Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apply To Excelsior for Free With Questionnaire Email
publius2k4 Wrote:Yes, that is an expensive option. And from what I read in another thread, it looks like TESC will not accept FCC washed credits from FEMA, either. I am curious about TESC's reasons for this abrupt change. The fact that the courses are not proctored could be one possibility, but I wonder if the change was financially motivated.

It would only help TESC financially if the students decide to take TESC courses/tests instead. They won't make any additional money off of students using other outside sources for free electives.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:It would only help TESC financially if the students decide to take TESC courses/tests instead. They won't make any additional money off of students using other outside sources for free electives.

Exactly. By limiting the sources allowed, they are increasing income. It makes sense, but it seems unfair to the student.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
publius2k4 Wrote:Exactly. By limiting the sources allowed, they are increasing income. It makes sense, but it seems unfair to the student.

But they aren't going to increase their income if they drive students away. Their acceptance of so many nontraditional sources of credit is their appeal to many students.

If they want to increase income they could start requiring X amount of credits be earned through TESC. That will increase their income but won't limit CBE options for students.
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
ironheadjack Wrote:If they want to increase income they could start requiring X amount of credits be earned through TESC. That will increase their income but won't limit CBE options for students.

A residency requirement would certainly would drive me away. All of a sudden, having to complete a cornerstone and capstone at COSC wouldn't look so bad. Having no residency requirement, except for that stupid capstone, is also a major appeal. Many other schools accept 60+ CBE credits, but they also have a 25% residency requirement.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
When I said x amount of credits I meant lets say....requiring you to earn 3-12 credits from TESC. That would be a way of boosting income but not limiting different sources of credit. But that's my view from a money making stand point.

As a student, being able to transfer in all of your credits is the bee's knees.

If anyone from TESC actually does read this forum, GET RID OF THE STUPID CAPSTONE COURSE!!!!!:mad:
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
They kind of already do have a 3-credit residency requirement for most of their degree programs. If they had a 9 to 12 credit residency requirement, I would take a serious look at COSC and EC. I don't think that capstone is going anywhere. I'm just hoping they never require that Strategic Management be taken as a course at TESC. But in the grand scheme of things, FEMAs have only been an option for a few years. TESC has been around since the 70s. COSC just started accepting FEMAs directly a year or two ago.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Does Excelsior have anything similar to the "LDAS/create your own degree" program at TESC? I'm looking again at what options I may have over there, but with all the credits I have in various areas, it seems like these might require me to be starting around a sophomore level. The other thing I still like about TESC in the per credit option, because I don't have a lot of money to be putting out right now for enrollment/classes, but lots of time to study.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:Does Excelsior have anything similar to the "LDAS/create your own degree" program at TESC? I'm looking again at what options I may have over there, but with all the credits I have in various areas, it seems like these might require me to be starting around a sophomore level. The other thing I still like about TESC in the per credit option, because I don't have a lot of money to be putting out right now for enrollment/classes, but lots of time to study.

That can be done with the Liberal Studies degree at Excelsior. It is extremely flexible. You can not create a major that isn't already offered, but you can work with your advisor to create 1 or 2 Areas of Focus (minors) within the degree.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Copying and pasting did not work. I have gone back and now cannot find the email in my inbox or trash. Just call them or email them 888-647-2388 ext. 21 or admissions@excelsior.edu.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,364 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,175 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,133 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,853 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 943 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,236 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
  TESU free electives Tripletmom 1 1,206 06-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,748 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso