't say one word about her actual thoughts on anything,, because she knows that not only won't she be able to teach, she won't be able to get into a program.  So she just keeps her mouth shut no matter what her liberal professors and the other students spew.  She said she MAY be able to open her mouth someday when she's tenured.  MAYBE.

So to say that other colleges hire candidates with varying views is a complete joke.  They do NOT.  You must subscribe to their liberal philosophies, no matter what.  Maybe not as an adjunct, but certainly if you want to work there full-time.

That is not true. The top universities hire conservative professors all the time; there just aren't as many conservatives interested in academic research. This is proven by surveys of the overall political leanings of scientists in inside and outside of academia. 

Search committees mainly look for these things: research in an area the school specializes in, research in an area the school is lacking in, the number of articles published in quality journals, teaching experience, and the pedigree of the school where the doctorate was earned. Honestly, no one should be able to decipher your political leanings from your research. If they can, then you have a problem. 

When I taught classes, neither my students nor my clients could accurately describe my political leanings. Some of them assumed that I was conservative because of the way I carry myself and my previous jobs in law enforcement, but I'm clearly not.

When I applied to my PhD program, my essay said nothing about my political views. I would guess that a quarter to a third of the students in my doctoral program are conservative, and some of my professors are conservative. Liberals are only a majority because they're the majority attracted to social science. All but one of my professors in my master's program were conservative.

There are some issues on which I'm center-right. I'm pro-life, and it never came up in my law class when we were discussing Roe v. Wade. I wasn't afraid of expressing my views; they were just irrelevant. The pro-choice people didn't talk about their views either. All we needed to know was the rationale behind the ruling.

Regarding the new Texas law that allows students to carry weapons on campus, many of my ultra-liberal classmates were freaking out. I felt very comfortable in explaining why I was neutral on the issue, wasn't uncomfortable with students carrying guns, and saying that I might start carrying a gun myself.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

How do you know that?

The lack of “ideological diversity,” in college these days is sad.  Mindless groupthink.  Kids are taught what to think not how to think.  

The new Harvard President Bacow talked about the lack of “ideological diversity,” at universities and out-of-touch with the rest of America.  Governor Charlie Baker proved that 100% at Harvard speaking right before President Bacow.
Harvard University Presidential Inauguration of Lawrence S. Bacow | October 5, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XlDUyfTHj4
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • Sapientes, StoicJ
(11-30-2018, 05:06 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

How do you know that?

The lack of “ideological diversity,” in college these days is sad.  Mindless groupthink.  Kids are taught what to think not how to think.  

The new Harvard President Bacow talked about the lack of “ideological diversity,” at universities and out-of-touch with the rest of America.  Governor Charlie Baker proved that 100% at Harvard speaking right before President Bacow.
Harvard University Presidential Inauguration of Lawrence S. Bacow | October 5, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XlDUyfTHj4

In general, professors do not change students' political views. Most college students go into college liberal; that's to be expected among young people, even among those who don't go to college. Students' political views are mostly influenced by other college students. People keep regurgitating this lie that students are being brainwashed by their professors without any evidence. It's probably more so the case that people are being brainwashed by anti-intellectual, right wing media. Some people fear an educated populace.

http://theconversation.com/does-college-...rals-90905

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014...al-college

https://www.theguardian.com/education/20...g-politics

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/opini...beral.html
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Those Literature classes look very interesting! I saved this off for when I'm done with my degree. Thanks for sharing!!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-credit Fintech certificate, free, U South Florida freeloader 2 135 04-19-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 20 4,167 04-19-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 3,000 04-17-2024, 09:49 PM
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,236 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,550 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 676 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,814 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,131 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,856 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,248 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM