Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything out there for 1 credit towards Natural World?
Hi! I started working on a degree in business management from TESU in October (pretty excited that I was able to hammer out 6 study.com courses already!) I transferred some credits in from a community college and am one credit shy of my 4 credit requirement for science.

Anyone know of a simple 1 credit course? something easy. Or am I better off just taking a science class on study.com and letting the other 2 credits overflow into my gened requirements? I have a very easy time doing study.com courses so far and don't mind paying extra.

Best,

Tom
Yes it's usually much simpler and cheaper to do a 3 credit course and have a little extra than try and find a 1 credit course. You could find a 1 credit lab course but the course and/or lab materials would cost more than just doing an extra science course, unless you specifically needed a lab. Onlinedegree.com has a few science courses you could do for very cheap or you could just stick with study.com.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
The general consensus around here is that, while there are a couple one-credit science options, they are almost always labs and the time/money you'll have to spend is often more than just taking a 3-credit class.

If you're looking for suggestions, I found OnlineDegree.com's Astronomy very interesting and it's only $9/3 credits. But be aware that it's only an option if you live in the US.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(12-17-2018, 02:43 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: The general consensus around here is that, while there are a couple one-credit science options, they are almost always labs and the time/money you'll have to spend is often more than just taking a 3-credit class.

If you're looking for suggestions, I found OnlineDegree.com's Astronomy very interesting and it's only $9/3 credits. But be aware that it's only an option if you live in the US.

Thanks! How do courses on OD compare to study.com as far as how long it takes to get through? I can get through a study.com class in about 8 hours
Does TESU accept Onlinedegree.com version of biology? Does anyone know this?
(12-17-2018, 10:22 PM)blt93933 Wrote:
(12-17-2018, 02:43 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: The general consensus around here is that, while there are a couple one-credit science options, they are almost always labs and the time/money you'll have to spend is often more than just taking a 3-credit class.

Thanks! How do courses on OD compare to study.com as far as how long it takes to get through? I can get through a study.com class in about 8 hours

The thing about the OD courses is the videos have timers on them so they have to run about 50-100% of their length before you can move on, even if they're played at double speed. So it will take take a little longer than 8 hours.

(12-17-2018, 10:40 PM)squirrely181 Wrote: Does TESU accept Onlinedegree.com version of biology? Does anyone know this?

You should be able to ask a TESU adviser or the onlinedegree customer service rep(they always respond really fast). They have an articulation agreement, however for whatever reason, they haven't posted it on the site yet. 

99.9% sure TESU will accept it, though.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(12-17-2018, 10:43 PM)MNomadic Wrote:

The thing about the OD courses is the videos have timers on them so they have to run about 50-100% of their length before you can move on, even if they're played at double speed. So it will take take a little longer than 8 hours.

(12-17-2018, 10:40 PM)squirrely181 Wrote: Does TESU accept Onlinedegree.com version of biology? Does anyone know this?

You should be able to ask a TESU adviser or the onlinedegree customer service rep(they always respond really fast). They have an articulation agreement, however for whatever reason, they haven't posted it on the site yet. 

If that is true, it will help me out so much as all I have is the Capstone, Bio, and Algebra left. Algebra is the one im scared for, as im horrible at math.
(12-17-2018, 10:43 PM)MNomadic Wrote: You should be able to ask a TESU adviser or the onlinedegree customer service rep(they always respond really fast). They have an articulation agreement, however for whatever reason, they haven't posted it on the site yet. 

I agree that TESU should accept anything from OnlineDegree.com since it is all NCCRS recommended.

As for the articulation agreement, the last update I've seen from them is that they were still finalizing the agreement. Until its signed and made official, I'm sure they can't post anything.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-17-2018, 10:50 PM)squirrely181 Wrote:

If that is true, it will help me out so much as all I have is the Capstone, Bio, and Algebra left. Algebra is the one im scared for, as im horrible at math.

Best of luck! Are you still planning to use ALEKs for algebra?

I'm personally finding this site: https://schoolyourself.org/
to be great for basic algebra review. It sounds funny coming from an adult but I find the lessons effective, concise, engaging and fun. It's free, too. I actually look forward my study sessions with that site.

Quote:Until its signed and made official, I'm sure they can't post anything.
That's probably the ticket right there. OD has made tuition discount/scholarship agreements with some colleges already, maybe they're working something with TESU as well? I'm sure TESU's partnership with study.com has been very mutually beneficial.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(12-17-2018, 11:03 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(12-17-2018, 10:50 PM)squirrely181 Wrote:

Best of luck! Are you still planning to use ALEKs for algebra?

I'm personally finding this site: https://schoolyourself.org/
to be great for basic algebra review. It sounds funny coming from an adult but I find the lessons effective, concise, engaging and fun. It's free, too. I actually look forward my study sessions with that site.

Quote:Until its signed and made official, I'm sure they can't post anything.
That's probably the ticket right there. OD has made tuition discount/scholarship agreements with some colleges already, maybe they're working something with TESU as well? I'm sure TESU's partnership with study.com has been very mutually beneficial.
Yes,
If i can just get a 70% on the assessment i can test out of it correct? If I manage that i would be ecstatic. Trying to finish all this before my AAS Capstone starts in January. 
Yes im aware the AAS is not really the best idea however, I am a instant gratification sort of guy so I went with the AAS. That and they took all my old FEMA courses so it knocked out alot of my stuff. I plan on doing alot of straighterline and a few other courses as well and get my Bachelors once i figure out the concentration i want. However, I was also looking at transferring out to Troy University and going into their BAS in Resource and Technology Management program as they will accept my AAS and transfer credits. Then move into a Masters from them (direct admission if I have a good enough GPA, looking at a Masters in Public Admnistration.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes squirrely181's post:
  • Mab81

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 159 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,754 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 796 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  Credit distribution Kones 6 517 10-13-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Kones
  90 credit max transfer, does that include TECEPs? Math avoidant 21 2,898 08-01-2023, 03:25 AM
  TESU ENS-360 Credit from Lawshelf Niketay 1 451 07-28-2023, 09:19 PM
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,169 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
  BALS Natural Sciences/Mathematics Clarification ACR1200 14 1,174 06-12-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Another source of cheap NCCRS credit Avidreader 8 1,118 06-11-2023, 02:14 AM
  TESU - Accounting Credit Options allvia 8 1,159 05-11-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore