Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applying to PA school
Hi everybody!

Has anyone been granted admission to any Physician Assistant schools with the TESU Bachelor's degree? Has anyone experienced any issues with applications? If so, what was your major that you applied with?

Thank you so much!
(08-06-2018, 12:28 PM)ashtonnewman Wrote: Hi everybody!

Has anyone been granted admission to any Physician Assistant schools with the TESU Bachelor's degree? Has anyone experienced any issues with applications? If so, what was your major that you applied with?

Thank you so much!

Hello! Someone I know is currently applying to PA schools. They have a traditional B&M degree in biology. Something to keep in mind is that most graduate PA programs are going to have some requirements for their prerequisites courses. Basically they want it to be an actual course with a GPA and labs.

I would definitely look into whichever PA programs you like to find their requirements and plan those accordingly. Also, keep in mind they want to see candidates with experience whether it's volunteer hours or paid work in medicalish work(things like assisting disabled people). It can be very competitive and I believe they oftentimes want to see GRE scores as well.

Just some things to keep in mind as you want to work on those things from the start. Best of luck!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-06-2018, 12:38 PM)MNomadic Thanks for the quick answer! I transferred everything in with actual courses and labs with grades from a commuunity college so it would not be a problem. I am just asking because this is a non-tradional way of getting a BA so some schools may not be a fan of it.Everything else has been worked on but the BA. This is why I am asking as I am currently applying as well! Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 12:28 PM)ashtonnewman Wrote: Hi everybody!

Thank you so much!

Hello! Someone I know is currently applying to PA schools. They have a traditional B&M degree in biology. Something to keep in mind is that most graduate PA programs are going to have some requirements for their prerequisites courses. Basically they want it to be an actual course with a GPA and labs.

I would definitely look into whichever PA programs you like to find their requirements and plan those accordingly. Also, keep in mind they want to see candidates with experience whether it's volunteer hours or paid work in medicalish work(things like assisting disabled people). It can be very competitive and I believe they oftentimes want to see GRE scores as well.

Just some things to keep in mind as you want to work on those things from the start. Best of luck!
Sounds good then! Graduating from TESU shouldn't cause any big problems then. I can't speak for every potential school but as long as you meet their application requirements and have a competitive application, you should be able to get looked at by some schools.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
you aren't getting in with a TESU BS

https://shs.touro.edu/programs/physician...ollapseOne

https://www.marist.edu/science/physician...admissions

https://www.southuniversity.edu/tampa/ar...admissions
(08-06-2018, 10:39 PM)bluebooger Wrote: you aren't getting in with a TESU BS

What specifically are you basing that statement off of?

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • harrypotter
Having a BS from TESU isn't enough on its own, but if you take a quick year to finish your BA/BS from TESU, you can take a year or 2 years "pre-med or pre-professional sciences requirements" at the local 4-year college/university and that should be sufficient enough for admissions. Some may go beyond those requirements and get a second BS in Biology/Chemistry or Organic Chemistry, maybe a BS Health Sciences even. As long as you keep up the GPA and have all your prerequisites completed, you'll remain competitive.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • indigoshuffle
(08-06-2018, 10:39 PM)bluebooger Wrote: you aren't getting in with a TESU BS

https://shs.touro.edu/programs/physician...ollapseOne

https://www.marist.edu/science/physician...admissions

https://www.southuniversity.edu/tampa/ar...admissions

What's funny about this post is clearly that you haven't done the proper research.

The first link is for Touro Bayshore that does not even REQUIRE a BA! 

The second link clearly states "A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or an equivalent institution must be awarded prior to matriculation into the program"

The third link states "Applicants must have an earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution."

So, there is nothing there that states anything from TESU would not work. You have no basis for your claim unless you bring other proof or information!

Thanks for contributing though.

(08-07-2018, 12:12 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Having a BS from TESU isn't enough on its own, but if you take a quick year to finish your BA/BS from TESU, you can take a year or 2 years "pre-med or pre-professional sciences requirements" at the local 4-year college/university and that should be sufficient enough for admissions.  Some may go beyond those requirements and get a second BS in Biology/Chemistry or Organic Chemistry, maybe a BS Health Sciences even.  As long as you keep up the GPA and have all your prerequisites completed, you'll remain competitive.

I spent 3 years at my community college finishing all the pre-reqs and only then completing the BA from TESU. You are correct that as long as you keep the GPA up and have the pre-reqs you will be fine. 

Thank you for contributing!
Lol that's almost exactly what I was thinking. For sure, it is not easy to get into some of those PA programs(they are very competitive), but as long as you do what you need to meet the requirements and also do what you need to be competitive, most shouldn't have a problem with TESU. After all, you said you would be getting your science prerequisites done in person with hands on labs and any contact/clinical hours you do would naturally be in person as well.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(08-07-2018, 01:33 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Lol that's almost exactly what I was thinking. For sure, it is not easy to get into some of those PA programs(they are very competitive), but as long as you do what you need to meet the requirements and also do what you need to be competitive, most shouldn't have a problem with TESU. After all, you said you would be getting your science prerequisites done in person with hands on labs and any contact/clinical hours you do would naturally be in person as well.

Exactly! The reason I am asking is that one school is not too keen on such a BA. They write on the requirements page "A baccalaureate degree obtained from an educational institution that confers degrees solely based on acquiring prior community or other college credits (or a majority thereof) may not be accepted"

No other program has such a problem to the best of my knowledge which is what I wanted to double check. I transferred in 80 community college credits, 30 credits from excelsior, and 10 credits were a TECEP, AP exam, capstone, and one NCCRS test (those were all counted as CR).

This does not really worry me but it's just something that I think about. Not sure what "bluebooger" is trying to say...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Applying for Graduation dexter1326 3 1,669 09-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,406 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,712 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Tesu..finish a degree ad grad school Sb2013 11 3,273 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: SDO
  Need some final critiques before applying! MSK9 17 2,700 04-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Need Help - School that awards 60 credit general Asscociate Degree Synicaal 9 2,462 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Which school accepts FEMA? collegechick 13 9,169 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  issues applying to Charter Oak mdel210201 3 1,401 11-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  How many donate to their school as alumni? Life Long Learning 7 2,257 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  I'm finished and grad school encouragement bannerfield 8 2,622 09-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: alleycat